Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- queeup - 2009-03-14

you must learn some linux basics before asking questions. Because some times its difficult to explane. @olympia, you are very patient person and also charitable Smile

- butchjr - 2009-03-14

I did everything as root, and then i did everything as user, and there is no difference. I get sound, but i cant save the settings. It has worked before, but not this time.

- bobb0 - 2009-03-14

Hey Olympia. I love your guide. It's fantastic, I got my XBMC box up and running in no time.

I do have a couple modifications to suggest. I'm not really a fan of using mingetty to autologin a console. The current incarnation would drop me to a login prompt on tty1 if xbmc crashed, I was confused about this since tty4 was configured to respawn on crash/exit. I realized that when xbmc crashed, tty4 would sit at a console that is already logged in (eek!). As soon as I type exit, the terminal would autologin again and respawn xbmc. So, the login script that runs xbmc needs an exit/logout command after xbmc to get xbmc to respawn. I chose not to do this, however. Instead, I am using the XBMCLive scripts to run X/XBMC as a service. I just copied the files from svn XBMC/tools/XBMCLive to the appropriate locations and pared down the /etc/init.d/xbmc script, removing all the unnecessary fs mounting stuff. (Literally I pared it down to stop usplash, runXBMC.sh) The key to doing it this way, and the thing that took me a whole week to figure out is "dpkg-reconfigure x11-common" and allow X to run as Anybody, not just from the console.

Also, I find usplash doesn't stay on during the bootup. It seems to appear, pulse a number of times and then drop back to the console where it starts with "Setting preliminary keymap... [ OK ]" which is a pretty early-on message in the boot sequence. I prolly just messed it up somehow, but since it only seems to delay the boot process, I'm looking to remove usplash all together for now.

Thanks again for your excellent guide. It would have taken me forever to figure out how to setup my own xbmc set-top box otherwise. Smile

Edit: I was just reading the posts above, and wanted to add. I didn't like the mini iso (I guess I am just too impatient when it comes to installing the OS. Perhaps that is because I did it 20 times (approx) before getting things setup the way I liked... anyway, I used the 8.10 alternate install cd. The steps were the exact same, same menus, etc and I didn't have to wait to download packages. I guess I'd just rather do a "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade" post-install.

- olympia - 2009-03-14

bobb0 Wrote:Instead, I am using the XBMCLive scripts to run X/XBMC as a service. I just copied the files from svn XBMC/tools/XBMCLive to the appropriate locations and pared down the /etc/init.d/xbmc script, removing all the unnecessary fs mounting stuff. (Literally I pared it down to stop usplash, runXBMC.sh)

Love that idea. Make sense. Could you please send me your stripped version of /etc/init.d/xbmc?

bobb0 Wrote:Also, I find usplash doesn't stay on during the bootup. It seems to appear, pulse a number of times and then drop back to the console where it starts with "Setting preliminary keymap... [ OK ]" which is a pretty early-on message in the boot sequence. I prolly just messed it up somehow, but since it only seems to delay the boot process, I'm looking to remove usplash all together for now.

Same here. It wasn't like that before. I think that was introduced at a certain version of nvidia driver. Although I don't think it is delaying boot, but we definitely should figure this out.

bobb0 Wrote:Edit: I was just reading the posts above, and wanted to add. I didn't like the mini iso (I guess I am just too impatient when it comes to installing the OS. Perhaps that is because I did it 20 times (approx) before getting things setup the way I liked... anyway, I used the 8.10 alternate install cd. The steps were the exact same, same menus, etc and I didn't have to wait to download packages. I guess I'd just rather do a "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade" post-install.

Never tried that. I will have a look on that.

- pyrates - 2009-03-14

olympia Wrote:You might be right, but you also forgeting the fact, that it is working for a lot of people in THIS way. So maybe not the nicest way, but it works! Anyway, I will have a look into this. If it can also better satisfy linux geeks, than I will change this. Angry

Why it is not working for Halvliter, is the fact that he is ignoring (God knows why) that the guide is for minimal version. Maybe he was thinking that this statement of the begining of the guide is a joke. Rolleyes

Well that is exactly what I did and I got everything working.

