Kodi Community Forum
[MOD] Aeon Stark Comics - Own Section and View with FanArt for Comic Books (CBR/CBZ) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [MOD] Aeon Stark Comics - Own Section and View with FanArt for Comic Books (CBR/CBZ) (/showthread.php?tid=48191)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- Angelscry - 2011-09-23

Invincer Wrote:I did exactly as the guide says and the youtube video, but all I get is a script error everytime I try to run the 2nd launcher Sad Has anything changed about how to do this? Using v1.5.7

john.doe Wrote:Exactly the same like @Invincer.
You both need to edit the files with a text editor that support UTF-8 format. Simply editing them with notepad or wordpad will generate an error, because they save text into ANSI format by default. You can try to edit them using PSpad (as into the video). Read all the post of this page : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=888456#post888456

- Invincer - 2011-09-23

Actually I did use pspad... is there a certain setting or way to make it save in the correct format?

- Angelscry - 2011-09-23

Invincer Wrote:Actually I did use pspad... is there a certain setting or way to make it save in the correct format?
Look here : http://forum.pspad.com/read.php?4,45099#msg-45106
The idea is to setup PsPad to keep the encoding format (UTF-8 or ANSI) of any edited files. Once you have done this.... to be sure that your files are into UTF-8 format download again Advanced Launcher (http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-advanced-launcher/downloads/list) and edit the files with PsPad.

- Invincer - 2011-09-23

Tried updating the version of pspad, made sure to open the files in UTF-8 and saved that way. Redownloaded the plugin fresh and tried different names of folder and references, doesn't matter, I still get the error. I have followed the steps exactly but nothing seems to work... Sad

duplicate launchers - cracksloth - 2011-09-24

Angelscry, the need for advanced launcher in a lot of different types of media is clear (games, external programs, comics, other collectible files, etc.). since this kind of creates a problem in organization for a lot of people, would you consider adding support for organizing launchers into folders? This way a single installation of advanced launcher could be used for all types of launchers. In the long term, I think this solution would be best. In the meantime, would you please add copies of AL to your repository (named "Advanced Launcher - 2nd Copy", "Advanced Launcher - 3rd Copy", etc.). This way, users don't have to do manual editing and we would get updates as you release them. I think it would really help out a lot of people. Either way, thanks for the amazing addon - definitely gets a lot of use in my house!

- Angelscry - 2011-09-24

cracksloth Wrote:Angelscry, the need for advanced launcher in a lot of different types of media is clear (games, external programs, comics, other collectible files, etc.). since this kind of creates a problem in organization for a lot of people, would you consider adding support for organizing launchers into folders? This way a single installation of advanced launcher could be used for all types of launchers. In the long term, I think this solution would be best. In the meantime, would you please add copies of AL to your repository (named "Advanced Launcher - 2nd Copy", "Advanced Launcher - 3rd Copy", etc.). This way, users don't have to do manual editing and we would get updates as you release them. I think it would really help out a lot of people. Either way, thanks for the amazing addon - definitely gets a lot of use in my house!
No... I will change nothing. Seriously... it take you less than 30 seconds to copy/paste a folder, remane it and edit 2 text files.

- Invincer - 2011-09-25

Angelscry Wrote:No... I will change nothing. Seriously... it take you less than 30 seconds to copy/paste a folder, remane it and edit 2 text files.

With all due respect, and I say that most sincerely as Advanced Launcher is one of the most awesome add-ons there is, maybe it would be good for a 2nd launcher or one set up for comics as Comic Launcher, etc. I have no problems spending time making 2nd or 3rd copies, in fact I have spent a couple hours trying, but as documented before, for whatever reasons, duplicates give errors on my XBMC. Maybe if it was available in repository it would work, I don't know, maybe not... I would love to download one from somebody that has it working on another system to see if it is because of my build or my PSPad saving it wrong or what...

Either way, Margro has put up a newer PVR build so I will try it when I get home and maybe (Hopefully!) I will be able to have multiple instances of AL on it without the problems I have been experiencing with the dupes. Will update once I find out...

- cracksloth - 2011-09-25

my bad - like i said, it's a great tool and i'm not lazy (i already have multiple instances of AL running fine). just thought i was providing feedback for a more positive user experience - i hope that was how it was received. fwiw, once you know how to do something it may only take 30 seconds - for me, the true time investment was in researching a way to do it (or even being stubborn enough to consider the possibility that a workaround was possible). as i said before, great job with the addon.

