Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO get Live TV with VDR working in XBMC for Linux - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO get Live TV with VDR working in XBMC for Linux (/showthread.php?tid=45314)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

- mirak63 - 2009-05-27

hepi Wrote:And in this context I would like to stress that mentioning the illegals plugin on the vdr-portal.de is easily interpreted as a request for it or an offer to provide it which is against the forum rules there and will result in negative reactions of most of the forum members there. Since you are interested in Launchpad hosting, there's no need to use illegal plugins for explaining the advantages of Launchpad, I think.

I though I was clear that the use of illegal (it depends where) plugins in explaining how it wasn't a disavantage in launchpad was just based on a misunderstanding of what hano wanted for is repository. Big Grin

I will explain myself there and remove the offending message Big Grin

- Cirion - 2009-05-27

mirak63 Wrote:Hello
I did a ubuntu package with the latest vdr patch on xbmc, it's there https://launchpad.net/~mirak-mirak/+archive/ppa
The package built fine on my computer, they should be available soon on the ppa, they are currently uploading.

There is also package for vdr-1.7.7, libxine-vdpau, vdr-xine, nvidia drivers, v4l-dvb
Do you have a howto install for your packages?

- mirak63 - 2009-05-27

Cirion Wrote:Do you have a howto install for your packages?

Sorry I just throw they package I built for my own usage as it since there are already howto and tutorials to vdr, it's plugins and xbmc around the net.

For v4l-dvb a package that i created, the explanations are on the ppa page.

I should add some links to tutorials on the ppa page. Wink

The most important thing to know about vdr is that vdr is a backend server, and that it needs output plugins and frontends to connect to this output devices, and there is a lot of choice.
To summarise, by using only packages on my ppa you have two options:
- vdr-plugin-xine output plugin that needs a libxine compatible frontend like xine, totem-xine etcetera.
- vdr-plugin-streamdev output plugin that needs xbmc pvrclient frontend.

- Cirion - 2009-05-28

mirak63 Wrote:Sorry I just throw they package I built for my own usage as it since there are already howto and tutorials to vdr, it's plugins and xbmc around the net.
Yes, there are plenty of guides out there but none tell the whole story, and I allways run into dependency problems or build problems. I have not found any working guide for running VDR.... Even the guide in this thread does not work. I have tried for years... I am always too late, something has changed, patches are gone, newer builds not supporting the patches and so on.

Right now my dream PVR looks like this:
XBMC + VDR + S2API + VDPAU + Cardreader for my subcription card (CONAX)

Looks to me that the packages needed for that are in your PPA, but how do I know wich packages to choose?

From what I guess in the 2 options you gave me, the first one uses an external frontend for VDR, and the second might look like the screenshots in the first post. Right?

- mirak63 - 2009-05-28

You need to learn all you can about vdr first, and start to toy with vdr with the stable packages in ubuntu jaunty.

Vdr is not as straight forward than xbmc unfortunely. That's it's handicap, but also what make it flexible and powerfull.

- slacker666 - 2009-05-28

something that seems a lot easier, is to grab tvheadend (website: http://www.lonelycoder.com) by executing

Code:
svn co svn://svn.lonelycoder.com/hts/trunk/tvheadend && cd tvheadend && ./configure && make

launch the application with (while in /tvheadend)
Code:
build.Linux/tvheadend

admin it by logging into http://127.0.0.1:9981 (or the lan ip or whatever) and set it up.
when it has (hopefully) found some channels (use DVB-Adapter -> probe), use Add source in XBMC and point it to "htsp://127.0.0.1:9982" (without the "s) and you should now be able to watch tv thru your XBMC. You can create a user by using the webui, then you login with htsp://user:[email protected]:9982 instead.

- wocis - 2009-05-29

slacker666 Wrote:admin it by logging into http://127.0.0.1:9981 (or the lan ip or whatever) and set it up.
looks great Smile but what is default login/pass to webui? blank username/password or other "default" not working Sad

- mirak63 - 2009-05-29

slacker666 Wrote:something that seems a lot easier, is to grab tvheadend (website: http://www.lonelycoder.com) by executing

Code:
svn co svn://svn.lonelycoder.com/hts/trunk/tvheadend && cd tvheadend && ./configure && make

launch the application with (while in /tvheadend)
Code:
build.Linux/tvheadend

admin it by logging into http://127.0.0.1:9981 (or the lan ip or whatever) and set it up.
when it has (hopefully) found some channels (use DVB-Adapter -> probe), use Add source in XBMC and point it to "htsp://127.0.0.1:9982" (without the "s) and you should now be able to watch tv thru your XBMC. You can create a user by using the webui, then you login with htsp://user:[email protected]:9982 instead.

maybe you could do a thread about that, it's interesting

- hepi - 2009-05-29

slacker666 Wrote:use Add source in XBMC and point it to "htsp://127.0.0.1:9982" (without the "s) and you should now be able to watch tv thru your XBMC. You can create a user by using the webui, then you login with htsp://user:[email protected]:9982 instead.

