Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=48517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

[WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC (Open Source C#) - kay.one - 2009-04-08

Me and kricker have been working on a little app for the past few weekends and its finally to the point that's ready to be tested.

it basically downloads the latest 3rd party build and updates your local installation. with option to do the update without any user intervention.

right now it doesn't have any scheduling built it, but i have designed it to be fully compatible with windows scheduler, (I personally have it setup under windows scheduler).

anyway, i have made the code available under GPLv2 License (Opensource) so feel free to dig in.

I would really appropriate any feedback or problem reports.

--Updated to version 0.7.9
Added: Extended Version-Info
Added: Prevent standby during update is running
Some prep work for the upcoming release to enable parital update
Code cleanup all around

--Updated to version 0.7.7
.Automatically updates itself.
.doesn't overwrite keymap.xml.

http://xbmcupdate.googlecode.com

Feature Request
Bug report

Windows Vista Users: If you have XBMC installed in C:\Program Files\ or other system protected folders in order for XBMCUpdate to be able to update those folders it would need to be started with Administrator privileges. To start XBMCUpdate under Administrator privileges manually, right click on XBMCUpdate icon and click on "Run as Administrator".
If you have XBMCUpdate setup in windows scheduler, make sure you have the option "Run with highest privileges checked".

Need volunteers to start writing some sample document and how-to guides. if you are interested please pm me

- natethomas - 2009-04-08

Very cool! I will check this out tomorrow afternoon!

- kricker - 2009-04-08

Hopefully we can get a script writer to help out and integrate this somewhat into XBMC, so an update can be triggered from within XBMC itself. Something akin to BBB's T3CH upgrader script that can send the app the proper parameters, with a rollback function.

- mindweaver - 2009-04-08

Nice Smile gonna give it a try!

EDIT: Tried it, seems to work nice Smile It updated my XBMC. But some kind of threading would be nice and some progressindicator telling the user that something is happening. Now the application locks up until the update is done, with no notification to the user that it's working.

When update was done it still said "Update available: xxxx" and i tried to press "check for updates" again but it did nothing.

I found one "can't connect to <url>" in the log.

- topfs2 - 2009-04-08

Nice work! That app look sleek!

Also if you look at Aptitude script over at xbmc-addons you could get an idea and code on how to integrate it with xbmc scripting.

Basically it does the following,
  • fork of a process which writes it´s progress to a temporary file
  • XBMC Script reads the progress and show it in a ProcessDialog
  • When update progress is done, script exits.

This is not the most beautifully integrated solution perhaps, but it works Smile
Also I´m unsure if threads are native to XBMC scripting or if we leverage the Linux OS for that, a real scripter would have to verify that.

Cheers,
Tobias.

- kay.one - 2009-04-08

I have been using xbmc since it was xbmp, I'm just happy that i can finally give something back!

I'm gonna take a look at xbmc scripting this weekend, use it as an excuse to learn python!

- xexe - 2009-04-08

Comments so far. When i comment on software i tend to brain dump so feel free to ignore anything Smile

Website looks good. Slick looking. Had problems downloading the app due to the fact i have so many script blockers it took me turning them all of to see the EULA. Im not a fan of this obfuscation of direct download links.

"remember to set your XBMC path in 'xbmcupdate.exe.confg' ". Not clear if this is the folder path or full path including EXE. Worth inserting an example.

Batch files or shortcuts or the like should be included to perform the two update types. Keep users away from the command line, most never use it.

I cannot actually get the app to run. I am guessing it needs something like .NET but there are no requirements listed and the error message is one of the unhelpful "Application failed to initialize" types. Assuming I am correct it should detect missing dependencies.

No log files were created to report this problem against.

Personally I would make it an installer and put the EULA in there.

Excellent work so far

- kay.one - 2009-04-08

xexe Wrote:Comments so far. When i comment on software i tend to brain dump so feel free to ignore anything Smile

Website looks good. Slick looking. Had problems downloading the app due to the fact i have so many script blockers it took me turning them all of to see the EULA. Im not a fan of this obfuscation of direct download links.

"remember to set your XBMC path in 'xbmcupdate.exe.confg' ". Not clear if this is the folder path or full path including EXE. Worth inserting an example.

Batch files or shortcuts or the like should be included to perform the two update types. Keep users away from the command line, most never use it.

I cannot actually get the app to run. I am guessing it needs something like .NET but there are no requirements listed and the error message is one of the unhelpful "Application failed to initialize" types. Assuming I am correct it should detect missing dependencies.

No log files were created to report this problem against.

Personally I would make it an installer and put the EULA in there.

Excellent work so far

great comments, completely agree with all of them,
i'll take care of them tomorrow since its 1:00am and i have to get up tomorrow morning,

the only thing i can't change is the website, that's provided by codeplex.com the opensource project hosting service.

- xexe - 2009-04-08

Should i go ahead and install .NET?

Really keen to see this bad boy in action

- kay.one - 2009-04-08

xexe Wrote:Should i go ahead and install .NET?

Really keen to see this bad boy in action

yeah just added it to the website too, since i figured it might be a common problem.

you can download it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=aea55f2f-07b5-4a8c-8a44-b4e1b196d5c0&displaylang=en

- kay.one - 2009-04-08

kay.one Wrote:yeah just added it to the website too, since i figured it might be a common problem.

you can download it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=aea55f2f-07b5-4a8c-8a44-b4e1b196d5c0&displaylang=en

can you send me a screen shot of the error before you install .net

so i can add it to the site?

- xexe - 2009-04-08

Will do

- xexe - 2009-04-08

Error screenshot as promised.

Installing .NET framework V2 fixed this error.

More suggestions/comments.
  • This thread should be stickied. Even in this first release it is better than the manual method.
  • The main screen is where you set the XBMC path. This is is setting and should probably be on the second settings page.
  • It needs a progress bar. This is the only thing so far I think it is really lacking to make it ready for prime time.
  • The EXE should have an icon. OK so this is a nice to have only but the default exe symbol will be a bit scary for the n00b users.
  • On first run it obviously creates files that allows it to track installed version. A simple message saying this on the main screen would make it more intuitive for users.
  • It isnt clear anywhere if you need to shutdown XBMC before running this tool or not. That should be clarified.
  • When checking for updates you could also grab the count of downloads for this version. If a user seen that REV12345 has 40,000 downloads they would have a higher confidence that all is well with the world.

I encourage other users to try this. Updating XBMC is SO easy using this tool.

- kricker - 2009-04-08

The URL for downloads will now be:
http://danielpatton.com/user-accounts/XBMC-updates/

- kricker - 2009-04-08

xexe Wrote:[*]It needs a progress bar. This is the only thing so far I think it is really lacking to make it ready for prime time.
It's a bug. There was a progress indicator. It's not showing up for me either now.