Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- pyrates - 2009-03-14

olympia Wrote:Maybe because you also installed full version instead of mini.iso. It is working for numerous people who was properly followed everything.

And now I stop arguing on that, and kindly ask you to not further advertising misleading info, if you were not fully using the guide for your installation!

I installed it from the mini iso on both versions of Ubuntu, and both times I had to make those changes.

- olympia - 2009-03-15

Asswipe44 Wrote:Sweet! One last thing, there's an option to select something like PCI VGA, PCIE VGA, and internal VGA. If I'm using the mobo NVIDIA, which of these do I select? I'm guessing it's the internal one. Oo

Edit: I got it up and running and selected the 512MB buffer size option. Now, my 1080p planet earth vc-1 files play with worse skipping than before. The load is off both CPUs, but it's like my GPU can't handle it for some reason. Again, I have a P5N7A-VM board with NVIDIA Geforce 9300 on board, so I'm breaking my head trying to understand what the problem is. For now, I'll use glsl shaders.

hmmmm. Interesting.
Do you have other movies to try?

- Asswipe44 - 2009-03-15

olympia Wrote:hmmmm. Interesting.
Do you have other movies to try?

Yeah, I have 1080p x264 version of The Dark Knight and it also has worse performance as in stuttering video and many frame drops. Does yours work fine when playing back 1080p files? Huh

- majorheadache - 2009-03-15

olympia Wrote:Anyway, for me, Intrepid with vdpau branch seems to be a real winner combo as of today...

I've heard bits and pieces here and there but I've never seen a definitive answer to this:

what are the deciding factors when considering whether to go Hardy or Intrepid, in this specific application?

- olympia - 2009-03-15

majorheadache Wrote:I've heard bits and pieces here and there but I've never seen a definitive answer to this:

what are the deciding factors when considering whether to go Hardy or Intrepid, in this specific application?

I would say only HW support at the moment. Intrepid is better supporting new HW. If your setup is fully supported by Hardy, there is no need to use Intrepid. Especially if you are not using the vdpau branch, because then you have to struggle with the performance bug of Intrepid.

Personally I have to use Intrepid to have suspend up and running on my setup.

- olympia - 2009-03-15

Asswipe44 Wrote:Yeah, I have 1080p x264 version of The Dark Knight and it also has worse performance as in stuttering video and many frame drops. Does yours work fine when playing back 1080p files? Huh

Yes indeed. It's working for VC1 files and x264 mkv's as well.

That's weired. Did you install the linuxport before checked out the vdpau branch?
Also, do you have nvidia 180.37 in place?

- Asswipe44 - 2009-03-15

olympia Wrote:Yes indeed. It's working for VC1 files and x264 mkv's as well.

That's weired. Did you install the linuxport before checked out the vdpau branch?
Also, do you have nvidia 180.37 in place?

I installed the VDPAU branch by itself without installing the linux port. Should I install the linuxport as per your instructions first? If so, how do I install the VDPAU branch on top of it?

- olympia - 2009-03-15

Asswipe44 Wrote:I installed the VDPAU branch by itself without installing the linux port. Should I install the linuxport as per your instructions first? If so, how do I install the VDPAU branch on top of it?

No, definitely not. It should be done in the way you did.
Then I have no clue what can be the bottleneck. (network maybe)

- xnappo - 2009-03-15

Asswipe44 Wrote:Yeah, I have 1080p x264 version of The Dark Knight and it also has worse performance as in stuttering video and many frame drops. Does yours work fine when playing back 1080p files? Huh

You are likely suffering from this problem:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=46783

There are a couple of work-arounds in that thread. Starting in 'auto' then switching to 1080p, or just running in 1080i (which seems to really be 1080p anyway).

xnappo

- AllanMar - 2009-03-15

Try the starting XBMC is Auto then changing to 1080p and hitting test resolution first. Playing in 1080i hasnt been working perfectly for everyone with this problem....

- gilgongo - 2009-03-15

Excellent HOWTO!

I've just made a minor edit on the first step to make it clear that this is a default install (ie not "cli" or "cli-expert" mode). I found that a little confusing at first.

Also, a couple of other questions:

1. Is there any further info about the step that says "If you want your Xorg autodetect the native resolutions from EDID"? Would be nice to explain that a bit because it seems optional, but it's not very clear.

2. advancedsettings.xml doesn't seem to exist on a fresh install. Do you have to create it? If so, where?

3. On Hardy, there doesn't appear to be a line in /etc/sysctl.conf for "dev.cdrom.lock=0" so I just added it.

- pyrates - 2009-03-15

gilgongo Wrote:Excellent HOWTO!

I've just made a minor edit on the first step to make it clear that this is a default install (ie not "cli" or "cli-expert" mode). I found that a little confusing at first.

Also, a couple of other questions:

1. Is there any further info about the step that says "If you want your Xorg autodetect the native resolutions from EDID"? Would be nice to explain that a bit because it seems optional, but it's not very clear.

2. advancedsettings.xml doesn't seem to exist on a fresh install. Do you have to create it? If so, where?

3. On Hardy, there doesn't appear to be a line in /etc/sysctl.conf for "dev.cdrom.lock=0" so I just added it.

To answer your questions.

1. It means it will switch to your hdtv's native display mode. With the exception if it's 1080p and it supports 1080p24, it will then switch to that mode automatically if it matches the framerate of the video you're playing.

2. See here for info on it.

3. Yes that's normal. I had to do it too.

- bobb0 - 2009-03-16

olympia Wrote:Love that idea. Make sense. Could you please send me your stripped version of /etc/init.d/xbmc?

Hey Olympia, here it is. I'm not sure if lsb/init-functions is necessary anymore but I didn't want to take it out. i think log_action_begin_msg uses it.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#/etc/init.d/xbmc

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

case "$1" in
  start)
        log_action_begin_msg "Configuring system and starting XBMC"

# if usplash is running, make sure to stop it now, yes "start" kills it.
        if pidof usplash > /dev/null; then
                DO_NOT_SWITCH_VT=yes /etc/init.d/usplash start
        fi

runXBMC.sh &

log_action_end_msg 0
        ;;
  stop)
        killall Xorg xbmc
        ;;

esac

exit 0

- bobb0 - 2009-03-16

I'm also considering making my .xsession permanent, instead of having runXBMC.sh re-create it all the time. Last time I tried I seemed to have missed a line that deletes the file when XBMC/X quits.

- olympia - 2009-03-16

bobb0 Wrote:I'm also considering making my .xsession permanent, instead of having runXBMC.sh re-create it all the time. Last time I tried I seemed to have missed a line that deletes the file when XBMC/X quits.

Yes, that's strange. I am wondering why Luigi decided to do it in that way... Huh
There must me a good reason for that, but might be only valid for XBMC Live environment.

Thanks for the input!
Concerning /etc/init.d/xbmc, I think we should leave setAlsaVolumes.py in, and if I am right, we can be sure, that none of the channels stay muted, therefore we can miss out one step to run alsamixer and unmute them manually.