Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- olympia - 2009-03-24

Thank you all for your enthusiasm and support!

I can live with the linked style and wording, but I really don't want to maintain a method, which is not supported by the Devs. I don't wish anyone of you, who followed the guide to find yourself in a situation, when a Dev ask you, if you followed that "crappy" guide, then not support you, if the answer is yes.

So, at the moment, I am waiting for confirmation from them, if you guys are all still on the safe side and supportable, even if you are using this method.

Until then, I had put some extra warnings (there are plenty of them already), put back the config files online, and did some cleanup.

- h.udo - 2009-03-24

This is a somewhat funny situation!

It's the best guide I have seen so far for a newbie-minimal-xbmc-install, not counting XBMClive which is basically clicking OK a few times.
I agree that someone not familiar with linux *might* have some problems understanding what's going on under the hood. But hey, if it's a straight desktop install plus XBMC, they're not going to understand it all right from the start anyway. The same happens with XBMClive.

And, and this a big and, minimal install is so much more efficient for a dedicated media-center. And that's kinda the point, right?
Seriously, who needs all the applications/services provided by a desktop install?

Disclamer: I didn't take the time to understand why this started. I hate flame-wars and similar posts/threads.

olympia, it's a great work you've done compiling all the info and putting it under the same roof. A big thanks to you!

Server install Vs. Minimal? - billybig - 2009-03-24

Would the devs have any objection to using the Server install disc as opposed to the minimal install? I was having so many problems getting a good mirror with the minimal I just used the server disc instead. (which is the same thing right? just with all the packages on CD as opposed to downloads) Then followed the rest of the instructions exactly as they are written and all is good.

It really is a huge help to have access to your config files that you have spent many hours tweaking to work correcly with XBMC, HDMI etc etc.

Thanks for the great guide! Keep it up if at all possible!! While the devs may not appreciate it the community certainly does, and the side effect of solid instructions is an increased adoption rate of XBMC which will only make it a better media center down the road...

- Jaco2k - 2009-03-24

Well, I used the guide with a regular Ubuntu install and all went more or less well - for sure the amount of figuring out I needed was MUCH smaller than if I had to figure it all out alone.
As pointed out by some, the only issue I had was with the autostart and the way it kinda took over, but... using CTRL+ALT+Backspace I could get to the GDM login window and from there force a safe GDM session that allowed me to make changes without any problems at all.

I personally don't see where is the fuss and a more constructive attitude would be to point out what could be corrected or improved on the guide and have a cooperative attitude beneficial for everyone. I think the Devs must remember that not everyone is a Linux hacker (I definitely am not...) and some people need someone holding their hand through processes that for many might be a given.

Cheers all and thank you Olympia for your guide and the XBMC team for a great app! Smile

- Ticko - 2009-03-25

Hey Olympia!
Thanks for all that you done!!!
I haven't followed your guide completely because i understod your warningsNod and i now that my skill at the terminal are not great....

But!
I got 24Hz working thanks to your guide and that made me very very happy.
XBMC crashed before i replaced my xorg.conf with your help!
So i am very happy for all your help and someday i want to follow your guide completely so i can get rid of the big Ubuntu package and run the mini.iso.

Thanks!
Ted(Ticko) - Sweden (swedish fansite) http://xbmc.nu

- molesza - 2009-03-25

Thanks for the guide Olympia. I'm just having one small problem. When I try and install the dependenices i get an error saying cant find package

libsdl1-image1.2-dev

Can anyone help me with this?

- molesza - 2009-03-25

I think it is failing on all packages? Does this mean im not getting access to the ubuntu server? I am able to ping it fine.

Sorry Im a linux noob.

- alanwww1 - 2009-03-25

Olympia, your guide is the absolute best exists on the net,
xbmc devs should be happy to have something like this maintained.

There are a lot of point which would require hours of googling to find the right solution for. Anyone could learn about this guide.

I think it is more than clear that the purpose is to have a MINIMAL clean and fast system WITHOUT GDM. So anyone who is trying this on a full ubuntu system could know that there could be things which change their system's work.

