Kodi Community Forum
On performance - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: On performance (/showthread.php?tid=48252)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- D Unit - 2009-04-13

Thanks for all the replies guys about using the 2.5" 5400rpm laptop drive. Although I confess, that I do see a small SSD in the near future to achieve the ultimate passive machine as stated above.Big Grin

- Hitcher - 2009-04-13

Vorm Wrote:I have sorted the stuttering on my installation and it is the most bizarre thing. I can't explain why but I can, how.

Running XBMC from the shortcut on the desktop with the command line -fs -p made the Stark stutter in coverflow. I got fed up trying to sort it out so decided to set up the remote control for use with XBMC and noted that when I started the program from the remote (the remote software using a link directly to the exe file in the XBMC install directory) then coverflow would run smoothly.

Starting the program directly from the exe file and not shortcut on the desktop i created had the effect of running a different instance of XBMC, all of the settings I had configured going into the program from the desktop were gone and I had to set up the program again.

I am happy that It's working fine now but maybe one of the devs can explain what happened and it may help someone who is experiencing stuttering int he program to get it sorted.

Incidentally, I am not getting any additional frames per second but the program just runs smoother.

Any ideas?

V
You shouldn't be using the '-p' command anymore as that's only meant for Portable installs.

- Vorm - 2009-04-13

Hitcher Wrote:You shouldn't be using the '-p' command anymore as that's only meant for Portable installs.

Not sure why the shortcut I was running had that in it. Must have read it somewhere when I was first reading up on installing.

Anyway, this must have been what was causing the problem for me.

- D Unit - 2009-04-13

Quick question. What's the most optimum way I can use my current hardware? Install Ubuntu vs. Windows? If Windows, which one... XP or Vista64? External player using Media Player Classic for 1080P .mkv? Tweaking thumbnails?

Is there some of sort of "Tips and Tricks" thread that shows users how to leverage their current HW?
  • Asus M3N78-VM $70 shipped
  • AMD 5050e - $60 at Frys
  • Scythe Mini Ninja HSF (passive cooler) - $40 shipped at Newegg
  • Antec 2480 - $90 at Frys
  • spare 4GB Crucial Ballistix
  • spare 80G 2.5" 5400rpm laptop drive
  • spare DVD-rom

- Nazgulled - 2009-04-13

Vorm Wrote:I have sorted the stuttering on my installation and it is the most bizarre thing. I can't explain why but I can, how.

Running XBMC from the shortcut on the desktop with the command line -fs -p made the Stark stutter in coverflow. I got fed up trying to sort it out so decided to set up the remote control for use with XBMC and noted that when I started the program from the remote (the remote software using a link directly to the exe file in the XBMC install directory) then coverflow would run smoothly.

Starting the program directly from the exe file and not shortcut on the desktop i created had the effect of running a different instance of XBMC, all of the settings I had configured going into the program from the desktop were gone and I had to set up the program again.

I am happy that It's working fine now but maybe one of the devs can explain what happened and it may help someone who is experiencing stuttering int he program to get it sorted.

Incidentally, I am not getting any additional frames per second but the program just runs smoother.

Any ideas?

V
1) The fact that you used to run with -p and now you don't, doing that (removing -p) switch, like you said, creates a whole new profile for XBMC, like a clean install (that's why all the settings were gone). Some setting or some file was interfering with Aeon.If that was indeed the cause...

2) If you removed the -fs switch that means your not running in fullscreen and if you are not running in fullscreen I supose you're in window mode? That would definately make things smoother as the resolution Aeon would be running on is smaller. But I don't think you are running XBMC in window mode. So... maybe now, you're not exactly running XBMC in the same resolution as before? Could you please check the resolution you are running XBMC now with all that smoothness and report back?

- indy5 - 2009-04-13

Here's my setup and some interesting notes

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
AMD 4850e (overclocked to 2.8)
Vista 32
4 GB RAM
Stark

My system is running inside of a very tiny Hipermedia case, so it does not have a ton of cooling. The XBMC main menu runs fine, even with some custom 720p background images for the various menu choices. Things take a turn for the worse inside Movies and TV Shows.

Using showcase with coverflow, my CPU utilization jumps to about 50%. This is without scrolling through the movies. What I also notice, is that when inside of this mode, my CPU fan kicks in to its max. In many cases, just being in the showcase mode using more CPU than playing back a video file.

Should I invest in a faster CPU? Maybe there is something wrong with my overclocking settings? When I leave the CPU at stock, I still get the high utilization in showcase, as well as the CPU fan running at max.

Thanks for any ideas.

- Delver - 2009-04-14

indy5 Wrote:Here's my setup and some interesting notes

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
AMD 4850e (overclocked to 2.8)
Vista 32
4 GB RAM
Stark

My system is running inside of a very tiny Hipermedia case, so it does not have a ton of cooling. The XBMC main menu runs fine, even with some custom 720p background images for the various menu choices. Things take a turn for the worse inside Movies and TV Shows.

Using showcase with coverflow, my CPU utilization jumps to about 50%. This is without scrolling through the movies. What I also notice, is that when inside of this mode, my CPU fan kicks in to its max. In many cases, just being in the showcase mode using more CPU than playing back a video file.

