Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- ashlar - 2009-03-19

olympia Wrote:I cannot imagine that anyone willing to use the mobo's analog out in a decent htpc setup.
As mentioned, you can't resample AC3 stuff and resampling is needed for Reclock. Also, it's not necessarily the motherboard's analog out. I have an X-Fi with decent DACs and there are professional soundcards with awesome sound quality through analog out.

- ChuckMcB - 2009-03-20

karifsmith Wrote:I've followed the guide several times in the last few weeks successfully. Now, I am getting an error on the Installing the Prerequisites for Intrepid.

Code:
sudo apt-get install -y localepurge subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev mesa-utils wget zip curl build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` xorg pm-utils mingetty

It gave me a message saying "package libpng-dev is a virtual package you should explicitly select one to install"

I then updated the above command by replacing the 'libpng-dev' with 'libpng12-dev' and it seems to be working again.

Did the guide change because I did not have this issue last week?

Got this same message with my Hardy 8.04 install, followed karifsmith's lead and replaced 'libpng-dev' with 'libpng12-dev', let's hope all works as expected.

Something else that's not in the Wiki:

After:
Code:
./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh -di
this is displayed:
Quote:[sudo] password for xbmc:

-------------------------------------------------------------
- Alsa will be downloaded and installed
-------------------------------------------------------------

Choose Alsa Package (1) 1.0.19 default[1]:

Let's hope that selecting 1 is the right thing to do.

(Hardy 8.04 USB Drive install)

- olympia - 2009-03-20

ChuckMcB Wrote:Got this same message with my Hardy 8.04 install, followed karifsmith's lead and replaced 'libpng-dev' with 'libpng12-dev', let's hope all works as expected.

Thanks, corrected.

ChuckMcB Wrote:Something else that's not in the Wiki:

After:
Code:
./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh -di
this is displayed:

Let's hope that selecting 1 is the right thing to do.

(Hardy 8.04 USB Drive install)

sure!

- olympia - 2009-03-20

ashlar Wrote:As mentioned, you can't resample AC3 stuff and resampling is needed for Reclock. Also, it's not necessarily the motherboard's analog out. I have an X-Fi with decent DACs and there are professional soundcards with awesome sound quality through analog out.

Shocked
As I mentioned I am not a pro on this, by any means. I have to catch up...

But there is several questions then:
- How do you connect your htpc's analog output the amps, having only spdif and/or hdmi for multichannel input?
- What if the soundcard supporting 44.1kHz, do we need resampling in this case too?
- Is X-Fi supported well by Ubuntu in terms of usage with xbmc?

- ChuckMcB - 2009-03-20

olympia Wrote:Thanks, corrected.
np.

Another issue :p

'sudo make install' is giving me this error:
Code:
Copying XBMC binary to /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin
cp: cannot stat `xbmc.bin': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1

Forum search seem to indicate that "make -j2" is failing to complete. I've tried to run it twice now (I noticed that one of the devs mentioned the command was "make -j 2" [note the space between 'j' and '2'.]).

It now looks like I've maxed out my 4GB USB drive, as I'm getting "No space left on device" errors. I'm presuming (hoping?) that there are multiple tmp files on the drive that I can flush and try again. Any pointers how I clear myself some room?

Edit: Or I could just delete the XBMC directory and checkout the code again...

Edit #2: ratz, that didn't work. Now there is no enough space to checkout the code...Any advice?

- darkside22 - 2009-03-20

Hi! Is there a way to go back to KDE after having done the autostart with XBMC? I would need to update something but reloading XMBC doesn't take me to login screen No

Thanks in advance!

- ashlar - 2009-03-21

olympia Wrote:- How do you connect your htpc's analog output the amps, having only spdif and/or hdmi for multichannel input?
- What if the soundcard supporting 44.1kHz, do we need resampling in this case too?
- Is X-Fi supported well by Ubuntu in terms of usage with xbmc?
- I'm not sure I get the question but usually you use three 3.5 jacks that split to L-R/C-SW/RL-RR.
- All soundcards that I know of support 48Hz, if that was the question
- It seems to be, from what I read on this forum (but it's not just for my X-Fi, mind Smile).

- paac - 2009-03-21

First of all, I cannot praise this how-to enough Smile

It's now very simple to have a great versitale full featured Linux media PC.. can't be much better!

Anyhow..

I do have a slight problem.

I just made a fresh install of Intrepid x86 (my previous install was from this how-to as well, but from one of the first revisions) using the VDPAU-branch and with the beta NVIDIA driver 185.13.

However, the problem I had with my first install is still on this one. My TV (a Sony KDL-46W4000) which is connected first to a receiver via HDMI, then to my HTPC, is reporting 1080i-resolution... and the automatic change of refresh rate doesn't seem to work.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H using the integrated graphics (it's got the same chipset as olympia's motherboard). I've also highered the VRAM to 512mb.

