Kodi Community Forum
Smoothvideo branch - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Smoothvideo branch (/showthread.php?tid=46091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

- ubiq - 2009-04-30

bobo1on1 Wrote:Update your driver to 185.18.04.

Didn't help, still the same problem Sad
Debug log

- ashlar - 2009-04-30

bobo1on1 Wrote:Turn on vsync in xbmc, disable passthrough and select resample as synctype (had a little bug, fixed now).
Unfortunately I don't build myself. Vsync was set at "let driver decide", with Forced On in the Nvidia Control panel. I was using resample and multichannel analog out, not passthrough.

- Bagger - 2009-04-30

bobo1on1 Wrote:In your case, you have to disable passthrough and select resample, it's not going to work any other way.

Why would I want to disable pass through ? I lose DTS and DD. Which is the whole point of home theatre

So you are saying I cannot have A 24fps move playing @ 25 fps with DTS or DD

- ashlar - 2009-04-30

Bagger Wrote:Why would I want to disable pass through ? I lose DTS and DD. Which is the whole point of home theatre

So you are saying I cannot have A 24fps move playing @ 25 fps with DTS or DD
No, while accelerating by 5% the audio dropouts would be too many. You need to go multichannel analog out.

- eriksmith200 - 2009-04-30

ashlar Wrote:I get those lines in the log but even with no frames dropped I get stuttering from time to time... is there anything major left over for development or in your opinion this should be ready for prime time?
Meaning: should I worry or is this still heavily under development?

Edit: here's the log http://xbmc.pastebin.com/f29c7350e
I have triple buffering disabled, vsync forced on in the Nvidia control panel (8800GT - drivers 182.08, XP SP3), "let drivers decide vsync" inside XBMC. I selected medium quality resampling. Using an X-Fi analog out.
The sample played is the beginning of Wall-E where it's really easy to detect stuttering... it's as if the video lags behind from time to time, I can't better put it in words.

Could your problems be related to my post here?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=327319&posted=1#post327319

I see "Discontinuty" (spelling error) pop up in your logs too, same as mine. I'm using the main development branch, Windows XP, not smooth video branch

- ubiq - 2009-04-30

eriksmith200 Wrote:Could your problems be related to my post here?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=327319&posted=1#post327319

I see "Discontinuty" (spelling error) pop up in your logs too, same as mine. I'm using the main development branch, Windows XP, not smooth video branch

I compared your and ashlar's log to mine and it seems that we all are getting the same problems:

Code:
#WARNING: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 5015, consumed: 0
#DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty - was:1259286.204990, should be:1365750.000000, error:106463.795010

Only difference is that I'm using this on linux but the errors seem the same. Interesting thing is that it seems that this problem has started somewhere after linuxport revision 19503 because when I revert back to smoothvideo revision 19504 everything plays back as smooth as it could play and you say that everything is good for you with revision 19486. So maybe this problem isn't smoothvideo related at all but the problem is from the main branch?

Perhaps the trac logs would reveal what might be causing this:
http://trac.xbmc.org/log/branches/9.04_Babylon-linux-osx-win32/
http://trac.xbmc.org/log/branches/linuxport/
http://trac.xbmc.org/log/branches/smoothvideo/

- Bagger - 2009-04-30

ashlar Wrote:No, while accelerating by 5% the audio dropouts would be too many. You need to go multichannel analog out.

Have a read; of my previous posts.
I can turn it on, a weird procedure to do so but never the less I get 24 fps movie(.mkv) playing at 25 fps with DTS.
Except the only problem being a metronome tapping through some parts of the audio.( like someone walking along a wooden floor)

- bobo1on1 - 2009-04-30

Bagger Wrote:Have a read; of my previous posts.
I can turn it on, a weird procedure to do so but never the less I get 24 fps movie(.mkv) playing at 25 fps with DTS.
Except the only problem being a metronome tapping through some parts of the audio.( like someone walking along a wooden floor)

The fact that you can turn it on doesn't mean it's actually on, it's only a menu option.
There was a bug that allowed a big speed change in some cases when resampling was selected together with passthrough, that's fixed in svn now.
Still, resampling doesn't work together with passthrough, it never has and it's not going to work in the near future, if you want 24 fps to play at 50 hertz you have to select resample and disable passthrough.

ubiq Wrote:Didn't help, still the same problem Sad
Debug log
Try a release build by doing "./configure --disable-debug". Update from svn first before you do that.

