Kodi Community Forum
.CDG Karaoke-files support for music - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: .CDG Karaoke-files support for music (/showthread.php?tid=4654)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

- jmarshall - 2004-11-17

hi momus, and welcome.

yes, you need a post nov 5th build, and a skin that supports the gui option. i haven't looked at the pm2 skin to see if it has support for this.

for pm1, the support is right there under settings. (ie it's one of the 11? options that come up when you first select settings.) i don't know if chokemaniac has moved it or not since then.

even if you can't find the settings in the gui, you can still change them though. xbmc saves it's settings to e:\tdata\0face008\settings.xml. just have a look in there (once you've saved your settings at least once by changing a setting) and the appropriate places to change should be obvious.

all you do then is play a mp3 file with a .cdg named similarly.

i'm currently redoing the settings structure etc., so this problem of skins not supporting a particular setting will be a thing of the past.

cheers,
jonathan

- stcogoli - 2004-11-17

Quote:i'm currently redoing the settings structure etc., so this problem of skins not supporting a particular setting will be a thing of the past.
that's great news :thumbsup:. it's a real pain to have to update the skin everytime something is changed.

- Momus - 2004-11-17

thanks for the info jmarshall. i loaded the original project mayhem skin and, sure enough, the karaoke options were right there in the settings menu. i wonder why the karaoke settings wouldn't simply be included in project mayhem ii by default?

ah well, for the moment i'll just have to switch back and forth. the cdg support works wonderully btw, thanks so much!

quick thought. the 255 levels of transparency might be easier to deal with if one could quickly jump through them in a manner similar to the right trigger feature used in with my programs. that is, if you held the right trigger and pressed a at the same time it might very quickly cycle through the 255. that way you could quickly jump to say 173 and then adjust it up or down a couple points. rather than run the risk of losing the ability to subtley adjust the level of transparency by limiting them, you could make the levels easier to navigate. admitedly i don't know what's involved in this...perhaps more trouble than it's worth. Smile

thanks again for the help, and thanks for working so hard on support for this format stcogoli.

- Hullebulle - 2004-11-18

(momus @ nov. 17 2004,18:41 Wrote:i wonder why the karaoke settings wouldn't simply be included in project mayhem ii by default?
guess its just a matter of time cause chokey have to care about 2 skins now. but maybe you wanna help? add the missing settings to the pmii skin xml files and submit a patch. Wink

- Momus - 2004-11-18

good suggestion hullebulle. i'm completely new to the dev scene so i'm not sure i'm qualified to do that. is it really as simple as copying code from one xml file to another. i might play around with it. it'll make a good crash course intro for me. Wink

- jjacknel - 2004-11-19

(stcogoli @ nov. 17 2004,01:27 Wrote:
Quote:can we use a xvid or mpeg file as background ? when i was in japan, all of their karaoke machines use video as backrgound , it looks much better than blank background of cd-g
not supported for now but would be easy to implement. the problem is that unless the cdg was not created specifically for that mpeg, then it will most likely be out of sync with the audio. you could always sync it manually by fast forwarding and then pausing/unpausing but that's a pain. maybe the best would be to bundle some sort of custom sync files with the .cdgs but you then also have to come up with some way of creating these files (filling in numbers in a .ini by hand until sync is good would also be a pain). so i'm waiting a little bit to implement this one.
im not entirely sure if users would neccesarily need to have the cdg/mp3 sync to actual video files - though it would be good...

when i read this i had the idea that the words could be overlaid over "general" video clips - kinda like how old vcd and now dvd karaoke vids are -

anyway great work - i havent updated since september because i havnet used it but - man i know when i next upgrade ill be in for a great surprise Smile

- stcogoli - 2004-11-19

Quote:im not entirely sure if users would neccesarily need to have the cdg/mp3 sync to actual video files
i disagree. i think it would suck to overlay the cdg lyrics on top of video if it's out of sync.

