Kodi Community Forum
.CDG Karaoke-files support for music - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: .CDG Karaoke-files support for music (/showthread.php?tid=4654)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

- stcogoli - 2004-11-10

Quote:ms communicator support is already in cvs, it has mic support for gamers voice talk, so it might a good start point for mic support in karaoke now.
i know, i just saw it. i've been working on that for the past few days. this should definitely speed things up.
Quote:@stcogoli, i have a question that's probebely slightly off-topic(?) and that question is; does this (your code) support standard cd+g cd's (discs)?, that is retail cd+g karaoke cdda cd's that one can buy in some stores?, (that's the type of discs some standalone cd/dvd-players or karaoke-machines support). reason i ask is that need the info for the xbmc project page (link)
nope. on a cd+g compact disc, the cdg data is stored in the subchannel stream. most standard cd-rom drives can't read subchannel data and given the very cheap nature of the xbox drives, i've always assumed that they can't physically read the subchannel. even if it could physically read it (which someone here more knowledgeable than me may infirm or confirm), this would also have to be supported in the software, which it is not at the moment.

- tcghost - 2004-11-11

just wanted to say that this is a very great addition to xbmc and that it would be even better if it supported .kar files as well (.kar files are midi files with synchronized lyrics in them)

- black88mx6 - 2004-11-12

just tried the new stuff;  i like the option of the background, but don't like the 0-255 to set it. its too large a range. also depending on the screen calibration you still see the visualization even if you have it to 255. this is around the edged only. no quick way to turn visualization on/off with cd+g running.

it would be nice if you play a cd+g file to have it flip to the screen on instead of hitting the blue button each time also.

had many hangs running and testing the different visualizations; not sure why, but it could of been my build.

- stcogoli - 2004-11-12

Quote: i like the option of the background, but don't like the 0-255 to set it. its too large a range.
good point, it is a bit too granular a range.
Quote: no quick way to turn visualization on/off with cd+g running.
another good point. it's sometimes dizzying to see the vis in background.
Quote:it would be nice if you play a cd+g file to have it flip to the screen on instead of hitting the blue button each time also.
also a good idea. for a vis only, it would be a little invasive to have it start automatically but if you have cgd enabled in the settings, then i guess it's ok cause you can easily turn it off.
Quote:also depending on the screen calibration you still see the visualization even if you have it to 255. this is around the edged only.
the cdg display window takes its size from the overscan settings so if you see the vis on the edge, just go to settings->video and adjust the overscan width and height.
Quote:had many hangs running and testing the different visualizations; not sure why, but it could of been my build.
i haven't experienced any hangs but will test it more thoroughly.

- Gamester17 - 2004-11-12

(stcogoli @ nov. 10 2004,17:53 Wrote:
Quote:@stcogoli, i have a question that's probebely slightly off-topic(?) and that question is; does this (your code) support standard cd+g cd's (discs)?, that is retail cd+g karaoke cdda cd's that one can buy in some stores?, (that's the type of discs some standalone cd/dvd-players or karaoke-machines support). reason i ask is that need the info for the xbmc project page (link)
nope. on a cd+g compact disc, the cdg data is stored in the subchannel stream. most standard cd-rom drives can't read subchannel data and given the very cheap nature of the xbox drives, i've always assumed that they can't physically read the subchannel.  even if it could physically read it (which someone here more knowledgeable than me may infirm or confirm), this would also have to be supported in the software, which it is not at the moment.
i very much doubt that the thomson and philips xbox dvd-rom drive support subchannel, however i suspect that the samsung drive do(?)
ps! probebly indirectly realted; cd-text support was implemented into libcdio for xbmc recently and only the samsung drive support it Wink

- stcogoli - 2004-11-12

Quote:ps! probebly indirectly realted; cd-text support was implemented into libcdio for xbmc recently and only the samsung drive support it
then i guess samsung drives can read cd+g discs cause cd-text is stored in the same subchannels as cd+g. will look into it but it will be hard to implement for me cause i don't have a samsung.

- black88mx6 - 2004-11-12

look slike my hangs were mostly related tothe build of xbmc that i was trying to use. not always best to get the latest and greatest. will do some more testing/singing this weekend.

- stcogoli - 2004-11-12

Quote:then i guess samsung drives can read cd+g discs cause cd-text is stored in the same subchannels as cd+g. will look into it but it will be hard to implement for me cause i don't have a samsung.
just looked at the libcio code and had a lot of trouble understanding the part that reads the data from the subchannel, it's all a series of cryptic scsi commands. this is a bit too low-level for me and i realistically don't think i would be able to modify libcio to support cd+g. keep me posted if the makers of libcio eventually add cd+g support.

- Gamester17 - 2004-11-12

@stcogoli, if you as a devloper contact the creator of libcdio ("rocky bernstein" <[email protected]>) i'm sure he will help you out Wink
ps! you can buy xbox samsung dvd-rom drives on ebay.com, it will set you back around $50, i'm sure karaoke fans could help you out

- bokchoy - 2004-11-14

is it possible to add .zip support that contains the .cdg/.mp3?

- stcogoli - 2004-11-14

Quote:is it possible to add .zip support that contains the .cdg/.mp3?
i think it would be possible to put the .cdg in a rar but the mp3 would remain unarchived so that xbmc can recognize the format and play it (besides, it's already compressed).
will look into this later.

- nem - 2004-11-16

can we use a xvid or mpeg file as background ? when i was in japan, all of their karaoke machines use video as backrgound , it looks much better than blank background of cd-g :o

- shznyt - 2004-11-17

just got the new konami karoake revolution game and thought maybe there is something in it that would be of value to this project. might wanna check it out.

- stcogoli - 2004-11-17

Quote:can we use a xvid or mpeg file as background ? when i was in japan, all of their karaoke machines use video as backrgound , it looks much better than blank background of cd-g
not supported for now but would be easy to implement. the problem is that unless the cdg was not created specifically for that mpeg, then it will most likely be out of sync with the audio. you could always sync it manually by fast forwarding and then pausing/unpausing but that's a pain. maybe the best would be to bundle some sort of custom sync files with the .cdgs but you then also have to come up with some way of creating these files (filling in numbers in a .ini by hand until sync is good would also be a pain). so i'm waiting a little bit to implement this one.

- Momus - 2004-11-17

wow stcogoli, i am very excited to discover your work. thank you.

now if you all will forgive one who is very new to the whole scene, i have a question about use of this patch. specifically, how does one use it now that the cdg reader is no longer a vis. i found the visualizations attic on sourceforge, but i'm assuming the files there are outdated, especially since stcogoli said it was no longer a vis.

bobbin007 said on nov. 5, shortly after stcogoli's most recent update, that the plugin was checked into cvs. i took that to mean that the patch had been incoporated into the daily cvs build. would that only apply to the nov5 build? i have a build from nov. 15, but i can find no settings for cdg or the karaoke gui that stcogoli refers to. do i need to find a nov. 5 build in order to have the cdg functions? is it simply a matter of whether a particular skin supports the karaoke gui? i have started using pmii while trying to get xlink kai working. is there only support in project mayem?

as a new forum member here, i have dutifully read through this entire thread and have searched the forums for any reference to cdg, and this thread seems to be the only real discussion of it. yet there are no specifics about how to find the karaoke gui in xbmc.

if someone could quickly detail what it is i need to look for and where, i'm pretty savvy and shouldn't require too much hand holding. or if, as a non-dev person this is all way over my head, i would appreciate a gentle nudge from someone starting me in the right direction. Wink

excited to be exploring the scene and looking forward to successful cdg playback. thanks for any assitance.