Kodi Community Forum
On performance - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: On performance (/showthread.php?tid=48252)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- Vorm - 2009-04-06

daveisadork Wrote:I don't think so, the showcase view works fine for me. I'm talking about in the main menu (Movies, TV, Settings, Weather, Pictures, etc).

Sorry - my misunderstanding.

I'll try 330 later and see if that makes any difference.

Sticking with Vista for the time being then Smile

Some screens for comparison - Hitcher - 2009-04-06

ATI Radeon HD 2400 - 1920x1080@60Hz - Triple buffering on

Thumbsize 512 (default)

Thumbsize 384

Thumbsize 256

- Vorm - 2009-04-06

what OS mate?

also, if Windows - can you post which gfx drivers u are using

oh = and xbmc version - lets try and get to the bottom of this

- stoli - 2009-04-06

Intel E7300 (2.366GHz)
ASUS P5N7A-VM w/on board NVIDIA GeForce 9300
4 Gig Ram
Windows 7 Build 7000
Latest NVIDIA Win7 Drivers
NVIDIA Triple buffering turned off for xmbc.exe
1920x1080 @ 30Hz (1080i Sony Bravia)
Thumbnails set to 400

Runs smooth as can be. Main menu screen is 30fps @ about 7% CPU usage. When in showcase it will drop to around 12fps after scrolling through around 30-40 movies and CPU usage will go up to around 52%, occassionaly jumping as high as 92%. When idle in showcase FPS is @ 24 and cpu 19-21%

-stoli-

- Hitcher - 2009-04-06

Vorm Wrote:what OS mate?

also, if Windows - can you post which gfx drivers u are using

Vista 32 bit.

ATI Catalyst™ 9.3 Display Driver for Windows Vista (32 bit) 3/18/2009.

- Vorm - 2009-04-06

Hitcher Wrote:Vista 43 bit.

ATI Catalyst™ 9.3 Display Driver for Windows Vista (32 bit) 3/18/2009.

Assuming you mean 32, thats the same as me. but I'm running the IGP ATI 3200

-

Nope - still as rough as a badgers arse.

If i just go back and forth between two movies I get a steady 20fps but as soon as I move onto a new movie it drops to 14 and looks terrible.

- nitio - 2009-04-07

I must be too much of a retard but how the hell do I rescan my collection? I've try to searhc for new content, update library and it does nada! I seriously do not want to update each series/movie each now that I've deleted all the thumbs to reduce the thumbsize Sad

- smcnally75 - 2009-04-07

Delete your thumbs and video database and then rescan.

- nitio - 2009-04-07

aw crap, so simple yet so annoying Sad *goes and wait for a loooooooooooooooong time*

thanks! as soon as I have it all set up I'll post if I had any improvements on performance Smile

- david81 - 2009-04-07

nitio Wrote:aw crap, so simple yet so annoying Sad *goes and wait for a loooooooooooooooong time*

If you aren't already using one, you might want to try Media Companion or Media Info Plus. May save you time in the future if you need to reload your library.

- Hitcher - 2009-04-07

nitio Wrote:I must be too much of a retard but how the hell do I rescan my collection? I've try to searhc for new content, update library and it does nada! I seriously do not want to update each series/movie each now that I've deleted all the thumbs to reduce the thumbsize Sad
smcnally75 Wrote:Delete your thumbs and video database and then rescan.
There's no need to delete the database at all, just delete the video thumbs folder and when you enter your movies/tv shows XBMC will re-cache everything. Note: The screen will be black for a while if you have lots of videos.

- Vorm - 2009-04-07

Funny - Just about to go to bed last night and I managed to switch off my onboard GFX.

Anyway.

First off, Hitcher, your gfx is an ATI 2400 did you say? I'm assuming thats a discrete card?

Secondly, ideally what size should the thumbnail images be and does XBMC cache copies of these automatically? did someone mention earlier that if there's a movie.tbn in the movie directory it uses that instead of the cached version?

Thirdly - those that are running smooth - are your video files on the same hard drive as your XBMC installation? I'm sure it isn't HDD lag but I'm trying to get to bottom of this.

It may be that IGP ATI3200 just isn't up to the job of rendering coverflow fast enough.

- Crewone - 2009-04-07

Vorm Wrote:Funny - Just about to go to bed last night and I managed to switch off my onboard GFX.

Secondly, ideally what size should the thumbnail images be and does XBMC cache copies of these automatically? did someone mention earlier that if there's a movie.tbn in the movie directory it uses that instead of the cached version?

Thirdly - those that are running smooth - are your video files on the same hard drive as your XBMC installation? I'm sure it isn't HDD lag but I'm trying to get to bottom of this.

It may be that IGP ATI3200 just isn't up to the job of rendering coverflow fast enough.

The way I see it you have to consider the following:

1. The original thumbnail images used in coverflow and wall layouts.
2. The hires thumbnail images used in movie information.
3. The thumbnail cache that XBMC creates automatically and that caches resized versions of the original thumbnails.

Now the problem is this. If you set the <thumbsize> variable in advancedsettings.xml low, to say 330, you will start to notice that the quality of the movie information pages which show a large poster starts to degrade. But you will also notice (if you have a crap videocard like me) that the perfomance in coverflow increases. To remedy that, you can make a copy of the original hires thumbnail that Stark will use instead of the lowres cached version. It has to be named <moviename.ext>-big.png (even if it is a .jpg)

If you implement that, you will have nice hires movie information pages and small thumbnails in coverflow to improve performance. Original thumbnail size is mostly irrelevant because xbmc resizes them and caches them on the harddisk.

Example:

aladdin (1992)-720p-bluray-6cn-dolbydigital.mkv
aladdin (1992)-720p-bluray-6cn-dolbydigital.mkv-big.png <-- yes, weird name, but correct. (edited typo.)

resident evil-1080p-bluray-DTS.mkv
resident evil-1080p-bluray-DTS.mkv-big.png

- smcnally75 - 2009-04-07

Crewone Wrote:To remedy that, you can make a copy of the original hires thumbnail that Stark will use instead of the lowres cached version. It has to be named <moviename.ext>-big.png (even if it is a .jpg)

If you implement that, you will have nice hires movie information pages and small thumbnails in coverflow to improve performance. Original thumbnail size is mostly irrelevant because xbmc resizes them and caches them on the harddisk.
This is not necessary anymore if your movies are all each in their own folder. If they are in their own folder then Stark will use the original folder.jpg.

Crewone Wrote:aladdin (1992)-720p-bluray-6cn-dolbydigital.mkv-big.jpg <-- yes, weird name, but correct.

I know this was just a typo but I wanted to point out that it should be:
aladdin (1992)-720p-bluray-6cn-dolbydigital.mkv-big.png

- Crewone - 2009-04-07

smcnally75 Wrote:This is not necessary anymore if your movies are all each in their own folder. If they are in their own folder then Stark will use the original folder.jpg.

So many options Sad

I do not have a folder.jpg, but I do have a fanart.jpg. Is there a difference? Or could I just rename all fanart.jpg's to folder.jpg's?