Kodi Community Forum
On performance - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: On performance (/showthread.php?tid=48252)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- iBeech - 2009-04-09

Vista 32-Bit
4GB DDR2 RAM
ATI 3650 512mb (DVI->HDMI)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz

Struggles when flicking between movies in showcase. This appears to be because of the fanart loading in the background. If i turn fanart off, it's much better.

You can see it dropping a frame or 2 every now and then as you watch the RSS feeds scroll....

- deflux - 2009-04-10

Have two computers running XBMC

Laptop - Vista 32
- 2.2Ghz Core2
- 4GB Ram
- Nvidia 8400G Mobile

Performance is awesome , have yet to try the hdmi out though.

Desktop - XP SP3
- P4 E6400(2.13Ghz)
- 1GB Ram
- Ati X1250 Onboard

Performance is absolutely terrible in wall view, and also in the customize menu. It drops to 1FPS and stays there. I tried windowed mode and it seemed to work fine for a while (wall view was working perfectly, all the thumbnail changes were very fluid) but only when I went to full screen mode, and then back out(Alt+enter 2x). Now it refuses to work at all no matter what I try. Video playback is fine, list view works fine. In debug mode it shows ~300-400MB ram free so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is.

Using both 8.1atlantis and 9.1stark. let me know if you need any more info.

- Hitcher - 2009-04-10

Lack of RAM and onboard graphics.

- whity - 2009-04-11

I've finally found some time to try different configurations on my Asus EEEBox B202 running Ubuntu 8.10 / XBMC from PPA / Stark 0.91.

Intel Atom N270 (1.6 GHz, FSB 533)
DDRII 1 GB
On-board Intel GMA 950 (working at 1680x1050)

Standard-Stark is VERY sluggish, virtually unusable.
And I don't blame the thumbnails, because even the setting screens behave like a slide show.

When using a downscaled texture pack (Aeon Stark Lite, 720p unpacked), Aeon runs much smoother. After setting the thumbnail size to 384 px (via advancedsettings.xml) and tweaking screen/aeon settings, even my movie library is now browsable with 5-25 fps.

System RAM doesn't seem to be the problem, I don't use too much of it.
Does XBMC use the video card's memory for the skins? I think there's a possible choke point.

P.S. on my desktop computer (DualCore 3 GHz / 3 GB Ram / GeForce 9800GT) Aeon works fine. Smile

- Locutus - 2009-04-11

HTPC:
Windows XP Pro
AMD X3 710
nVidia 8400GS
4GB DDR2 800
320GB 7200U/min 2,5"
via HDMI on a 46" Toshiba 1080p

Workstation:
Intel i920@3Ghz
12GB DDR3 1600Mhz
ATI HD4870 1GB
2x 640GB WD @Raid0/1

everything works on both PCs!

- FernFerret - 2009-04-11

It must be Video ram, I have a linux box that CANT play 1080p video with any skin, and it has 4gb of ram, it has onboard geforce 6 series, which I know must be the issue. It can almost handle a 1080p skin, but it's REAL slow...

--FF

- deflux - 2009-04-12

Update on my situation from above, not sure why I didn't think of this before.

I was able to allocate more of my system memory to the onboard video card and everything runs smooth now Big Grin

- Nazgulled - 2009-04-12

deflux Wrote:Update on my situation from above, not sure why I didn't think of this before.

I was able to allocate more of my system memory to the onboard video card and everything runs smooth now Big Grin
Care to share how did you do that? I would love to try it on my system...

How much memory does your video card need to run everything smooth?

- D Unit - 2009-04-12

If I am streaming all my media, do I still need a 7200 rpm drive? Specifically, will a 2.5" 5400 laptop drive suffice?

- garyi - 2009-04-13

STreaming media will be more effected by the speed of you network. I have gigabit networking throughout and a droboshare to speeds for that are around 19megs a second. So speed of the harddrive is unimportant in that respect.

- Freddo - 2009-04-13

I use a 2.5" 5400rpm disk in my mediacenter, it's perfectly fine even streaming bluray.

- deflux - 2009-04-13

Nazgulled Wrote:Care to share how did you do that? I would love to try it on my system...

How much memory does your video card need to run everything smooth?

It depends on the motherboard...
In your bios there is usually an option to declare how much memory gets "shared" to the on board video. I set mine to 256, which was enough (it uses 64 by default)

- Crewone - 2009-04-13

Although even a slow small harddisk will work fine, I find that my recent switch to a small (30GB) SSD makes a world of difference. Aeon feels much smoother now and above that my system now is 100% passive except for a large 120mm fan, wich makes for a great and absolutely quiet HTPC experience... Big Grin

- Hitcher - 2009-04-13

D Unit Wrote:If I am streaming all my media, do I still need a 7200 rpm drive? Specifically, will a 2.5" 5400 laptop drive suffice?
That'll make no difference to the skin as all the information being used is stored in the USERDATA folder.

- Vorm - 2009-04-13

I have sorted the stuttering on my installation and it is the most bizarre thing. I can't explain why but I can, how.

Running XBMC from the shortcut on the desktop with the command line -fs -p made the Stark stutter in coverflow. I got fed up trying to sort it out so decided to set up the remote control for use with XBMC and noted that when I started the program from the remote (the remote software using a link directly to the exe file in the XBMC install directory) then coverflow would run smoothly.

Starting the program directly from the exe file and not shortcut on the desktop i created had the effect of running a different instance of XBMC, all of the settings I had configured going into the program from the desktop were gone and I had to set up the program again.

I am happy that It's working fine now but maybe one of the devs can explain what happened and it may help someone who is experiencing stuttering int he program to get it sorted.

Incidentally, I am not getting any additional frames per second but the program just runs smoother.

Any ideas?

V