For people using a a regular XBMC build (without VDR/streamdev patch), they can connect to a running VDR/streamdev-server in a similar way by adding this to XBMC as a video source:

Code:
vtp://127.0.0.1:2004

slacker666, I would suggest to you to open a new thread regarding tvheadend. Otherwise things could get too chaotic in this thread.

Cheers,
hepi

- mirak63 - 2009-05-29

interesting !!

I guess we can't do recordings ?

- slacker666 - 2009-05-30

wocis Wrote:looks great Smile but what is default login/pass to webui? blank username/password or other "default" not working Sad

if you run the .deb package, you will be prompted for username and password, at least, that's what the developer told me when i asked him.

I could start a new thread, no problem, problem is that my signal is too weak, so I haven't been able to test it yet myself.

- SKinHD - 2009-05-30

i have having trouble to compile ffmpeg, i dont now mutch about it, si i just ask:

Code:
(T: XBMCLive)vdr@XBMCLive:~/src/ffmpeg$ ./configure --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-swscale --enable-libx264 --enable-libtheora --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libxvid
Unknown option "--enable-swscale".
See ./configure --help for available options.
(T: XBMCLive)vdr@XBMCLive:~/src/ffmpeg$ make
Makefile:1: config.mak: No such file or directory
libavdevice/Makefile:1: libavdevice/../config.mak: No such file or directory
libavformat/Makefile:1: libavformat/../config.mak: No such file or directory
libavcodec/Makefile:1: libavcodec/../config.mak: No such file or directory
libavutil/Makefile:1: libavutil/../config.mak: No such file or directory
libswscale/Makefile:1: libswscale/../config.mak: No such file or directory
> libswscale/yuv2rgb.d
> libswscale/swscale.d
> libswscale/rgb2rgb.d
> libswscale/options.d
make: *** No rule to make target `libswscale/../config.mak'.  Stop.

- wocis - 2009-05-31

slacker666 Wrote:if you run the .deb package, you will be prompted for username and password, at least, that's what the developer told me when i asked him.

yeah latest .deb package works great, but latest svn version (3000) looks broken. After compile, the webui doesn't accept any user/pass, even if i start up deb version, set it up and after that start svn version.
And at the worst i couldn't recognize where the tvheadend store its configuration (home folder .hts obtain only xmltv config).
And at least, some configurations (multiplexes frequency, and other) is hardcoded in binary Sad I must modify src/linuxtv_muxes.h for some changes in my country...
But tvheadend as is looks nice - better webui, simple compile or install (deb) than vdr.
I'm looking forward to nvidia ion boxes/boards (zotac), which makes me happy - i should build cheap "tvbox" with simple box and lcd.
I was thinking about some popcourn hour box before i tried xbmc Smile
Xbmc rock! Smile

- slacker666 - 2009-05-31

wocis Wrote:yeah latest .deb package works great, but latest svn version (3000) looks broken. After compile, the webui doesn't accept any user/pass, even if i start up deb version, set it up and after that start svn version.
And at the worst i couldn't recognize where the tvheadend store its configuration (home folder .hts obtain only xmltv config).
And at least, some configurations (multiplexes frequency, and other) is hardcoded in binary Sad I must modify src/linuxtv_muxes.h for some changes in my country...
But tvheadend as is looks nice - better webui, simple compile or install (deb) than vdr.
I'm looking forward to nvidia ion boxes/boards (zotac), which makes me happy - i should build cheap "tvbox" with simple box and lcd.
I was thinking about some popcourn hour box before i tried xbmc Smile
Xbmc rock! Smile

you would have to stop by executing "/etc/init.d/hts stop" and then run build.Linux/tvheadend when in /tvheadend directory.

- Cirion - 2009-06-01

wocis Wrote:yeah latest .deb package works great, but latest svn version (3000) looks broken. After compile, the webui doesn't accept any user/pass, even if i start up deb version, set it up and after that start svn version.
Not broken, just does not work like the manual says... Start it with -C and the blank user gets created. Now you can log in and create new user.