Kodi Community Forum
On performance - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: On performance (/showthread.php?tid=48252)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- SirBC - 2009-04-06

quebert Wrote:VDPAU is for video. won't do a thing to help the skins performance. I haven't heard about how Stark performs in Linux, maybe it's less intensive and you don't need as much juice. If what I'm gathering is correct Stark benefits more from a dececent video card than the CPU power.

Gotcha. This may change my build strategy then.

-Dave

- Steve_McQueen - 2009-04-06

Is anyone able to make an educated guess on the ION platform, or tested Atom?

- Vorm - 2009-04-06

Vista 32
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e,
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H (Onboard ATI 3200)
4GB RAM
Aeon Stark.

Performance generally fine - slight stutter in coverflow - enough to keep it set on flat.

- HexusOdy - 2009-04-06

smcnally75 Wrote:Do you do anything other than complain? All I've seen from you in this thread is you bitching at people and telling them that everything they say "Doesn't make sense to me". Are you educated in software or hardware development, or do you know enough about how CPUs and GPUs are accessed and used? If not, then why does it matter whether or not it makes sense to you. The way I see it, you have two options. One would be to better understand your PC and set it up in the best way to handle Stark and if you can't get it working properly then either get a PC that can. Or your second option would be to move on to another skin. All I can say is that a lot of people are not having the issues you are so it is something with either YOUR htpc, or YOUR video settings.

I can't say I 100% agree McNally. I do agree that things could be asked in a less whiney more grateful manner but on saying that most of the comments you refer to about him not understanding are made to comments that don't make sense.

I think the crux of it is that he is running an almost identical spec to other users that are running without issues and having those issues at less than 50% CPU load. Alot of the responses to what it might be have been random opinions that don't make sense and don't fit in with the facts.

For example, somebody saying his PC isn't powerful enough when he's running at less than 50% CPU usage and he has same spec as others running fine is hardly a logical response.

I hear where your coming from, but as yet I haven't seen an answer that explains what it could be given the facts Nazgulled has mentioned.

- watzen - 2009-04-06

1) HTPC

Windows XP MCE
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3,0ghz
4gb RAM
P5N7A-VM w/ igpu GeForce 9300 (latest drivers ofc)
Running on a 3,5" sata disk

Background tasks: uTorrent, firefox etc.. doesn't seem to mather

Performance: Smooth at most times @ 1080p60, the choppyness I experience is when browsing in showcase with fanart on. which lead my to think that it's harddrive related since when the fanart has loaded and I flick back and fourth between three "loaded" fanarts it's very smooth without hicups.

2) Laptop

Windows Vista Premium
Intel Core2Duo P8400 2,26ghz
4gb RAM
GeForce 9300M GS
2,5" Sata

Performance: Not as smooth as my HTPC @ 1080p60. (and before I upgraded my drivers, it was unbearable).

Could it be related to harddrive performance?

- Ayla - 2009-04-06

watzen Wrote:1) HTPC

Windows XP MCE
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3,0ghz
4gb RAM
P5N7A-VM w/ igpu GeForce 9300 (latest drivers ofc)
Running on a 3,5" sata disk

Could it be related to harddrive performance?

That's almost exactly the same system I'm using, MB, CPU, RAM etc.

Except I have a 2.5" disk and use OS X, Plex.

And as I posted earlier, my system i very laggy with Stark (not with MediaStream).

- Urme - 2009-04-06

What size of the covers are optimal for Aeon? Because I downloaded covers that were 1000x1500 and above and it doesn't run smooth :p So I suppose I need to resize all my covers, but not sure to which resolution, I'm running Aeon on 1366x768.

- djh_ - 2009-04-06

I wonder how many people posting have:

a) set their <thumbsize> value to 400 or less in advancedsettings.xml
b) done the above and deleted their existing thumbnail cache and refreshed

Both are essential for optimum performance, imo.

- Ayla - 2009-04-06

djh_ Wrote:I wonder how many people posting have:

What does the <thumbsize> setting do djh?

I don't think that Plex even has an advancedsettings.xml as default.

And, what's the folder we need to delete, exactly?

Thanks,

- Hitcher - 2009-04-06

Urme Wrote:What size of the covers are optimal for Aeon? Because I downloaded covers that were 1000x1500 and above and it doesn't run smooth :p So I suppose I need to resize all my covers, but not sure to which resolution, I'm running Aeon on 1366x768.
There's no need to resize your posters only adjust the <thumbsize> as these cached thumbs are the ones that get displayed.
djh_ Wrote:I wonder how many people posting have:

Ayla Wrote:What does the <thumbsize> setting do djh?

I don't think that Plex even has an advancedsettings.xml as default.

And, what's the folder we need to delete, exactly?

Thanks,

Quote:<thumbsize>

Size of the square in pixels that XBMC will use to cache thumbnail images. If the thumb is smaller than this size it will be cached as-is. If it is larger it will be scaled so that the number of pixels is less than a square of this value. Default is 512 (192 on xbox), which refers to 512x512 = 262144 (for XBox 192x192 = 36864) pixels in total. The thumbnail will be cached at using the same aspect ratio as the original image, using up to 262144 (for XBox 36864) pixels.
No version of XBMC has an advancedsettings.xml by default it's created by the user.

And you'll need to delete all the folders in your Video Thumbnail folder (found in your USERDATA folder) except the Fanart one.

- Ayla - 2009-04-06

Hitcher Wrote:There's no need to resize your posters only adjust the <thumbsize> as these cached thumbs are the ones that get displayed.

No version of XBMC has an advancedsettings.xml by default it's created by the user.

And you'll need to delete all the folders in your Video Thumbnail folder (found in your USERDATA folder) except the Fanart one.

OK, thanks for the info.

I will try and create an advancedsettings.xml file and set thumbsize to "400" - I hope it makes Stark more usable.

- Vorm - 2009-04-06

Ayla Wrote:OK, thanks for the info.

I will try and create an advancedsettings.xml file and set thumbsize to "400" - I hope it makes Stark more usable.

Please post back with your results Wink

- harryzimm - 2009-04-06

Asus P5N7A-VM
intel E8400
2gb ram
1080p 60hz

I had slight stutter in coverflow so i took djh_' advice and deleted Thumbnails/video folder. Stuck <thumbsize>400</thumbsize> in advancedsettings.xml. I also rescaned my library, now coverflow is very smooth.Big Grin Thanks a lot.

- Vorm - 2009-04-06

harryzimm Wrote:Asus P5N7A-VM
intel E8400
2gb ram
1080p 60hz

I had slight stutter in coverflow so i took djh_' advice and deleted my library and everything in my Thumbnails/video folder. Stuck <thumbsize>400<thumbsize> in advancedsettings.xml, rescaned my library and now coverflow is very smooth.Big Grin Thanks a lot

This sounds encouraging - what's your gfx on that system?

- harryzimm - 2009-04-06

Its a nvidia geforce 9300 igp upped to 512mb in bios.

cheers