Kodi Community Forum
On performance - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: On performance (/showthread.php?tid=48252)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- garyi - 2009-04-06

So anyway I created a file with the above data and deleted the thumbs as instructed, now I have a movies section full of fan art and generic thumbs.

This is why people like me rely on other people to make things wok below the surface Rolleyes

- Vorm - 2009-04-06

Nazgulled Wrote:If you are creating the file as it doesn't exist you need something more like:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <thumbsize>400</thumbsize>
</advancedsettings>
And put all your advanced settings inside <advancedsettings>

You don't need to be programmers and this has nothing to do with programming per se. Everything is well explained in XBMC manual.

...and this is inside a file called advancedsettings.xml in the Aeon Stark/720p directory?

Sorry if this is specified elsewhere - I work 16 hours a day and often don't
have the time to search through a huge knowledgebase - that's why we have communities right? Smile

Hey - if anyone wants insolvency advice - I'm your man

- smcnally75 - 2009-04-06

garyi Wrote:So anyway I created a file with the above data and deleted the thumbs as instructed, now I have a movies section full of fan art and generic thumbs.

Did you also rescan your library in XBMC?

garyi Wrote:This is why people like me rely on other people to make things wok below the surface Rolleyes
There is plenty of information in the online manual that explains all of this. If you aren't very good at do the more advanced setup then I would recommend either reading through the manual fully.

Vorm Wrote:...and this is inside a file called advancedsettings.xml in the Aeon Stark/720p directory?

Sorry if this is specified elsewhere - I work 16 hours a day and often don't
have the time to search through a huge knowledgebase - that's why we have communities right? Smile

Hey - if anyone wants insolvency advice - I'm your man

I don't do this often, but since you seem to be too busy to search the wiki I did it for you.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsettings.xml

- Vorm - 2009-04-06

smcnally75 Wrote:I don't do this often, but since you seem to be too busy to search the wiki I did it for you.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsettings.xml

Many thanks smcnally - may you never end up bankrupt Big Grin

- garyi - 2009-04-06

I guess I was a little impatient, DJH sort of says 'everyone should have done this...' so I 'done this'

'this' seems to have screwed my library so I have ditched the entire folder and started again, and now I will go back to my hole, because the online manual might as well be in Cantonese (or put another way devised for people that are interested in programming, which I am not, and for this reason alone why I should have never tried creating an 'advancedsettings.xml' even though the creator of the skin implied thats what everyone should have done*)

*I am not having a go, just explaining my limitations, which I am aware of so am pretty calm right now haha.

- daveisadork - 2009-04-06

HTPC:
Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10
AMD Athlon FX62 @ 3.0gHz
2gb RAM
GeForce 9400 GT w/ 512mb VRAM and driver version 185.13

Background tasks: SABnzbd+ and Firefox (occasionally)

Performance: Near perfect at 1280x720... 720p video playback with VDPAU uses something like 2% CPU, the only "problem" is that scrolling through the main menu makes the interface "stick" for a split second while the new backdrop for each item is loaded.

gryi, you should be able to just rescan your library and the images will come back. If they don't, then delete your video database that is in your userdata folder and rescan.

- Hitcher - 2009-04-06

daveisadork Wrote:the only "problem" is that scrolling through the main menu makes the interface "stick" for a split second while the new backdrop for each item is loaded.

That seems strange because when scrolling the backdrop should stay on the the one that was shown at the start of the scroll and only update when you stop scrolling.

- Vorm - 2009-04-06

Hitcher Wrote:That seems strange because when scrolling the backdrop should stay on the the one that was shown at the start of the scroll and only update when you stop scrolling.

I think this is the "stutter" that we are talking about - just moving from one thumb to the next - loading the new background makes the scroll movement halt for a split second during the transition.

- Dannydeman - 2009-04-06

Dell Studio 15 laptop
2.00GHZ dual core mobile something CPU
3GB DDR
Ati Mobility Radeon 3450 with the 9.1 driver
Windows Vista SP1
1920x1080 (1080P)

Well performance isn't that great Sad it seems to stutter a little when navigate between movie items and the menu (basically everywhere), like Mediaportal always does. Seems like low FPS?

I might be able to optimize it with changing some OpenGL settings, but I don't think so though

- garyi - 2009-04-06

smcnally75 Wrote:gryi, you should be able to just rescan your library and the images will come back. If they don't, then delete your video database that is in your userdata folder and rescan.

What I have done is ditched the whole folder and relaunched. A new folder is created to whit I put the advanced.xml file in the userdata folder.

Then relaunched and scanned for content. Right now its pulling in movies. My assumption is it will see my advancedsettings.xml and all should be fine, I am going to bed now.

TBH I scanned for new content before, which I guess is not re-scanning the library, so my bad.

- Vorm - 2009-04-06

I set my thumb size to 384 - deleted my movies folder and re scanned it and I'm still getting 14-18 fps stuttering in coverflow

Anyone think this might be a Vista thing? I'll quite happily put XP on if that will make it better

- Crewone - 2009-04-06

Vorm Wrote:I set my thumb size to 384 - deleted my movies folder and re scanned it and I'm still getting 14-18 fps stuttering in coverflow

Anyone think this might be a Vista thing? I'll quite happily put XP on if that will make it better

I'm certain it is not a vista thing.

I reduced the "thumbsize" from 512 to 330(*) and I definitely notice an improvement on my HTPC. Still not quite there, but close. On my desktop PC, which has a better video card, it is now so smooth you wouldn't believe it. (Also from 512 to 330)

(*) On my 1920x1080 panel, a thumbnail in the coverflow mode is 260px wide and has a ratio (height) of 1.62 times the width. The square root of 260*1.62*260 = 330. Which means that thumbnails are still shown at full resolution in the coverflow layout.

- daveisadork - 2009-04-06

Vorm Wrote:I think this is the "stutter" that we are talking about - just moving from one thumb to the next - loading the new background makes the scroll movement halt for a split second during the transition.

I don't think so, the showcase view works fine for me. I'm talking about in the main menu (Movies, TV, Settings, Weather, Pictures, etc).