Kodi Community Forum
IMDb.com license issues? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: IMDb.com license issues? (/showthread.php?tid=45126)

Pages: 1 2 3

IMDb.com license issues? - goake - 2009-02-07

Quote:Team XBMC will contact IMDb directly and ask for their approval if they are willing to give it.

Did anyone ever get an answer back?

- jmarshall - 2009-02-08

We did get an answer back, yes. We're currently assessing within the team as to what we should do about it.

- Hitcher - 2009-02-08

jmarshall Wrote:We did get an answer back, yes. We're currently assessing within the team as to what we should do about it.

Is that 'yes' as in you got an answer back or 'yes' as in they said yes? Huh

- goake - 2009-02-08

Jonathan

I'm assuming the answer wasn't exactly what we wanted to hear - otherwise there would be no reason for the team to be 'assessing what to do about it'.

Would it be possible for you to share their answer with us?

- hikaricore - 2009-02-08

This is just my guess so don't take this as fact or anything like that...

IMDB probably said something to the effect of "We will only allow IMDBPro users to scrape our site"
meaning there would have to be some sort of authentication system added to the scraper.

- fekker - 2009-02-08

I think what we, as a community of users, need to do is support themoviedb and enter in anything that is missing and update known information.

Even if each user only added 5 items, the data would be populated very rapidly.

The api and returned information from themoviedb is far better then anything imdb offers.

Have you entered your 5? -- I'll add that to my sig

- eduo - 2009-02-08

fekker Wrote:I think what we, as a community of users, need to do is support themoviedb and enter in anything that is missing and update known information.

Even if each user only added 5 items, the data would be populated very rapidly.

The api and returned information from themoviedb is far better then anything imdb offers.

Have you entered your 5? -- I'll add that to my sig

Well, starting from having an actual API and not requiring a scraper that's an easy argument.

The problem, as with everything, is that the giant (IMDB) makes it useless for the newcomer (themoviedb.org) to be a viable option.

If I recall correctly thetvdb pulled quite a lot off tv.com. If that has been closed off IMDB then it'll be all that harder to use an alternate site.

Then again, if a 3rd party did a lot of scraping before IMDB decided to be a jerk about this that's probably covered (I would have to take a look at the license, but if it's a recent change it wouldn't be reatroactive, and places like opensubtitles and others have been actively scraping IMDB for some time now).

- smcnally75 - 2009-02-08

Just for the record...IMDB never started anything here. An xbmc user brought IMDBs "rules" to the attention of the devs and the devs decided to do the right thing and ask for permission.

- goake - 2009-02-09

smcnally75 Wrote:Just for the record...IMDB never started anything here. An xbmc user brought IMDBs "rules" to the attention of the devs and the devs decided to do the right thing and ask for permission.

All I want to know is this:

When the devs did the right thing and asked IMDB for permission, what was IMDB's answer.

- DarkHelmet - 2009-02-09

Frankly, a simple yes would surprise me.

- kizer - 2009-02-09

Man you guys have 0 Patience.

jmarshall Wrote:We did get an answer back, yes. We're currently assessing within the team as to what we should do about it.

Can't you leave it alone for a few days since its out of "your" hands.

- goake - 2009-02-09

No offence everyone who hos replied on this thread - but you've kinda highjacked it.

All i wanted to know was what the response was from IMDB when Team XBMC asked for permission to scrape their site.

If anyone wants to discuss whether 'scraping' is captured by the definition 'stealing' , or the merits of TMDB vs IMDB could they please start their own thread.

- hikaricore - 2009-02-11

Speaking on topic is not, nor will ever be considered hijacking.. at least not by any sane person on this planet.

Hijacking would be if I started asking questions about the migration pattern of the European swallow.

- althekiller - 2009-02-11

hikaricore Wrote:Speaking on topic is not, nor will ever be considered hijacking.. at least not by any sane person on this planet.

Hijacking would be if I started asking questions about the migration pattern of the European swallow.

And this mindset is why basically every thread is of zero use in the future...

- jmarshall - 2009-02-11

NOTE: A bunch of posts were moved out of this thread. This is what goake was referring to above.