I think you helped here a lot of people set up a great system and i am pretty sure that not only the community thinks about this way but also the majority of xbmc devs. I mean some things from the guide could help the xbmc-live project. For eg. i really suggest having the "flatpanelscaling" set to native in the xorg.conf than using custom modlines. This way it could be a general solution for all nvidia cards in xbmc live.

So please reconsider this and keep up with this good work.

Thanks

Alan

- olympia - 2009-03-25

molesza Wrote:Thanks for the guide Olympia. I'm just having one small problem. When I try and install the dependenices i get an error saying cant find package

libsdl1-image1.2-dev

Can anyone help me with this?

Are you speaking about libsdl-image1.2-dev?
This is without "1" after libsdl

- molesza - 2009-03-25

Thanks Olympia. I've got passed there now. Busy "making" xbmc... All is well so far! Great guide buddy!

Only thing I would suggest is adding

"cli" to start install of mini iso and a little help for SSH

As a total newb to linux it took me a while to figure that out.

I realise this outside the scope of actually configuring XBMC... just a thought.

I read through this guide yesterday and bought all the hardware online because of your guide! Kudos!

- karifsmith - 2009-03-25

Add me to the list that is very thankful for your guide! I've been wanting to replace my Xbox for a while now. After seeing your post and then the guide in the wiki, I decided to take the plunge and bought all the new hardware for my build.

I followed the guide exactly and to my pleasant surprise, 1080p and dolby digital worked on XBMC. I had to mess around to get my Antec IR and VFD working but I managed to do that via tips on other threads.

I'm sure there are tons of others like me that decided to go down the Linux route primarily based on YOUR guide. I had considered Windows, OSX, Plex(!) but this guide gave me the confidence that I could get it working in Linux. There are a number of things I don't understand about what is in the guide and maybe I'll get through the 1200 page Ubuntu book I bought someday and know everything I need to get it working exactly like I want it. But until then, I'm extremely happy that I have indeed replaced my Xbox.

If there is an official XBMC guide on how to do all this, I'd love to use it. How awesome would it be to get an official guide based on getting XBMC running on Ubuntu 9.04 + VDPAU + VDR (suggest a tv tuner card in the guide) + Aeon Stark skin + specifics of my Antec Fusion 430 case (IR/VFD)?! Ok, maybe the last one is a bit too specific for just me Wink

Anyways, thank you again olympia!

- JBNY - 2009-03-25

Another thank you here Oylmpia! Your guide was the only way I was able to get XBMC running. I tried numerous times to get the full version of ubuntu running with XBMC only to run into problems that are not documented by he devs in the wiki. Yours was the only guide that I was able to pretty much follow without any issues and get a working and current of version XBMC, that can be upgraded anytime to take advantage of new features.

Much thanks, you have helped so many people with that guide it would be a shame to see it fall down now.

- molesza - 2009-03-25

Just finished and its working perfectly!!! all SD and HD videos and VDPAU

So chuffed! Only thing that is not working is the killa sample. The video is all garbled and it stutters. Other than that its fine.

Oh and resuming from suspend just gives me a blank screen. Not sure whats wrong there.

Thanks Olympia

- xnappo - 2009-03-25

molesza Wrote:Just finished and its working perfectly!!! all SD and HD videos and VDPAU

So chuffed! Only thing that is not working is the killa sample. The video is all garbled and it stutters. Other than that its fine.

Oh and resuming from suspend just gives me a blank screen. Not sure whats wrong there.

Thanks Olympia

molesza, what hardware do you have? If you have an 8200 you need to read this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=46783

xnappo

- olympia - 2009-03-25

molesza Wrote:Just finished and its working perfectly!!! all SD and HD videos and VDPAU

Thanks Olympia

I think killa will work also. Maybe after a reboot, or maybe if you wait some time (10-15 sec) after you played a media with vdpau.

Concerning suspend:
What mobo are you using?
Which Ubuntu version?
Is keyboard connected or you use only a remote?
IF you have a remote, which one?