Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Correct way to install MediaStream skin - myfrog - 2009-02-11

Hi, please could someone advise me of the correct ssh command to transfer a skin from my Mac to my Ubuntu XBMC machine.

Kind regards, Steve

- billybig - 2009-02-11

olympia Wrote:Well, now I am the one who have two questions to ASUS P5N7A-VM owners:

1. Do you also need to first turn on the TV, then the HTPC to get any picture via HDMI? If I fist turn on the PC, then the TV, there is no picture at all...

2. Are you able to wake up the HTPC by USB keyboard (or any usb device) from S5 (power off) state?

Thank you for the feedbacks

I notice that if I don't have the correct input selected on my TV when I start the HTPC I will not get picture. I usually just SSH to the HTPC and reboot in order to get picture. However, I have noticed that when I don't get picture, and SSH to the HTPC, I can run a "top" and see that xbmc.bin is running at 100%. (or 150% on the C2D 8400) Not sure if that is relevant or not. It seems like xbmc is "confused" about where to send output. I haven't plugged in VGA to see if the Asus has defaulted to VGA out due to the fact that it didn't detect HDMI.

- joel_ezekiel - 2009-02-11

Hi there, first i must say the guide here is great, and i love the quick booting linux XBMC install however i have 2 problems which i cant seem to find a fix for that you may be able to help me with.

First is if i compile the latest SVN, while everything runs great, when i skip forward through an avi or mkv XBMC will crash, sometimes after the first, or second, third skip.

Second is lirc, if i put the PC to sleep, when i wake it up from sleep lirc fails to restart and i get error's stating that mceusb driver has failed to restart.

Third and final is just a quick query, can i get the number buttons on the remote to enter letters in an sms/phone style so i can skip through the thousands of movies i have by letter?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

- danillll - 2009-02-11

I posted this in the live section too, but this section is more active, sorry for the spam but I am desperate for a solution.

Guys I need your help BIG TIME!!!!

I've been trying to setup xbmc for the last 2 days and I am having the same issue.

My first try was using intrepid: I followed Olympia's guide in the linux section, everything was perfect until i started looking at the frames dropping like crazy when connected my htpc to the tv, although there was no obvious lags or stuttering (note i was doing the install using a regular flat panel monitor so didn't notice that it only happend with the tv connected)

This morning I tested the live CD on my monitor and there was no drops whatsoever, so I thought maybe it has to do with the known intrepid bug, so I decided to switch to xbmc live

I just finished installing live on my hdd, using the monitor everything was perfect, no drops, only 4 frames at the beginning of the "killa sample", so I thought it is perfect, however, once I hooked it up to the tv, the joy was vanished, I got the same drops that i experienced last night.

Any ideas?
could it be that I have the wrong xorg.conf and the tv refresh rate is not matching? I have tried the auto refresh and the vsync option, but no difference.

or

could that the motherboard is not efficient when hdmi is used, but i doubt cause it does not make sense

Here is my setup:

CPU INTEL|C2D E8400 3G 775 45N R - Retail
MEM 2GX2|A-DATA ADQVE1B16K R - Retail
MB GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H 9400 RT - Retail
DVD BURN LG|GH22NS30 22X SATA % - OEM
CASE ANTEC|NSK2480 BK/SIL RT - Retail

TV
plasma panasonic 50pz700u

I tested with the livecd xorg.conf and the one listed in the 3rd post

I tried with/without auto refresh and vsync

Please please tell me you know how to fix it.

Next step I am going to upgrade the bio

Thanks

- danillll - 2009-02-11

quick update,
I was playing with different resolutions and noticed the following under system info

1920X1080@6000hz (Full Screen) 29.97Hz

the 29.9 is going up to 30 and down to 29.95

so I started playing with different resolutions, and noticed that if I use 720 I get real 60HZ and the movies didn't drop a frame, however it didn't fill up the screen, only half of my tv

then I switched to 1920X1080 and (for one try only, I wasn't able to repro) it was sending real 60HZ and the movie was playing with no drops

but after I rebooted I am back to

and it is stuck to 29hz unless i switch to 720p

any ideas?

so it looks like it's a matter of configuring the xorg and setting the righ resolution, but I have no idea how to proceed, any suggestion

thanks

- olympia - 2009-02-11

joel_ezekiel Wrote:First is if i compile the latest SVN, while everything runs great, when i skip forward through an avi or mkv XBMC will crash, sometimes after the first, or second, third skip.

You most probably applied aron's patch. This is a known issue about that. Seems there is no cure yet.

joel_ezekiel Wrote:Third and final is just a quick query, can i get the number buttons on the remote to enter letters in an sms/phone style so i can skip through the thousands of movies i have by letter?