- ubiq - 2009-04-30

bobo1on1 Wrote:Try a release build by doing "./configure --disable-debug". Update from svn first before you do that.

I just updated to revision 19866 and was still having the same problems, but I will try your method first thing in the morning (it's already pretty late here and need to let my wife sleep). By "release build" I believe you mean just disabling debug when I do configure as you wrote and not using some other branch? If the suggested method doesn't help I will try the linuxbranch and see if the same problems occurs with that too. I could also try to figure out what is the last smoothvideo revision that works without video playback problems to narrow down the cause of this.

- Bagger - 2009-05-01

bobo1on1 Wrote:The fact that you can turn it on doesn't mean it's actually on, it's only a menu option.
There was a bug that allowed a big speed change in some cases when resampling was selected together with passthrough, that's fixed in svn now.
Still, resampling doesn't work together with passthrough, it never has and it's not going to work in the near future, if you want 24 fps to play at 50 hertz you have to select resample and disable passthrough.

I never said anything about resample working with pass through :confused2:

I use skip/duplicate setting to get 24 fps films to play at 25 fps with DTS . But have to go through a routine of setting resample first before skip/duplicate will work.

- ashlar - 2009-05-01

Bagger Wrote:Have a read; of my previous posts.
The metronome tapping are quite likely the audio dropouts I was mentioning.

bobo1on1, it might be that my problem is not related to your work. In the Windows section there's other people mentioning problems with stuttering and I had it with an updated build (non smooth). Had to revert back...

- ubiq - 2009-05-01

OK, I tried with the latest revision and disabled debug during the configure, but still the same problem occured. LOG (don't know if that helps any 'cos no debug)

But I did clean installs of every revision until I found the last working one and it seems that this problem started to occur after smoothvideo branch was merged with the linuxbranch revision 19620. This further displays that the problem isn't smoothvideo related at all but from the changes in the linuxbranch. Experiences from the other users having the same problem and not using smoothvideo branch explains this also.

LOG from the last working revision of smoothvideo branch (19594)
(some fps fluctuation as can be seen from the duplicated audio packages, but no really big freezes in the video or dropped video frames)

LOG from the first not working revision of smoothvideo branch (19624)
(severe drops in fps and dropped video frames, started to have this kind of warnings: WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 80427, consumed: 0)

So there is something between revisions 19503 and 19620 in the linuxport that broke smooth video playback.

Seems to me that we might have to solve this problem with the maintainers of the linuxbranch and not with you bobo1on1. Thanks for everything you have done, smoothvideo is one of the best things that has happened to XBMC after it got ported to linux/mac/win. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: I played a bit more with smoothvideo revision 19594 and noticed that every now and then with 23,976fps material the fps dropped just a bit below 23fps but not more. This didn't cause any video frames to drop but just the slightest pause in the video. I once again reverted back to trusty old revision 19504 and playback was perfect again. This is something you probably have already fixed with later additions to the smoothvideo branch, but I'm unable to test because of that other more severe fps drop problem that probably has nothing to do with smoothvideo.

ps. I might need to buy myself a quad-core to speed up the makes. Even with 3GHz dual-core it takes loooong to build this many revisions Big Grin

- bobo1on1 - 2009-05-01

Thanks for your tests, is there any chance this happened exactly once a minute?

- ubiq - 2009-05-01

I don't know if you mean the severe fps drop or the minor that doesn't really drop video frames, but they both had similarities. They weren't dependent on the bitrate or anything else, the fps drops were random like they didn't always happen in the same part of the same video.

I many times skipped back just to see if it was my cpu being too slow (not likely) and the fps drop didn't happen at the same part of the video. But the drops were more or less occurring at similar intervals. It's hard to tell if they were exactly happening once a minute when you are intensely staring at the TV just to see if some frames drop (OSD helped a lot) Big Grin

But I could test this tomorrow morning. I'm just too tired today after trying about seven or eight different revisions. I'll test the minor drop first (19594) and then try the latest revision.

- bobo1on1 - 2009-05-01

You can't really trust the fps info a lot, most fluctuations are just a wrong measurement.

I've updated my branch which should help a bit.