Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- spozen - 2009-01-31

It took me like 5 - 10 mins to checkout SVN(on 12Mbit dsl), try removing the XBMC folder and try checking out again.

- rodercot - 2009-01-31

atlas1999 Wrote:How long should the svn checkout step to install xbmc take? I let it run over night but it never went back to the prompt so not sure that it finished. I did a CTL-C and went to the ./configure step after cd XBMC. But it gave a message that ./configure was not found. Now when I try to run the svn checkout step again it says Workng copy 'XBMC' locked. Run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks. Not sure how to fix this.

Drop to shell then type cd ~

Then type

sudo rm -r XBMC

This will remove the entire XBMC svn directory that your tried to dwnld.

Once removed. Reboot go back to your shell and start over

cd ~

Then do the svn checkout again. It should take about 5-10 minutes to check out the svn depending on your dwnld speed.

Dave

- alanwww1 - 2009-01-31

Great guide, except i would suggest not using direct modeline settings
as it could be different, using different TVs, Monitors.

I suggest using

Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

With this option the Nvidia driver can change the refresh rates properly, reported by your TVs EDID. All you need to do is use the autorefresh rate function in XBMC. (Of course Dynamictwinview should be disabled)

- rodercot - 2009-01-31

alanwww1 Wrote:Great guide, except i would suggest not using direct modeline settings

I suggest using

With this option the Nvidia driver can change the refresh rates properly, reported by your TVs EDID. All you need to do is use the autorefresh rate function in XBMC. (Of course Dynamictwinview should be disabled)

Does this get added to the monitor section or device section or does it matter. I could not find that option in the Nvidia manual is why I am asking.

Thanks,

Dave

- rodercot - 2009-01-31

CrashX Wrote:Maybe we should add this to the guide as well:

We can now monitor temperature readings from lm-sensors by modifying the advancedsettings.xml.

<advancedsettings>
<gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -tq gpuCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
<cputempcommand>echo "$(sensors -u | grep "temp2_input"| awk '{print $2 }' |awk '{printf("%d\n",$1 + 0.5);}') C"</cputempcommand>
</advancedsettings>

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43621 for details:

Hey CrashX,

What is the earliest rev this has been tested on, I tried it yesterday on the stable intrepid ppa version r161?? I think. added my advancedsettings file and rebooted and of course intalled lm-sensors.

It actually killed xbmc's desktop on me. I looked in the log and the last like 200 lines in the log are

15:07:43 T:2811538320 M:1069539328 INFO: Not Following Redirect - Server returned: 302 Found
15:07:43 T:2811538320 M:1069539328 DEBUG: staticThread, deleting thread object
15:07:43 T:2811538320 M:1069539328 DEBUG: staticThread, deleting thread graphic context
15:07:43 T:2811538320 M:1069539328 DEBUG: Thread 2811538320 terminating

I am not sure if these are related but as soon as I renamed my advancedsettings.xml to .xml.bak and purged lm-sensors and rebooted this error went away from the log and desktop was ok again.

I am running MediaStream 1.0 currently if that make a difference.

Thanks,

Dave

- olympia - 2009-01-31

rodercot Wrote:What is the earliest rev this has been tested on, I tried it yesterday on the stable intrepid ppa version r161?? I think. added my advancedsettings file and rebooted and of course intalled lm-sensors.

Dave,

Did you run sensors-detect after apt-get installed lm-sensors?
And... I think it's required a recent version 17xxx for sure...

- alanwww1 - 2009-01-31

rodercot Wrote:Does this get added to the monitor section or device section or does it matter. I could not find that option in the Nvidia manual is why I am asking.

Thanks,

Dave

I does not matter. You can use it at both places.