- rlamirand - 2004-11-19

have you thought about creating a my karaoke section on the main menu of xbmc? i think this could be benificial. if there were a sperate interface for karaoke you could:

1. full screen karaoke file playback
2. partial screed karaoke file playback. pop-up list of karaoke songs, sortable similar to my music (use id3 tag information in .mp3). this screen would pop-up on the left side of the screen by selecting a controller button. on the top half of the pop-up would be the songe queue. on the bottom half of the pop-up would be a list of karaoke songs in the library (similar to above).
3. a full screen view allowing you to create/load a playlist of karaoke files, select individual karaoke files and manage a current song queue.
4. a status bar for mic useage one it becomes available.

perhaps some of this interface modification could be handled by other programmers who are knowlegable about xbmc interface design more so than support for cd+g files. this might speed our karaoke efforts along.

- stcogoli - 2004-11-19

rlamirand, the goal right now is to have all the basic functionality working. only when this is done does it make sense imo to add gui bells and whistles.

- jjacknel - 2004-11-21

(stcogoli @ nov. 19 2004,15:09 Wrote:
Quote:im not entirely sure if users would neccesarily need to have the cdg/mp3 sync to actual video files
i disagree. i think it would suck to overlay the cdg lyrics on top of video if it's out of sync.
Smile what i meant by that is - the video in the bg would not neccesarily be that of the actual music clip... like it might be just scenic shots or transitions between images (turned into a vide - im not suggesting u have an option to have image transitions etc... i already think u have done much more than anyone had expected...... heck from memory cdg was pretty low priority )

obviously if it was overlaid over the original clip - then ya u would have an issue with sync.... and if this was the idea - then the major issue here would be that a lot of the cdg created are not created exactly according to the original...

but ya... hope what i meant is clear Smile

again great work ..

- dwe_3 - 2004-11-22

first, thanks stcogoli, great work.

there seems to be a bug in closing down the cdg file at the end of a song. i am playing my files over xbms and when cdg is enabled, if i try to play an mp3 (with or without cdg file) after an mp3 has stopped (with or without cdg file), the xbox hangs.

if i manually stop the mp3 (and/or cdg) before the song ends, it works fine. playlists work fine. only problem is when a song terminates at the end of the playlist or a single song.

- stcogoli - 2004-11-22

Quote:what i meant by that is - the video in the bg would not neccesarily be that of the actual music clip
oh i see, that makes more sense :nuts: but i suspect it would be more difficult to implement cause you might need two instances of mplayer (one for sound, one for video) and i'm not sure if that could be easily achieved. or maybe we could somehow hijack the sound output of a single video instance...

- Yawa - 2004-11-30

sorry for the noob question, but i used xbmc 1.1 and i couldn`t find support for my mic, that comes with my xbox music mixer.

is the mic support still in development?

and what are cdg and kar files?
sure, it`s for karaoke, but what is included in these files?

i have some mpg videos, they are instrumental with lyrics.
are these another karaoke files like cdg/kar?

thanks!

- sticky - 2004-11-30

(yawa @ nov. 30 2004,09:16 Wrote:sorry for the noob question, but i used xbmc 1.1 and i couldn`t find support for my mic, that comes with my xbox music mixer.

is the mic support still in development?
hrmm...the other 8 pages of the thread mention several times that mic support no workie yet.

but i do have another question...

my xbox is connected to a 1080i hd set and xaraoke seems to work well, but the text seems to have a ton of overscan that no other menu system (or plugin has). the text is readable, but it's very large (probably supposed to be very large) but the top/bottom and left/right are clipped and off screen.

anyone else have this issue..? wonder if it's an hd thing...

- stcogoli - 2004-12-02

i kinda expected the hd display to be screwed cause i dunno exactly how it works and i did not bother trying to get it right since  i don't have a hd myself to test it. it's probly simple to fix but would be a pita for me to do...unless somebody wants to donate one...  :lookaround:

from my previous post: .cdg is a file containing a graphics stream which can be displayed in sync with any other music file (mp3, wav, etc) whereas .kar contains synthetized midi music with a synchronized plain-text stream. roughly, .cdg and .kar are respectively to music files what the subtitle formats (.idx, .sub) and .srt are to movies. mpg movies can also be used for karaoke but they are not very standard (hard to obtain) and take a lot of space.