Kodi Community Forum
On performance - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: On performance (/showthread.php?tid=48252)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- Hitcher - 2009-04-07

Quote:First off, Hitcher, your gfx is an ATI 2400 did you say? I'm assuming thats a discrete card?
Discrete?
Quote:Secondly, ideally what size should the thumbnail images be and does XBMC cache copies of these automatically? did someone mention earlier that if there's a movie.tbn in the movie directory it uses that instead of the cached version?
The size of your original thumbnails (<moviename>.tbn or movie.tbn stored alongside your movie) doesn't really matter but bigger is better as the quality of the cached thumbs will improve.
The cached thumbs (created by XBMC when it first scans your <moviename>.tbn or movie.tbn) use 512 as the default <thumbsize> (512x512=232144pixels) and these are the ones that are shown in all views, be it Showcase, Wall, List, Panel or any other type of view for any other skins.
The movie.tbn is only used for fullscreen info so there's on need to resize your thumbnails.
Quote:Thirdly - those that are running smooth - are your video files on the same hard drive as your XBMC installation? I'm sure it isn't HDD lag but I'm trying to get to bottom of this.
My movies are on a NAS and a USB HDD attached to the NAS but XBMC has all the information it needs to display the various view modes in it's Userdata folder.
smcnally75 Wrote:This is not necessary anymore if your movies are all each in their own folder. If they are in their own folder then Stark will use the original folder.jpg.
movie.tbn not folder.jpg

- smcnally75 - 2009-04-07

Crewone Wrote:So many options Sad

I do not have a folder.jpg, but I do have a fanart.jpg. Is there a difference? Or could I just rename all fanart.jpg's to folder.jpg's?

Sorry about that...As Hitcher pointed out, I wrote the wrong file down. It uses the movie.tbn file. But, to answer your question, they are not the same files...folder.jpg is a poster or dvd cover image, not a fanart background.

- Basti3k - 2009-04-07

HTPC:
OrigenAE S14V silber
LG GGC-H20L
4GB-KIT DDR2 MDT
Seasonic S12II
WD Caviar GreenPower 2TB
Scythe Shuriken
AMD Phenom II X3 710 AM3
GA-MA78GPM-DS2H @780G @512mb VRAM
XBMC + Aeon Stark
Windows Vista 64bit
1920x1080 (1080P)

Heimkino:
LCD: Philips 47PFL7403D
Input: Playstation 3, XBOX 360, No-Name DVD-Player
Verstärker: Denon AVR-1906 @ 7.0

- Nazgulled - 2009-04-07

Just wondering, is it possible that PSU can have anything to do with slow performance?

I'm asking this because it's the only component that I didn't bought, I'm using an old OEM 370W PSU for this brand new HTPC (bought in January).

Nazgulled Wrote:Just wondering, is it possible that PSU can have anything to do with slow performance?

I'm asking this because it's the only component that I didn't bought, I'm using an old OEM 370W PSU for this brand new HTPC (bought in January).

I don't think it would. I would think that if the PSU wasn't providing enough power to your video card then it would just all out not work. I could be wrong though.

- Ayla - 2009-04-07

Nazgulled Wrote:Just wondering, is it possible that PSU can have anything to do with slow performance?

No way.

Stark uses a lot of CPU / GPU (more than other skins) = slow performance.

But it does look pretty though Smile

Ayla Wrote:No way.

Stark uses a lot of CPU / GPU (more than other skins) = slow performance.

But it does look pretty though Smile

Stark uses a lot of CPU / GPU (more than other skins) = slow performance On Some PCs, but not all.

I have an inexpensive setup and it runs nicely on mine.

- Vorm - 2009-04-07

Discrete = "Separate GFX card rather than integrated"

I've just ordered an ATI 3450 to go in this machine as it will work WITH the integrated 3200 chip utilising CrossfireX.

For £28, I thought it was worth a punt to see if it makes a difference

- garyi - 2009-04-07

Well there is of course a significant issue for a thread such as this, user perception. One mans good performance is another shit hole.

Anyhow, after a full refresh of data and with the pref file in place it still skips merrily through movies etc.

I think it fair to point out that in general I use plex and it was not designed for that. So anyway I shall wait and see how harmony support develops for XBMC and will be back soon.

Fantastic looking skin though sets the bar for others to look to.

- Hitcher - 2009-04-07

Vorm Wrote:Discrete = "Separate GFX card rather than integrated"

I've just ordered an ATI 3450 to go in this machine as it will work WITH the integrated 3200 chip utilising CrossfireX.

For £28, I thought it was worth a punt to see if it makes a difference

Yes it is a separate card.

- Vorm - 2009-04-08

Ok - thanks for the info.

The ATI 3450 has arrived so will be putting that in tonight to see if it makes any difference. If not - i have a 8800GT in my machine upstairs I can try.

Liverpool v Chelsea tonight too so I'll be pushed for time Wink

- Crewone - 2009-04-08

I just wanted to report that my upgrade from an intel G35 to a nvidia 9400GT has resulted in aeon stark being ultra smooth Smile

- MrTourettes - 2009-04-08

Data Storage :
16TB stored in 5bay Nas Boxes running Raid 5 on each Nas

Media Rig :
Windows 7 7068 Build 64bit
Intel Core 2 E8600 3.33mhz
4GB Ram
ATI 3870
4xOCZ Solid State Drives
1920x1080

Runs smooth as anything. Only downside is some movies take an eternity to start when they have been selected.

Development Rig :
Windows Vista 64Bit sp1
Intel Core i7 965 @ 3.20mhz
6GB Ram
ATI 4870x2
6xOCZ Solid State Drives
1680x1050

Runs as smooth as runny shite off a shiney shovel.

- quebert - 2009-04-09

well Stark with the flow mode on ran sort of choppy on the HTPC box I built for a friend - I linked to the specs on the first page. On my box e6550 + Nvidia 8600GT it runs a lot smoother. I haven't enabled debug yet to get an actual frame rate. But to my naked eye it's moving perfectly. I know there are other factors that *could* be making it run better on my box than the other. I'm going to run it tomorrow and check the frame rate. For all those wondering, you can get an 8600 level card for probably 20 bucks, they're low low end now a days Big Grin

- Vorm - 2009-04-09

quebert Wrote:For all those wondering, you can get an 8600 level card for probably 20 bucks, they're low low end now a days Big Grin

£115 in the UK - not so 20 bucks here i'm afraid

£86 for a 9600 though.