Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- rodercot - 2009-01-21

back to square one upgraded the latest svn this morning and playback has gone back to many dropped frames and terrible tearing and still no dvd playback. I changed nothing else other than upgrading the svn and rebooting.

Finished checking out SVN 17266 tonight and things seem back to normal, I am getting blocky playback on my transformers.mkv hd-dvd but all my others seem fine with 5-10 dropped frames but cpu usage still seems all over the place. I will check out the killa sample and report back. One thing between 17265 and 17266 I notice is the res of the desktop in 17230 it was 1080 @ 50Hz and in 17265 it was 1080 @ 60Hz and in 17266 it is back to 1080@50Hz.

UPDATE - tried the killa sample and it drops like 80 frames low cpu usage still uneven but very very blocky like the birds are in slow motion. This is similar to what i get with transformers.mkv but not near as blocky.

Anyone else have the issue of xbmc won't reload, if I try and reload I just get a flashing cursor, I have to actually reboot and to get to a shell I have to use ctl-alt-f1 or ssh only.

Dave

- Bahndit - 2009-01-22

Quote:Anyone else have the issue of xbmc won't reload, if I try and reload I just get a flashing cursor, I have to actually reboot and to get to a shell I have to use ctl-alt-f1 or ssh only.

Rodercot,
I have the same problem Huh

-Will

- rodercot - 2009-01-22

renamed Killa sample to .ts from .mkv and it seems better lower cpu usage and about 50 dropped frames, but try this which is confusing

If I play the file continually ie let it run then click on it again right away my cpu usage drops to like 3-5% on both cares and the frames only drop like 10-15 and the scene plays much smoother but still not free of the jerky playback.

I see this after about the third or forth time I play it back. but if I stop and leave it for like 15 minutes and then try it again it is right back to 80+ frames.

Will,

Yes I have been searching for a fix for this with no luck, the flashing cursor I believe is x trying to reload and cannot, if I hit ctl-alt-f2 at that point I see a xorg error that it cannot find "type1" which is in the modules section of the xorg.conf file. but if I look in the log it is in fact loading the 180.22 NVIDIA driver.

Dave

- spozen - 2009-01-22

rodercot Wrote:renamed Killa sample to .ts from .mkv and it seems better lower cpu usage and about 50 dropped frames, but try this which is confusing

If I play the file continually ie let it run then click on it again right away my cpu usage drops to like 3-5% on both cares and the frames only drop like 10-15 and the scene plays much smoother but still not free of the jerky playback.

I see this after about the third or forth time I play it back. but if I stop and leave it for like 15 minutes and then try it again it is right back to 80+ frames.

Will,

Dave

My results without arons patch:

Code:
2.66 GHz E7300: 153 Frames dropped
3.07 Ghz E7300: 123 Frames dropped
3.07 Ghz E7300: 64 Frames dropped (played again rite away)

[b]File renamed to .ts[/b]
3.07 Ghz E7300: 120 Frames dropped
3.07 Ghz E7300: 100 Frames dropped

Seems to be totally random.

- KDB9000 - 2009-01-27

Not sure if you will be able to help me. First I want to say, great job on the guide. I swapped out your nvidia driver add for ATI drivers and did my own xorg file. Everything is up and running on my Dell GX260 (P4 2.26 Ghz, 1 GB RAM (will be 2 when this is stable), with a ATi HD 3450 with HDMI adapter).

Right now the CPU runs high (even at idle) but I have the screen set to 1080i (CPU peaked 75% when I started a movie, then came back down, video looks great) but I have a problem with the audio. I am going audio though the HDMI and installed the Alsamixer in your guide, only IEC958 showed up (just one, not three like you mentioned) and I unmuted it, but when I play my video the first few seconds of sound gets stuck in a loop as the video continues on. The audio is set to digital and hdmi hdmi with AC3 and DTS on, but it still happens. Any thoughts on what I could have done wrong?

- volenin - 2009-01-27

Olympia, excellent post. Works (almost) as advertised (in my case one of the dependencies was missing, but I just did the PPE install of 'build-deps' for xbmc as directed on the 'compile xbmc from source' wiki page).

