Kodi Community Forum
On performance - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: On performance (/showthread.php?tid=48252)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- Nmarconi - 2009-04-05

HTPC
Live 8.1.2 beta from usb
C2D E8400 @ 3.0Ghz
Nvidia 8400 w/ 512 ram
2 GB Ram DDR2 800
at 1080 x 1920
MCE remote via usb
wireless keyboard via usb

Runs perfectly smooth when using keyboard. Remote lags for some reason - im hoping its just batteries, but it seems to work fine with MS. Im gonna get some batteries tomorrow to eliminate that possibility. It seems to have trouble with continues scrolls (it will only move 3 movies to the right/left before stopping even though i am holding it down. What strange is I can see the receiver picking up the IR signals. They just seem to work about 80% of the time. Im thinking its the batteries. When i use the keyboard, it couldnt be smoother.

- djh_ - 2009-04-05

That or some weird EventGhost/response time issue. Took me a good while to get my Harmony remote working as desired.

- mindweaver - 2009-04-05

djh_ Wrote:That or some weird EventGhost/response time issue. Took me a good while to get my Harmony remote working as desired.

are there any special settings inside the Harmony Configuration program that you can recommend? responsetime wise or such?

- Advocate - 2009-04-05

Desktop and HTPC (I use the same for both), running XBMC
OS X Leopard 10.5.6
Mac Pro 1st Gen quad 2.66 Xeon
9GB RAM
ATi X1900XT
XBMC - 2560x1600 with a secondary monitor @ 1920 x 1200 (which I think affects OS X Performance)

Overall very impressive performance with only minor stuttering if I'm quickly browsing through my movies.

- garyi - 2009-04-05

Computer(s) Latest Mac Mini 2ghz, 4 gigs ram running Plex.

I have no idea how to debug. There is a lot of stuttering when scrolling through movies.

Computer: iMac 1.8ghz, 4 gigs ram. Running PLEX and latest XBMC.

In both runs well. But on all systems there is one very annoying bug bear in the main menu, flicking through the background picture seems to take about half a second to catch up, its nothing but its infuriating at the same time!

I have a couple of contributing factors, the main would be all my media is on a NAS.

What I don't understand is if this is contributing to the sluggishness, why doesn't Plex or XMBC simply rely on local data until such time as the play button is pressed?

- SirBC - 2009-04-05

I'm in the process of building a new HTPC and want to use the Linux +VDPAU for hardware decoding, which means I can get away with a low-end CPU.

I'm wondering though if Stark would benefit from the HW decoding, or would the low-end CPU kill skin performance?

-Dave

- parrots - 2009-04-05

HTPC running Vista
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
Intel BOXDG45ID LGA 775 Intel G45 (G45 has hardware support for decoding blu-ray codecs)
2 gig ram
500gig SATA HD

All media is mounted from a network share. Performance is overall great, get 40+fps throughout. Only hickup is if I use flow mode as opposed to flat posters, then I hop down to about 9fps. Not too surprising -- integrated card isn't amazing for opengl and the likes.

- Halibutt - 2009-04-05

My stats are in my signature. Everything runs smoothly in 1080 even when browsing the web (Firefox, which seems rather RAM-hungry these days), downloading something through FTP or torrent. Didn't try running games on my primary monitor while playing films on the other though. My brain wouldn't cope with such multitasking I'm afraid.
Cheers

- Shaman - 2009-04-05

Was wondering if increasing the size of the thumbnail cache would make the showcase view smoother? If that is the case where is this parameter defined?

@+,
Sha!

- djh_ - 2009-04-05

Quite the opposite.

- OpieCunningham - 2009-04-05

HTPC
Mac Mini (new)
2.26ghz intel
Nvidia 9400
2gb ram
1920x1080
SVN 19217

Runs perfectly. Though I only use the Music section (no movies/videos at this point).

Great work djh, thanks!

- quebert - 2009-04-05

SirBC Wrote:I'm in the process of building a new HTPC and want to use the Linux +VDPAU for hardware decoding, which means I can get away with a low-end CPU.

I'm wondering though if Stark would benefit from the HW decoding, or would the low-end CPU kill skin performance?

-Dave

VDPAU is for video. won't do a thing to help the skins performance. I haven't heard about how Stark performs in Linux, maybe it's less intensive and you don't need as much juice. If what I'm gathering is correct Stark benefits more from a dececent video card than the CPU power.

- Crewone - 2009-04-05

djh_ Wrote:Quite the opposite.

Increasing the thumbnail cache will decrease performance? Is that what you're saying? (Seems ... weird.)

- Hitcher - 2009-04-05

Shaman Wrote:Was wondering if increasing the size of the thumbnail cache would make the showcase view smoother? If that is the case where is this parameter defined?
djh_ Wrote:Quite the opposite.
Crewone Wrote:Increasing the thumbnail cache will decrease performance? Is that what you're saying? (Seems ... weird.)
He probably thought you meant the thumbsize setting because there is no thumbnail cache size.

- smcnally75 - 2009-04-06

Nazgulled Wrote:It doesn't to me...

Stark can increase the CPU load more than we are used too, but why do I always get a CPU usage around 30%-50% (no more than 50%) when I run it? Why doesn't it use more CPU and provide a smoother experience?

I would understand this jerkiness if the CPU was always at very high load, but that's not what's happening.

Wrong! That maybe the case with you, it's not with other people. It seems you didn't read one of my posts before... The only library I'm currently using is the Music one and all my cover art resolution is 500x500 (sometimes 600x600, but no more than that), way smaller than the 1280x720 resolution you are suggesting.

As for Videos/TV Shows, I use file mode for the time being and if I open TV Shows or Videos in showcase with flow, it's still slow and it doesn't have any fanart or posters to deal with.

So no, that's not the root cause for the jerkiness some of us are having.

If I had tor resize all my fanart and posters to make it smooth, I would, but I don't have fanart, and my posters/cover art are way smaller than that, so...

Do you do anything other than complain? All I've seen from you in this thread is you bitching at people and telling them that everything they say "Doesn't make sense to me". Are you educated in software or hardware development, or do you know enough about how CPUs and GPUs are accessed and used? If not, then why does it matter whether or not it makes sense to you. The way I see it, you have two options. One would be to better understand your PC and set it up in the best way to handle Stark and if you can't get it working properly then either get a PC that can. Or your second option would be to move on to another skin. All I can say is that a lot of people are not having the issues you are so it is something with either YOUR htpc, or YOUR video settings.