You should try to open a feature request ticket on trac for this and /or post at the feature requests. I like the idea anyway...

- olympia - 2009-02-11

myfrog Wrote:Hi, please could someone advise me of the correct ssh command to transfer a skin from my Mac to my Ubuntu XBMC machine.

Kind regards, Steve

Transfer it with Filezilla

- olympia - 2009-02-11

billybig Wrote:I haven't plugged in VGA to see if the Asus has defaulted to VGA out due to the fact that it didn't detect HDMI.

Thank you guys for the feedbacks, it seems this is a common issue then.
It's a bit annoying, but anyhow, if we use EDID in xorg.conf, then we have to turn on the TV first because of that matter as well....

What about turning on by USB device? Does this work for anyone?

- alanwww1 - 2009-02-11

danillll Wrote:1920X1080@6000hz (Full Screen) 29.97Hz

any ideas?

so it looks like it's a matter of configuring the xorg and setting the righ resolution, but I have no idea how to proceed, any suggestion
thanks

Please check which version of xorg.conf you have !
The one that has the "Flappanelscaling" option ?

You have to enable the "auto adjust refresh rate" function in xbmc setup/video setup menu.

This way (if your tv suppotrs it) xbmc will switch to the neares refresh rate needed for the different frame rate videos.

You can check the available framerates xbmc deteceted in the appearance seetings menu in xbmc. Try the following modes:

1920x1080 24Hz (for Blue ray material)
1920x1080 50Hz (For Pal Euro material)
1920x1080 60Hz (For Ntsc US material)

You have to make certain that your video card is really set to this resolution by pressing "S" on keyboard there you can check the "desired" and the actual refresh rate xbmc is running. If for each mode you see the same Hz for desired and real refresh rate than you are good to go.

If you need any more help just write.

One "little" thing i discovered. It is VERY IMPORTAND to turn off your TV's internal resizing function. For me with my samsung LCD if the screen mode was not set to only scanning mode (eg. 16:9) whatever i did in xbmc i had framedrops i suspect because the TV's resizing hardware can't handle the HD content OK.

- myfrog - 2009-02-11

olympia Wrote:Transfer it with Filezilla

But to what path?

Thansk, Steve

- olympia - 2009-02-11

myfrog Wrote:But to what path?

Thansk, Steve

It was already advised to you by harryzimm. The path he mentioned to you is correct.

- myfrog - 2009-02-11

olympia Wrote:It was already advised to you by harryzimm. The path he mentioned to you is correct.

In which case there may be an issue. When I add the skin to that path it doesn't register as one I can select. I am transfering the correct folder, not the containing folder.

The only path it will register in is /usr/share/xbmc/skin/

Any thoughts?

Kind Regards, Steve

- rodercot - 2009-02-11

danillll Wrote:quick update,
I was playing with different resolutions and noticed the following under system info

so I started playing with different resolutions, and noticed that if I use 720 I get real 60HZ and the movies didn't drop a frame, however it didn't fill up the screen, only half of my tv

then I switched to 1920X1080 and (for one try only, I wasn't able to repro) it was sending real 60HZ and the movie was playing with no drops

any ideas?

thanks

I am pretty sure that the rev in XBMCLive does not have the switch for autorefresh in the video settings menu, I am on the intrepid ppa version on my main machine which 168?? and it does not have it and live I think is an older rev than that.

Dave

- olympia - 2009-02-11

rodercot Wrote:I am pretty sure that the rev in XBMCLive does not have the switch for autorefresh in the video settings menu, I am on the intrepid ppa version on my main machine which 168?? and it does not have it and live I think is an older rev than that.

Dave

Sure, but he mentioned to use the Live step-by-step guide. Based on that I assume, he compiled recent SVN version.

@danillll
Did you tried the xorg.conf from this Intrepid guide with your Live based system?

- harryzimm - 2009-02-11

danillll Wrote:quick update,

any ideas?

thanks

I had the same problem, the solution believe it or not is to run your ram in dual mode. Which means you need to have two sticks and when you insert your ram make sure you insert it to the same colour slot in the mb. I also upgraded my ram cause cheap ddr2 667 would not cut it. Problem solved. By the way, before i upgraded i also noticed that changing the res around i could get 60hz @ 1920x1080 but it was lost after a reboot.Huh

cheers.

@ olympia
Quote:Do you also need to first turn on the TV, then the HTPC to get any picture via HDMI? If I fist turn on the PC, then the TV, there is no picture at all...

Just tested this with the p5n7a-vm and my setup works perfectly it doesn't matter if the tv is on or off when i boot. btw im using your guide so i reckon its a tv issue.

cheers