Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=48517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

- wildonrio - 2009-05-16

Can someone give me a link to the post that explains how to set this up in Vista/Seven to automatically run once a day in the background and update without me running it manually? Or if there is no post, can someone explain the steps? http://code.google.com/p/xbmcupdate/ is too vague.

EDIT: I figured it out. For the curious:

1. Make sure xbmcupdate.exe is run with administrator privileges (Properties>Compatibility).
2. Run Task Scheduler. Add a task to run a program every day at a time when you will be sleeping.
3. When prompted if you want to add arguments, add the argument "/update" so it will run and close by itself without needing you to click anything.
4. Once it's added, go to your task under Task Scheduler Library, right click to go to Properties, and make sure it is "Run with highest privileges."

I also suggest right clicking on it and saying "Run" just to make sure it works how you like it to. By the way, this DOESN'T overwrite the keymap.xml. This is great news as it was my biggest worry. (Previously, I always had to reimport my keymap.xml file after every install.)

- kay.one - 2009-05-16

wildonrio Wrote:By the way, this DOESN'T overwrite the keymap.xml. This is great news as it was my biggest worry. (Previously, I always had to reimport my keymap.xml file after every install.)

userdata folder is always ignored. any files places in that folder are safe from being overwritten.

- AzzX - 2009-05-17

Getting a wierd Jitter on all videos from every release after XBMC-20211.zip. Not sure if its related to these builds only or not yet.

- Hitcher - 2009-05-17

Smoothvideo has been added to the main branch. Have a look at your video settings.

- AzzX - 2009-05-17

Hitcher Wrote:Smoothvideo has been added to the main branch. Have a look at your video settings.

Thanks - looks like it, I have messed around with every possible setting. Whilst it is better it still is noway near as good as it was previously - ie not smooth Sad

- kay.one - 2009-06-08

no posts in a while! getting quite!

- kricker - 2009-06-08

I assume because it is working so well, and users are just waiting to see if any of the feature requests make it in.

- CrashX - 2009-06-08

Working well ...

- xexe - 2009-06-08

I use it daily. Not had a single issue yet

- zag - 2009-06-08

skin/plugin integration would be great Wink

- kricker - 2009-06-08

zag2me Wrote:skin/plugin integration would be great Wink
We need a good python plugin/script writer to help us out with that. Kay.one has already given us the hooks (kind of) to tap into the updater if someone can help out with the python part.

- kay.one - 2009-06-10

kricker Wrote:We need a good python plugin/script writer to help us out with that. Kay.one has already given us the hooks (kind of) to tap into the updater if someone can help out with the python part.

I can provide more flexibility through the command line interface if needs be,

- Evanrich - 2009-06-10

Any chance of getting this on linux? I absolutely love it for my windows install, but I'm about to put together a Zotac Ion based mini HTPC, and so I have to use the linux builds to get hardware acceleration. I'm thinking of using the live CD since it's the closest to a true HTPC, but I know zilch about Linux, so not sure how I'd easily get updates.

Either way great utility, I'm gonna donate some $ to you guys.

zag2me Wrote:skin/plugin integration would be great Wink

I second this, especially for Aeon Auriga. Currently I use the Git GUI to download updates as they're posted, but having this do it at the same time, would definately earn you guys some $$ from me.

Feature request: Add the ability to set the timeout before the window auto closes. I'd like the ability to set it to 1 second, instead of 5, so it closes almost instantly after its done updating.

- ijourneaux - 2009-06-10

Got the updater working the way it was designed. I was running daily updates but I did notice a issue with my configuration. and I changed it to weekly updates.

I am using XBMC as a media center front end to BeyondTV. I launch BeyondTV using launcher. Launcher puts XBMC in the background and launches BeyondTV in the foreground. In the updater runs when BeyondTV is in the foreground, XBMX comes up in a window instead of full screen or minimized.

It isn't the biggest deal but thought I would mention it.

Take Care

- Livin - 2009-06-10

3 feature suggestions...

1. Log to the Windows Event Log... at least the start and stop times.
  2. The built-in scheduler working.
  3. Skin updater.