Should I invest in a faster CPU? Maybe there is something wrong with my overclocking settings? When I leave the CPU at stock, I still get the high utilization in showcase, as well as the CPU fan running at max.

Thanks for any ideas.

I've got pretty much the same setup, except less RAM. I even have the same mb & CPU, overclocked to the same amount Big Grin Yeah the main menu is fine for me, its just the showcase view that gives me trouble. CPU jumps up, and is not smooth at all. In flat view its fine, barely a jump to be noticed. Its just the showcase view that kills it.

- garvani - 2009-04-14

AMD Phenom2 940
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
4gb DDR2 1066
WD 1tb 7200rpm drive
512mb ATI radeon Saphire 4830 (overclocked)
Stark
22" Viewsonic running at 1920x1080
Windows 7 Post beta build
640gb Dlink NAS box, hosting most content including fanart etc for movies.

No problems at all with general use. Haven't checked usage when in showcase view but it wont be high, no stuttering between normal changes of movies with full fanart etc enabled, if you scroll through movie folder fast you get frame rate issues but im pretty sure that cant be avoided and isn't a concern for me as i like to scroll through slowly. Wall view is fine.Can play 1080p mkv's flawlessly (no tearing either which is fantastic!). Cpu usage around 20% playing 1080p.

- Vorm - 2009-04-14

Nazgulled Wrote:1) The fact that you used to run with -p and now you don't, doing that (removing -p) switch, like you said, creates a whole new profile for XBMC, like a clean install (that's why all the settings were gone). Some setting or some file was interfering with Aeon.If that was indeed the cause...

2) If you removed the -fs switch that means your not running in fullscreen and if you are not running in fullscreen I supose you're in window mode? That would definately make things smoother as the resolution Aeon would be running on is smaller. But I don't think you are running XBMC in window mode. So... maybe now, you're not exactly running XBMC in the same resolution as before? Could you please check the resolution you are running XBMC now with all that smoothness and report back?

I'm pretty sure the iMedia software links the quickstart button to the shortcut to run XMBC in fullscreen mode in the start menu /users/startmenu/XBMC (? guessing - at work on an XP machine and XBMC runs on a Vista machine at home) and yeah - the -p switch was obvioulsy what was making it laggy.

- Nazgulled - 2009-04-14

That doesn't really help, the resolution could be lower and you just don't notice and since you removed the -p switch, all your settings were deleted...

Anyway, I tried to remove the whole XBMC profile on the AppData/Roaming and try again, but it didn't help anything for me.

- D Unit - 2009-04-14

Crewone Wrote:Although even a slow small harddisk will work fine, I find that my recent switch to a small (30GB) SSD makes a world of difference. Aeon feels much smoother now and above that my system now is 100% passive except for a large 120mm fan, wich makes for a great and absolutely quiet HTPC experience... Big Grin

This morning, my coworker brought in his netbook with an SSD installed. It is noticeably faster when opening up programs since the read access times are so fast. Since we are not talking about 1080p playback, wouldn't Aeon's bottleneck be the hard drive and not necessarily the CPU? For example, when browsing through the showcase, isn't it just accessing read on the hard drive to display all the cover art stuff?

- indy5 - 2009-04-17

Delver Wrote:I've got pretty much the same setup, except less RAM. I even have the same mb & CPU, overclocked to the same amount Big Grin Yeah the main menu is fine for me, its just the showcase view that gives me trouble. CPU jumps up, and is not smooth at all. In flat view its fine, barely a jump to be noticed. Its just the showcase view that kills it.

I've noticed that even with fanart turned off, showcase view is still very taxing on my system. Are the CPU requirements that high just to load the grouping of posters on the screen. Is there any sort of real-time processing taking place in the showcase view, without actually scrolling around or doing anything?

- Hitcher - 2009-04-17

D Unit Wrote:This morning, my coworker brought in his netbook with an SSD installed. It is noticeably faster when opening up programs since the read access times are so fast. Since we are not talking about 1080p playback, wouldn't Aeon's bottleneck be the hard drive and not necessarily the CPU? For example, when browsing through the showcase, isn't it just accessing read on the hard drive to display all the cover art stuff?

Yes, XBMC has all that info stored in the USERDATA folder.

- v0lrath - 2009-04-17

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
AMD 4850e
XP SP3
2 GB RAM
Stark
Movies are all on external drives

The main menu is flawless, but it stutters pretty bad in Showcase, and even in list view it isn't very smooth. Wall view is a joke.

I'm seeing a pattern with this CPU...

- indy5 - 2009-04-17

v0lrath Wrote:Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
AMD 4850e
XP SP3
2 GB RAM
Stark
Movies are all on external drives

The main menu is flawless, but it stutters pretty bad in Showcase, and even in list view it isn't very smooth. Wall view is a joke.

I'm seeing a pattern with this CPU...

If the CPU is truly the issue here, what is so demanding about the showcase and wall views that it is more taxing than actually playing back 720p content? I can also play back many 1080p files without too much trouble.