This post should be made sticky - very very helpful!!!

THANKS AGAIN!

Vlad

- KDB9000 - 2009-01-27

KDB9000 Wrote:Not sure if you will be able to help me. First I want to say, great job on the guide. I swapped out your nvidia driver add for ATI drivers and did my own xorg file. Everything is up and running on my Dell GX260 (P4 2.26 Ghz, 1 GB RAM (will be 2 when this is stable), with a ATi HD 3450 with HDMI adapter).

Right now the CPU runs high (even at idle) but I have the screen set to 1080i (CPU peaked 75% when I started a movie, then came back down, video looks great) but I have a problem with the audio. I am going audio though the HDMI and installed the Alsamixer in your guide, only IEC958 showed up (just one, not three like you mentioned) and I unmuted it, but when I play my video the first few seconds of sound gets stuck in a loop as the video continues on. The audio is set to digital and hdmi hdmi with AC3 and DTS on, but it still happens. Any thoughts on what I could have done wrong?

Never mind, I got it working. I think I missed a couple steps, but now it works.

- olympia - 2009-01-27

Zitheral Wrote:When I use the mini CD to install Linux to a usb flash drive, it won't boot afterwards... I have used this flash drive to boot Ubuntu Live and XBMC Live so I know it isn't a problem with the stick. I'm wondering if I need to setup the partitions in a special way during install...

Bahndit Wrote:Olympia,
If this extra step is the right way to get GRUB onto a USB Flash Drive install then you really should modify the tutorial to let people know that these extra steps need to be done in order for the USB install to boot. As is the tutorial does not work for a USB Flash Drive install.

Apparently there seems to be an issue with Intrepid installer. If you are using flash drives, it is not installing GRUB for some reason (please somebody who installed mini.iso to HDD, confirm that there is no problem with HDD install).

You have to options:
Either install Hardy (Ubuntu 8.04) mini.iso first, which is install GRUB, then right after that, install Intrepid mini.iso over the same flash drive. It will reformat the drive, but GRUB will stay alive on the drive.

Second option is that right after Intrepid mini installation, boot up Intrepid mini.iso from the CD again, choose rescue mode, and there you will find an "install GRUB" option.

- olympia - 2009-01-27

To forum admins:

Is there any chance to get an inserted empty post for me right after the initial post to continue with the guide? I reach the maximum size with the initial post.

Thank you!

- AndersUk - 2009-01-27

Would a Wiki page be out the question for this Guide? I think it warrants it as it's very good posting...

- spozen - 2009-01-27

olympia Wrote:To forum admins:

Is there any chance to get an inserted empty post for me right after the initial post to continue with the guide? I reach the maximum size with the initial post.

Thank you!

What will the next part of the guide handle?

- olympia - 2009-01-27

spozen Wrote:What will the next part of the guide handle?

Just some ideas:
- splash
- how to update
- optional install from PPA
- proper CPU/GPU temp monitoring
- BIOS OEM splash
- Make ODD eject button work
- Remove 3 sec waiting for GRUB

- olympia - 2009-01-27

volenin Wrote:Olympia, excellent post. Works (almost) as advertised (in my case one of the dependencies was missing, but I just did the PPE install of 'build-deps' for xbmc as directed on the 'compile xbmc from source' wiki page).

This post should be made sticky - very very helpful!!!

THANKS AGAIN!

Vlad

Vlad, which was the missing dependency? And how did you determinate it is missing?

- spozen - 2009-01-27

Maybe you can add something about speeding up the boot time?

How many seconds after pressing ON til your inside XBMC now?
The reason i am asking is because when i get my remote i will re install and go by your guide completely and i wonder how much faster this is, than having ubuntu load up + XBMC.
I once saw a application that measured boot time in linux, i will try and find it maybe we can trim the boot time a bit more.

- sho - 2009-01-28

AndersUk Wrote:Would a Wiki page be out the question for this Guide? I think it warrants it as it's very good posting...

The wiki is a user creation, by all means....

olympia Wrote:To forum admins:

Thank you!
Being looked into by people that know the forum software better than I do.