Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- lcapriotti - 2009-03-16

the reason being that if you want to enter a standard X session you can't if you have the .xsession permanently created.
There are chances you may want to do that at least one, for example if you want to optimize GL performances with some vendor GUI (read ATI?)

- bobb0 - 2009-03-16

l.capriotti Wrote:the reason being that if you want to enter a standard X session you can't if you have the .xsession permanently created.
There are chances you may want to do that at least one, for example if you want to optimize GL performances with some vendor GUI (read ATI?)

Ahh, that's right. Good point. I had thought of that, but obviously forgot (stupid memory!). Non-permanence is in! Wink

- SilverSide - 2009-03-16

After being used to use xbmc installed on a WinXP pc I just ran into this guide.

I've just installed XBMC using this guide. Works like a charm hooked up to my Samsung SyncMaster 206bw.

However when ik hook it up to my Sony Bravia downstairs the screen stays black... I guess the installed screensize (1600x1050) is not supported by my Bravia.

How can i change the screensize of XBMC using Putty?

I would like to have the menu displayed in 720P, the screen resolution when playing movies set to Auto.

p.s. i'm a Linux noob. Please keep that in mind when replying Wink

- harryzimm - 2009-03-16

easiest way is to delete guisettings.xml from userdata.

Code:
sudo rm /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

cheers

- gilgongo - 2009-03-16

I've just found out something about my newly installed XBMC setup after following the HOWTO: my external USB drive seems to be mounted read-only (/etc/mtab shows it as "ro" and I can't write to it).

Does anyone know what I can do about that? I'm used to copying media onto it over SMB (setting up smb.conf to share it).

EDIT: Looks like hal's responsible, so I've put a manual entry into fstab which seems to work OK now, but now I can't get the samba permissions on it to work right. Hm.

- Jaco2k - 2009-03-17

I have switched to VDPAU branch - where do I edit the autstart script to point it to the right directory?

- harryzimm - 2009-03-17

Jaco2k Wrote:I have switched to VDPAU branch - where do I edit the autstart script to point it to the right directory?

In the vdpau branch Just do a "./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse", "make", "sudo make install", then you dont need change anything.

cheers.

- Jaco2k - 2009-03-17

harryzimm Wrote:In the vdpau branch Just do a "./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse", "make", "sudo make install", then you dont need change anything.

cheers.

I suspected that, but...
...that implies re-compilling, no? took ages on my CPU Smile

- harryzimm - 2009-03-17

Yes you will have to recompile, although it shouldn't take as long the second time around. I recomend this over changing the .xsession.

cheers.

- bobb0 - 2009-03-17

i think i am going to try it with pulse. i found a problem where the hdmi out only supports 48k and i can't get alsa to resample the output proper. log file says broken pipe, so all the music i play sounds like the singer took a mild dose of helium.

i'm probably just asking for a world of hurt Tongue

Edit: Ugh, I forgot how much I hate pulseaudio. I figured out how to create a alias for the hdmi out and force alsa to resample all input to 48khz. anyway, this post is getting OT, so i'll stop now Wink

- SilverSide - 2009-03-17

harryzimm Wrote:easiest way is to delete guisettings.xml from userdata.

Code:
sudo rm /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

cheers

Thanks for your reply! It looks that XBMC is now also running downstairs Smile

Thanks!

- olympia - 2009-03-17

l.capriotti Wrote:the reason being that if you want to enter a standard X session you can't if you have the .xsession permanently created.

Pretty simple, but rational reason. Smile Thanks, Luigi.
May I ask your support on one more thing?

I try to make your setAlsaVolumes script running from /etc/init.d/xbmc, as in XBMC Live.

Currently /etc/init.d/xbmc looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#/etc/init.d/xbmc

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

get_opt() {
    echo "$@" | cut -d "=" -f 2
}

CMDLINE=$(cat /proc/cmdline)

#Process command line options
XBMC_PARAMS=""
for i in ${CMDLINE}; do
    case "${i}" in
        xbmc\=*)
                XBMC_PARAMS=$(get_opt $i)
                ;;
    esac
done

case "$1" in
  start)
        log_action_begin_msg "Starting XBMC"

XBMC_SETVOLUME="$( echo $XBMC_PARAMS | grep "setvolume" )"
        if [ "$XBMC_SETVOLUME" != "" ]; then
                /usr/bin/setAlsaVolumes.py
        fi

# if usplash is running, make sure to stop it now, yes "start" kills it.
        if pidof usplash > /dev/null; then
                DO_NOT_SWITCH_VT=yes /etc/init.d/usplash start
        fi

/usr/bin/runXBMC.sh &

log_action_end_msg 0
        ;;
  stop)
        killall Xorg xbmc
        ;;

esac

exit 0

Something must be wrong, as setAlsaVolumes.py are not run by the above script (Forgive me for this, but actually I cannot decrypt what's happening in the first part of the script (init-functions; get_opt; XBMC_PARAMS)).
If I run setAlsaVolumes.py manually, it's working.

When I ran setAlsaVolumes.py manually, it set all volumes to 100%, but didn't unmute muted IEC devices. Would it be possible to unmute them from the script as well?

- lcapriotti - 2009-03-17

in the above script, as well as in the latest live one, the setvolume script is called only if the kernel command line contains the token "setvolume" inside the xbmc parameters. Example:

Code:
kernel /vmlinuz initrd=initrd0.img xbmc=setvolume

As per unmuting, tks for pointing it out, I will commit a fix soon (add unmute to amixer sset cmdline)

- olympia - 2009-03-17

l.capriotti Wrote:in the above script, as well as in the latest live one, the setvolume script is called only if the kernel command line contains the token "setvolume" inside the xbmc parameters. Example:

Code:
kernel /vmlinuz initrd=initrd0.img xbmc=setvolume

As per unmuting, tks for pointing it out, I will commit a fix soon (add unmute to amixer sset cmdline)

Aaaahh, OK, I see now, thank you for the explanation.
And how did you handle to add this token to the kernel command line in Live, in a userfriendly way? Is there an option for this during the installation, or you set it by default?

Thank you again!

- lcapriotti - 2009-03-17

olympia Wrote:And how did you handle to add this token to the kernel command line in Live, in a userfriendly way? Is there an option for this during the installation, or you set it by default?

it's part of the default grub parameters since if you don't perform an "alsactl store" the levels are lost at reboot.