So, do you guys think it might be my TV? Or should I try and hack the xorg.conf? (am using the one from the how-to).

Thanks in advance!

- majorheadache - 2009-03-21

paac Wrote:First of all, I cannot praise this how-to enough Smile

It's now very simple to have a great versitale full featured Linux media PC.. can't be much better!

Anyhow..

I do have a slight problem.

I just made a fresh install of Intrepid x86 (my previous install was from this how-to as well, but from one of the first revisions) using the VDPAU-branch and with the beta NVIDIA driver 185.13.

However, the problem I had with my first install is still on this one. My TV (a Sony KDL-46W4000) which is connected first to a receiver via HDMI, then to my HTPC, is reporting 1080i-resolution... and the automatic change of refresh rate doesn't seem to work.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H using the integrated graphics (it's got the same chipset as olympia's motherboard). I've also highered the VRAM to 512mb.

So, do you guys think it might be my TV? Or should I try and hack the xorg.conf? (am using the one from the how-to).

Thanks in advance!

Can you try connecting the HTPC directly to the TV? I would suspect that either the receiver is mis-reporting what the TV is capable of (or not reporting at all), or the receiver is downgrading the HTPC signal for some reason.

- mhardy - 2009-03-21

ChuckMcB Wrote:np.

Another issue :p

'sudo make install' is giving me this error:
Code:
Copying XBMC binary to /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin
cp: cannot stat `xbmc.bin': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1

Forum search seem to indicate that "make -j2" is failing to complete. I've tried to run it twice now (I noticed that one of the devs mentioned the command was "make -j 2" [note the space between 'j' and '2'.]).

It now looks like I've maxed out my 4GB USB drive, as I'm getting "No space left on device" errors. I'm presuming (hoping?) that there are multiple tmp files on the drive that I can flush and try again. Any pointers how I clear myself some room?

Edit: Or I could just delete the XBMC directory and checkout the code again...

Edit #2: ratz, that didn't work. Now there is no enough space to checkout the code...Any advice?

I'm getting the same error when trying to run sudo make install. I've tried removing the entire xbmc directory and starting fresh multiple times. I've used make and make -j2, both end up with the same error. One of the times I ran make, I received an error about dvddemux.ffmpeg or something, so I installed ffmepg through apt-get and that allowed make to at least finish. I still get the same error when I try to install though.

As for clearing space, I think there might be a /tmp directory, maybe check in there for files you remove. I don't have access to my htpc at the moment to check for sure though.

- paac - 2009-03-21

majorheadache Wrote:Can you try connecting the HTPC directly to the TV? I would suspect that either the receiver is mis-reporting what the TV is capable of (or not reporting at all), or the receiver is downgrading the HTPC signal for some reason.

Oh.. it was that. I thought my receiver just picked up the sound and passed-through everything else.

I'll have to dig out an optical cable now Smile

Thanks for the advise!

- olympia - 2009-03-22

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=300779&postcount=8

After I had read this post (and this is not the first from this kind), I decided not to maintain this guide in the future.

(If althekiller had read the initial notes and warnings, he would had realized, this is for a non-gdm setup, there was also a warning for that with red, therefore not make sense an other warning in the middle of the guide to think twice, and use gdm (which is even not installed, so just confusing the users), and as such...)

So, please consider a FULL UBUNTU INSTALLATION in the future, as this is the OFFICIAL and SUPPORTED way from Team-XBMC!

Without official welcome and support from Team-XBMC, maintaining the guide further is not worth the efforts and doesn't make any sense.

However, it was a nice fun for me till today.

Olympia

- xnappo - 2009-03-22

olympia Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=300779&postcount=8

After I had read this post (and this is not the first from this kind), I decided not to maintain this guide in the future.

Without official welcome and support from Team-XBMC, maintaining the guide further is not worth the efforts and doesn't make any sense.

However, it was a nice fun for me till today.

Olympia

Olympia, please reconsider. Many, many people have used your guide successfully. That post was pretty harsh, but I don't think it represents the opinions of all the devs (?). And anyway, with an open source project, it is perfectly fine and normal to have disagreement.

I really appreciate the work you put into the Wiki! It got me up and running very quickly.

xnappo

- SwedishGojira - 2009-03-22

Sorry to hear this Olympia. Your guide has helped me set up several installations with no previous knowledge of Linux at all. I (too) hope you'll reconsider this and keep perfecting the guide, wich is the best one on the net.
Perhaps you could just rephrase the introduction to your guide to explain that it's aimed at the HTPC crowd and that it is not the supported install method but the optimal one.

- dallen - 2009-03-22

I'm new to xbmc and was trying to follow this great guide but I got stuck on this part

Quote:sudo wget http://217.20.138.65/xbmc/xorg.conf -O /etc/X11/xorg.conf

That file doesn't exist. I'm an AIX programmer by trade so I'm not completely helpless, but I'll admit to being clueless about xorg.conf. Does anybody have a copy or any good resources they can point me towards to get me own set up?