Kodi Community Forum
.CDG Karaoke-files support for music - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: .CDG Karaoke-files support for music (/showthread.php?tid=4654)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

- lion2 - 2004-10-07

(black88mx6 @ sep. 06 2004,23:24 Wrote:found that the best way to add sound to an xbox for karaoke is using a standalone "karaoke mixer". these can be had for as low as $30 up to a couple hundred dollars. the better models also allow key change. in other words, if your really interested in karaoke, these karaoke mixers do a better job than what could ever be programmed into xbmc for voice. after finding this out i am very impressed on what xbmc can do just to play the mp3+cdg files. and sound/mic integration is a much lower priority in my book.
after reading your post, i did some research in karaoke mixers(can't wait for mic support :o ). couldnt find any for $30, but i did find one on the internet for $57(included a mic and a karaoke dvd with 20+ songs). just arrived today and cant wait to try it out when i get home. still would be cool to get the mic and headset support on xbmc though. the more mics the better Wink

- black88mx6 - 2004-10-08

this is what i picked up; i really enjoy it. the 30-40 dollar one is the pioneer one. you can find them on ebay from time to time.

http://www.audio2000s.com/products/mixers_amps/mixers/akm7015.htm

hope this helps some others.

can't wait till stcogoli gets back and takes a look at the timing issue. i would like to see it make it into the next release version.

** update 10/8/04 ** looks like someone else might of taken care of the timing issue, as it is fixed in the 10/6/04 cvs build that i put on yesterday.

- MrT - 2004-10-21

any status-updates for us? great work soo far.

- black88mx6 - 2004-10-26

just a heads up;

loaded the 10/20 build and noticed that when starting a song, i would get blank screens instead of the words. going back to the main menu then back into the song menu and re-starting the karaoke and it would work ok till the next song.

went back to the 1.1 build and all is ok again.

- MrT - 2004-10-26

anyone got a microphone to work with this?

- stcogoli - 2004-11-05

hello to all and sorry about the lack of updates, i've been
busy lately. :nuts: i haven't worked on voice yet, i wanted to fix the visuals and sync before adding new stuff. so i uploaded a new patch on sf.net. the cdg reader is no longer a visualisation but an overlay for other vises
added:
- cdg files are now streamed and do not delay the start of audio playback.
- a karaoke gui settings screen now allows one to:
*enable/disable cdg lookup.
*set the av delay parameter for the best sync(0.8 secs is the default).
*set transparency values for the cdg background and foreground; i.e. the default values of bg alpha=0 and fg alpha=255 will usually result in only the lyrics (and special graphics) being displayed and the current visualisation acting as the background.
- the y button now pauses cdg parsing and the right trigger fast forwards.
- fixed a bug which appeared in recent xbmc builds where the cdg would only show up on the first song of a playlist.
- fixed (hopefully) a bug where sync could be different for the first song in the playlist and the subsequent ones.
- fixed a bug in the rendering which slightly distorted the display.
removed:
- no more xml settings file.
- no more splash screen. if an error occurs, a message
is overlayed on top of the vis.

although the new sync code is a bit hacked up, i think it should solve problems with recent and future builds. please post your feedback. if all is ok, i will proceed with voice.

- Nickman - 2004-11-05

(stcogoli @ nov. 05 2004,08:51 Wrote:hello to all and sorry about the lack of updates, i've been
busy lately. :nuts: i haven't worked on voice yet, i wanted to fix the visuals and sync before adding new stuff. so i uploaded a new patch on sf.net. the cdg reader is no longer a visualisation but an overlay for other vises
added:
- cdg files are now streamed and do not delay the start of audio playback.
- a karaoke gui settings screen now allows one to:
  *enable/disable cdg lookup.
  *set the av delay parameter for the best sync(0.8 secs is the default).
  *set transparency values for the cdg background and foreground; i.e. the default values of bg alpha=0 and fg alpha=255 will usually result in only the lyrics (and special graphics) being displayed and the current visualisation acting as the background.
- the y button now pauses cdg parsing and the right trigger fast forwards.
- fixed a bug which appeared in recent xbmc builds where the cdg would only show up on the first song of a playlist.
- fixed (hopefully) a bug where sync could be different for the first song in the playlist and the subsequent ones.
- fixed a bug in the rendering which slightly distorted the display.
removed:
- no more xml settings file.
- no more splash screen. if an error occurs, a message
 is overlayed on top of the vis.

although the new sync code is a bit hacked up, i think it should solve  problems with recent and future builds. please post your feedback. if all is ok, i will proceed with voice.
works like a charm :kickass:
hope it will go into the cvs soon so i don't have to manualy add it my self every time i have updated the cvs.

- Bobbin007 - 2004-11-05

checked into cvs

nice one, looks great with the vis in the background. :thumbsup:

greets

bobbin007

- stcogoli - 2004-11-05

Quote:nice one, looks great with the vis in the background.
thanks, i think it looks its best with goom. i have a weak stomach and it makes me sick to try and read with fountain in the background...

- Bobbin007 - 2004-11-05

looks and reads great for me at least with the cdg's i have. Smile

greets

bobbin007

- black88mx6 - 2004-11-06

welcome back stcogoli and thanks for the updates. once i get the next cvs i will post an update. Wink

- nem - 2004-11-07

it would be great if .kar (midi karaoke) can be played in xmbc :thumbsup: since there are thousands of free kar files for download on the net and lyrics text will be displayed in high resolution, better than low-res cdg . but implement a general midi software synthersizer for xbox is not easy Sad

- stcogoli - 2004-11-07

Quote:it would be great if .kar (midi karaoke) can be played in xmbc  
i agree that the more formats supported, the better we are off but like you pointed out, you also have to take into account the amount of work required versus the advantages gained.
Quote:since there are thousands of free kar files for download on the net
there are literally hundreds of thousands of .cdg files available on irc if you know where to look.(don't ask me, though... Rolleyes )
Quote:and lyrics text will be displayed in high resolution, better than low-res cdg
i agree that cdg res is a bit low but it has the advantages of being a stream which can display any graphics, not just text and of being independent of the music format. i personally prefer having low res on graphics and high quality on music rather than having high res text-only with low-quality midi music. i guess the best would be to have a text stream that is not integrated in a crappy music format. you could then have high-quality on lyrics and on music (and no graphics but that wouldn't bother me). i dunno if such a format exists but if it does, i think rendering the text stream would be easy and worth it but i don't personally like .kar and would only add that feature if someone can point me to a canned implementation that could easily be ported.

- monkeyhappy - 2004-11-10

ms communicator support is already in cvs, it has mic support for gamers voice talk, so it might a good start point for mic support in karaoke now.

- Gamester17 - 2004-11-10

@stcogoli, i have a question that's probebely slightly off-topic(?) and that question is; does this (your code) support standard cd+g cd's (discs)?, that is retail cd+g karaoke cdda cd's that one can buy in some stores?, (that's the type of discs some standalone cd/dvd-players or karaoke-machines support). reason i ask is that need the info for the xbmc project page (link)