Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- Halvliter - 2009-03-14

I used this guide on my fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 (Not mini-CD, full) and it worked perfectly up to this part:

Quote:Autoboot and autostart XBMC

NEXT STEP
# cd $home

NEXT STEP
# wget http://217.20.138.65/xbmc/.xsession

NEXT STEP
# sudo nano /etc/event.d/tty2

Comment out the last line (with #) and add the following line, so the end of the file should look like this:

respawn
#exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty2
exec /sbin/mingetty --autologin xbmc tty2

(Please note: replace „xbmc” with username you installed with)

NEXT STEP
# nano .bash_profile

Copy the following text into it, then save the file:

if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty2 ]; then

startx -- -br
fi

When I log in i get this error:

"You session lasted less than 10 seconds. If you didn't log out yourself this may be because you have a problem with the install or you are out of diskspace. Try to log in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if this solves your problem.

~/.xsession-errors file shows this:

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=nb_NO.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/Xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
Fatal error encountered, aborting
Error log at /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.log
The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
Aborted (core dumped).

- pyrates - 2009-03-14

Halvliter Wrote:I used this guide on my fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 (Not mini-CD, full) and it worked perfectly up to this part:

When I log in i get this error:

"You session lasted less than 10 seconds. If you didn't log out yourself this may be because you have a problem with the install or you are out of diskspace. Try to log in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if this solves your problem.

~/.xsession-errors file shows this:

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=nb_NO.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/Xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
Fatal error encountered, aborting
Error log at /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.log
The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
Aborted (core dumped).

Because you don't have an .Xsession file. The one you downloaded was misnamed. Rename it to .Xesssion in your home/username/ directory.

And instead of .bash_profile, it should be .bash_login. They should fix this in the guide.

- olympia - 2009-03-14

pyrates Wrote:Because you don't have an .Xsession file. The one you downloaded was misnamed. Rename it to .Xesssion in your home/username/ directory.

And instead of .bash_profile, it should be .bash_login. They should fix this in the guide.

You might be right, but you also forgeting the fact, that it is working for a lot of people in THIS way. So maybe not the nicest way, but it works! Anyway, I will have a look into this. If it can also better satisfy linux geeks, than I will change this. Angry

Why it is not working for Halvliter, is the fact that he is ignoring (God knows why) that the guide is for minimal version. Maybe he was thinking that this statement of the begining of the guide is a joke. Rolleyes

- Asswipe44 - 2009-03-14

olympia Wrote:You might be right, but you also forgeting the fact, that it is working for a lot of people in THIS way. So maybe not the nicest way, but it works! Anyway, I will have a look into this. If it can also better satisfy linux geeks, than I will change this. Angry

Why it is not working for Halvliter, is the fact that he is ignoring (God knows why) that the guide is for minimal version. Maybe he was thinking that this statement of the begining of the guide is a joke. Rolleyes

LOL, I was about to try EXACTLY what Halvliter tried because my installation of mini Hardy isn't allowing me to login remotely via ssh despite the fact that I selected it at the required prompt. Back to the faulty Intrepid I go Angry Sad

- Halvliter - 2009-03-14

I'm no Linux geek, so please excuse me. I've been using Linux for 3 days, before I found this guide, and I didn't know that it was that crucial that I used the mini-version, I thought Ubuntu was Ubuntu.

I will try what pyrates said, if that not works I will install with the mini-CD.

- olympia - 2009-03-14

Halvliter Wrote:I'm no Linux geek, so please excuse me. I've been using Linux for 3 days, before I found this guide, and I didn't know that it was that crucial that I used the mini-version, I thought Ubuntu was Ubuntu.

I will try what pyrates said, if that not works I will install with the mini-CD.

If you are installing gnome, you have to solve autostart in a completely different way.

...and boot time will be much slower.

- olympia - 2009-03-14

Asswipe44 Wrote:LOL, I was about to try EXACTLY what Halvliter tried because my installation of mini Hardy isn't allowing me to login remotely via ssh despite the fact that I selected it at the required prompt. Back to the faulty Intrepid I go Angry Sad

Is ssh server installed for sure? Did you try

apt-get install openssh-server

?

Anyway, for me, Intrepid with vdpau branch seems to be a real winner combo as of today...

- Halvliter - 2009-03-14

Bah, I'm out of burning CD's and DVD's. Is it possible to "transfer" the mini-Ubuntu on a SD-card and install it to my HDD from that part ? (I only have a 1 GB card)

- olympia - 2009-03-14

Halvliter Wrote:Bah, I'm out of burning CD's and DVD's. Is it possible to "transfer" the mini-Ubuntu on a SD-card and install it to my HDD from that part ? (I only have a 1 GB card)

I am not sure if there is an easy way to do that.
Maybe you can try to install from the full CD and uncheck everything during the installation, especially gdm.

- Halvliter - 2009-03-14

I finally found one DVD, burned it, installed it, rebooted and got Error 17, cannot mount into selected partition or something.... FANTASTIC! Big Grin

- olympia - 2009-03-14

Halvliter Wrote:I finally found one DVD, burned it, installed it, rebooted and got Error 17, cannot mount into selected partition or something.... FANTASTIC! Big Grin

Well, if you read the first paragraph of the Preparation of the guide... Smile

- Halvliter - 2009-03-14

I used the Hardy Heron mini iso Smile

My install ? - butchjr - 2009-03-14

So I followed the guide. I have two issues. I configure everything in alsamixer, press esc, reboot, and my settings is lost. I tried the alsactl store (with and without sudo) and everything is lost when I reboot. What else is there? I tried to upgrade, and downgrade alsa, and my settings is lost everytime I reboot.

Issue number two. I downloaded the PolicyKit.conf but i cant shutdown, or reboot, or anything else from within XBMC. What have I done wrong?

And I have a suggestion concerning usplash. On both my htpcConfused i need to add vga=791 to my menu.1st to get the usplash to show. Perhaps others have experienced the same?

I apologize for my bad english, and I hope someone understand what i'm writing, and hopefully can help me with some answears.

- olympia - 2009-03-14

Halvliter Wrote:I used the Hardy Heron mini iso Smile

Then it has to be something with the partitioning.
If it is going to be a standalone htpc, try delete all partitions first, then let the installer autoconfigure it.

- olympia - 2009-03-14

butchjr Wrote:So I followed the guide. I have two issues. I configure everything in alsamixer, press esc, reboot, and my settings is lost. I tried the alsactl store (with and without sudo) and everything is lost when I reboot. What else is there? I tried to upgrade, and downgrade alsa, and my settings is lost everytime I reboot.

Issue number two. I downloaded the PolicyKit.conf but i cant shutdown, or reboot, or anything else from within XBMC. What have I done wrong?

And I have a suggestion concerning usplash. On both my htpcConfused i need to add vga=791 to my menu.1st to get the usplash to show. Perhaps others have experienced the same?

I apologize for my bad english, and I hope someone understand what i'm writing, and hopefully can help me with some answears.

I think this is something with rights. Didn't you do everything as root?