- hentai23 - 2011-09-25

they have a point

i added comics as a favourite in my main menu and i click on it and it brings me to my comics folder but if i go into games it brings up my comics so i backspace and im in my games wich makes sense since both use the same adv -.-'

guys are right perhaps make a adv for comics too , i myself cant wrap my head around the complex tuts you put up for creating a second adv im a complete noob

i would appreciate tons angelscry youre work is most valued.peace

- Invincer - 2011-09-25

Unfortunately with the new PVR compile for 9-20; it still gives a script error when trying to run a 2nd Advanced Launcher... Sad

UPDATE: The download works perfectly, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! (Still no idea why the one I did did not work, file changes are identical for those 2 file name edits, and all open UTF-8)

- Angelscry - 2011-09-25

Invincer Wrote:With all due respect, and I say that most sincerely as Advanced Launcher is one of the most awesome add-ons there is, maybe it would be good for a 2nd launcher or one set up for comics as Comic Launcher, etc. I have no problems spending time making 2nd or 3rd copies, in fact I have spent a couple hours trying, but as documented before, for whatever reasons, duplicates give errors on my XBMC. Maybe if it was available in repository it would work, I don't know, maybe not... I would love to download one from somebody that has it working on another system to see if it is because of my build or my PSPad saving it wrong or what...

Either way, Margro has put up a newer PVR build so I will try it when I get home and maybe (Hopefully!) I will be able to have multiple instances of AL on it without the problems I have been experiencing with the dupes. Will update once I find out...
I have just tested with last XBMC Pre-Eden version (2011/09/25) and with last XBMC Pre-Eden Margo version (2011/09/20) and the Advanced Launcher duplication trick is working for both. So the problem is somewhere else.

Here is a copy of the duplicate Advanced Launcher add-on on my system (http://www.mediafire.com/?095ll3uir2anvz9). Download it. Extract it. And copy the extracted folder into your XBMC/addons directory. And tell me if it is working or not on your system.

- Angelscry - 2011-09-25

cracksloth Wrote:my bad - like i said, it's a great tool and i'm not lazy (i already have multiple instances of AL running fine). just thought i was providing feedback for a more positive user experience - i hope that was how it was received. fwiw, once you know how to do something it may only take 30 seconds - for me, the true time investment was in researching a way to do it (or even being stubborn enough to consider the possibility that a workaround was possible). as i said before, great job with the addon.
No problem. I always prefered to explain users how to do things they want to obtain, instead than give them it already done. That's why I take time to give huge technical support on Advanced Launcher (user guide, wiki pages, dedicated forum, youtube tutorial).

I alway planed to work on Advanced Launcher to offer to users the largest range of use and application possible with Advanced Launcher and not limit it only to specific application (only for games, only for comics, etc...).

Provide several versions of Advanced Launcher add-on on the repository (named "Advanced Launcher - 2nd Copy", "Advanced Launcher - 3rd Copy", etc.) is not for me a good way to solve the problem. If an user plan to use 10 duplicate versions of Advanced Launcher, does this mean that I will have to provide 10 differents version of Advanced Launcher for each updates? That does not make sense. It better to explain user how to duplicate it himself to make 10, 100, 1000 duplication if he wants. But if like for Invincer it is not working, I will take time to found why, and try to help him (now its is working... but I still to want to know why it was not working).

Also, duplicate Advanced Launcher is only the base. I'm actually preparing another small tutorial to explain how rename "Advanced Launcher" duplicates into for example "Advanced Games", "Advanced Comics" and change the default icons. So users will be able to exactly customize Advanced Launcher how they want for there specific uses.

- Angelscry - 2011-09-25

hentai23 Wrote:i added comics as a favourite in my main menu and i click on it and it brings me to my comics folder but if i go into games it brings up my comics so i backspace and im in my games wich makes sense since both use the same adv -.-'
That's the goal of the Advanced Launcher duplication. And that's actually the simpliest and pro-active way to do it, believe me.

I already thought to use different launchers.xml files at the same time with 1 Advanced Launcher addon. But it is not possible. If you want 2 differents and independant Advanced Launcher addon, the only way is to duplicate them. I also thought to add an option into Advanced Launcher to duplicate it automatically... but here is it not possible due to write limitation access into the xbmc/addon directory. The actual way to do it is the easy way to do it.

hentai23 Wrote:guys are right perhaps make a adv for comics too , i myself cant wrap my head around the complex tuts you put up for creating a second adv im a complete noob
Advanced Launcher application is for all (games, browsers, video streams, comics, magazines, ebooks, etc...). There is no limits. So why I will make another different version specifically limited to Comics?

- cracksloth - 2011-09-25

I agree that it is a horrible long term plan to offer several identical copies of the addon - it was just a short term idea. the long term idea would be to make launchers sortable into a single level of folders. one way to do this would be to add a menu item "move to folder". when selected, the user would type a folder name. if the launcher was already in a folder, there would be a second option "remove from folder". items that are not placed in a folder would still be in root. empty folders would be deleted. to me, this would not add a lot of complexity to the code and for users who don't need the feature, AL would work exactly the same way (so there isn't a need to rewrite a bunch of tutorials). it would solve a lot of headaches for users (not to mention you would not have to deal with those headaches from a technical support point of view). i imagine it is frustrating dealing with new users who ask the same questions that have been documented and discussed over and over. this might just be a way of avoiding some of that. anyway, just something to think about. keep up the great work!

- hentai23 - 2011-09-25

ok ill just download the duplicate launcher you linked to a couple posts up xD angelscry

nope didnt work -.-' crashes my xbmc ..