I also put startx in a loop in a bash script so that if it crashed, it would relaunch. My .bash_login file:

if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty2 ]; then

/home/username/launchx

fi

and launchx with a+x set for it:

#!/bin/bash
while [ 1 ]
do
startx -- -br
sleep 2
done

edit: I see you fixed the wiki entry to use .bash_login, but you also need to put to rename /home/username/.xsession to /home/username/.Xsession. The capital X is important when startx is ran.

- olympia - 2009-03-14

pyrates Wrote:edit: I see you fixed the wiki entry to use .bash_login, but you also need to put to rename /home/username/.xsession to /home/username/.Xsession. The capital X is important when startx is ran.

That's simple not true!

...and as I mentioned earlier, I only modified .bash_profile to .bash_login because it more nice, official and professional way. Not because it was not working on that way...

- pyrates - 2009-03-14

olympia Wrote:That's simple not true!

...and as I mentioned earlier, I only modified .bash_profile to .bash_login because it more nice, official and professional way. Not because it was not working on that way...

Well it didn't work for me until I made those 2 changes Smile

- Asswipe44 - 2009-03-14

olympia Wrote:Is ssh server installed for sure? Did you try

apt-get install openssh-server

?

Anyway, for me, Intrepid with vdpau branch seems to be a real winner combo as of today...

Yeah, I tried and it said that it's already installed. Absolutely clueless as to where the problem is. Huh

Oh well, I'm glad I was able to get the Intrepid version up and running but just wondering how to install the VDPAU build as per your instructions. I'm guessing VDPAU is available in my case since I have the same ASUS board as you. I replaced the regular XBMC checkout with the one I found on the forums (the post where it's suggested not to "make install") and proceeded with your instructions the rest of the way.

Thanks for your already tremendous amount of help in Linux. Big Grin

- olympia - 2009-03-14

pyrates Wrote:Well it didn't work for me until I made those 2 changes Smile

Maybe because you also installed full version instead of mini.iso. It is working for numerous people who was properly followed everything.

And now I stop arguing on that, and kindly ask you to not further advertising misleading info, if you were not fully using the guide for your installation!

- olympia - 2009-03-14

Asswipe44 Wrote:Yeah, I tried and it said that it's already installed. Absolutely clueless as to where the problem is. Huh

Oh well, I'm glad I was able to get the Intrepid version up and running but just wondering how to install the VDPAU build as per your instructions. I'm guessing VDPAU is available in my case since I have the same ASUS board as you. I replaced the regular XBMC checkout with the one I found on the forums (the post where it's suggested not to "make install") and proceeded with your instructions the rest of the way.

Thanks for your already tremendous amount of help in Linux. Big Grin

Things changed. Now the only way to make it works to use sudo make install.

The way you should install it.

Code:
cd $home

Code:
svn checkout https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/xbmc-vdpau/XBMC

Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse

Code:
make -j2

Code:
sudo make install

- Asswipe44 - 2009-03-14

Awesome! Were there any additional tweaks you did to your mobo? Currently, the only thing I changed from the default was the Intel Speedstep feature to enable CPU scaling.

Thank you SO MUCH!!

- olympia - 2009-03-14

Asswipe44 Wrote:Awesome! Were there any additional tweaks you did to your mobo? Currently, the only thing I changed from the default was the Intel Speedstep feature to enable CPU scaling.

Thank you SO MUCH!!

- I added the xbmc bios splash
- For vdpau you have to increase video memory to 512MB from the default 256MB
- Personally I also prefer disabling unused ports, like lpt, but that's not important

- Asswipe44 - 2009-03-14

Got it. I'm guessing the 512 MB option is under Chipset Configuration and if so, I just set the buffer mode to manual and select it, correct?

- olympia - 2009-03-14

Asswipe44 Wrote:Got it. I'm guessing the 512 MB option is under Chipset Configuration and if so, I just set the buffer mode to manual and select it, correct?

Definitely.

- Asswipe44 - 2009-03-14

Sweet! One last thing, there's an option to select something like PCI VGA, PCIE VGA, and internal VGA. If I'm using the mobo NVIDIA, which of these do I select? I'm guessing it's the internal one. Oo

Edit: I got it up and running and selected the 512MB buffer size option. Now, my 1080p planet earth vc-1 files play with worse skipping than before. The load is off both CPUs, but it's like my GPU can't handle it for some reason. Again, I have a P5N7A-VM board with NVIDIA Geforce 9300 on board, so I'm breaking my head trying to understand what the problem is. For now, I'll use glsl shaders.