I found it in Appendix D of Nvidia xorg.conf options along with some other useful settings.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9755/README/appendix-d.html

It has the same effect as running nvidia-settings gnome utility and disable "full gpu scaling". But it is tricky because you have to run nvidia settings tool each time you reboot. But if you use the xorg.conf option it is already disabled. It needs to be disabled because if it is enabled, the driver always using your TVs native resolution AND refresh rate (means you can only use 60hz. It really is very tricky because in xbmc it seems like the program changed the refresh rate to 24hz for example, but when you play the video you can see that it is still giong at 60hz. But if this option is present than it really changes the refresh rate !

- rodercot - 2009-01-31

olympia Wrote:Dave,

Did you run sensors-detect after apt-get installed lm-sensors?
And... I think it's required a recent version 17xxx for sure...

Thanks chum,

Are you on the most current SVN. How is it? The intrpeid ppa is working 100% for me with MythTV so a couple ? marks in the info pane is not hurting me all that much. I run a passive Ninja mini on my 7300 running 3Ghz and in the bios I never see more that 50C at any time I check. It has been running since yesterday at 3pm EST and when I checked this morning the ambient was 42C.

To answer your question no I did not run that command after installing, I know I am a dumbOoss LOL.

Thanks,

Dave

- olympia - 2009-01-31

alanwww1 Wrote:Great guide, except i would suggest not using direct modeline settings

I suggest using

Thanks for this, I will test it and modify the attached xorg.conf.
However, I explained in the guide that use my xorg.conf just as an experimental template. But if this option helps to make a globally standard xorg.conf at least for nvidia, would be great.

- olympia - 2009-01-31

rodercot Wrote:Are you on the most current SVN. How is it?

What do you mean by how it is? I am using most current SVN's only for testing purposes. My productive system is still Live based... Cool for 2 reasons:
- Intrepid performance issue
- I am not able to make my 8Gb flash drive to work. I have the same hyperx in 4 and 8Gb. The smaller one is working like a charm, but the bigger one makes some weird thing. For example if I delete alsa source after ALSA upgrade, the whole ALSA system is disappearing for some reason.... Shocked I cannot imagine what could be the reason for this. The drive seems healthy...

Anyway, the temp monitoring working fine for GPU temp on ASUS P5N7A-vm with the mentioned advancedsettings trick. On the CPU part, something is wrong, LM-sensors detecting only 4-8C degree for CPU temp, while the correct temps detected for the individual core temps... Weird again. I hope it is a generaly issue with this board and not my board is faulty...

- atlas1999 - 2009-01-31

That did the trick. Thanks! Got through all the steps but now autoboot and autostart isn't working. It just comes up to the login prompt. Also it is showing that "Starting remote control daemon : LIRC" fails. Not sure why that would be. I'm using a Windows MCE remote.

Is there a log or something I should check to see why xbmc isn't automatically starting?

- olympia - 2009-01-31

atlas1999 Wrote:That did the trick. Thanks! Got through all the steps but now autoboot and autostart isn't working. It just comes up to the login prompt. Also it is showing that "Starting remote control daemon : LIRC" fails. Not sure why that would be. I'm using a Windows MCE remote.

Is there a log or something I should check to see why xbmc isn't automatically starting?

you should check the output of tty2 (from here X should have autostarted) what went wrong. Press alt+F2 for tty2.

- olympia - 2009-02-01

I suggest using

Tested, confirmed, attached xorg.conf modified!

Really great! Thank you!

- alanwww1 - 2009-02-01

I am glad it works ! Big Grin

Now the only thing we need to figure out is how to make x264 decoding work properly on Intrepid. Sad

thank you! - butchjr - 2009-02-01

The guide worked perfectly, Thanks! I used a 64-bit version of Intrepid mini, and I didn't have any problems compiling or installing anything (Nvidia,alsa,etc.)

When everything worked I compiled a very small custom kernel (http://www.kernel.org - 2.8.28-2), and compiled the latest lirc.

And I finished with adding the black (very good looking) usplash from dudukes blog.

I am very pleased with the outcome! Smile

Thanks a lot whoever you are who made this How-to. I could never get the xsession to work without you!