Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=48517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

- zag - 2009-06-10

I don't mind building and uploading the Aeon Auriga theme regularly if you could integrate it into the updater.

All it needs to be done is unzip it to the themes directory and overwrite the old files.

- Livin - 2009-06-10

zag2me Wrote:I don't mind building and uploading the Aeon Auriga theme regularly if you could integrate it into the updater.

All it needs to be done is unzip it to the themes directory and overwrite the old files.

no need to "build' since you can DL the latest from Github in ZIP format.

- computerquip - 2009-06-11

Since it's open-source, I believe I'm going to make this cross-platform.

What's the inside like anyways? *peeks..*

I'm not sure if I should just convert the current capability to a cross-platform able application or if I should make two separate applications.

- computerquip - 2009-06-11

Sorry for multi-post. I apparently went back without noticing and posted twice.

If you would, could I get a brief explanation on exactly what this application does on the inside? I'm not too sharp in C# (har har) and instead of struggling through it, I think I'll try and create a separate application using the language I'm most comfortable in that simulates what this does. In this case, I'll be able to recreate it completely using cross-platform methods.

EDIT 2: I get an error with the latest release concerning the font. Since I can't picture myself being the only one, here's a separate build of mine that changes the font to a GenericSanSerif: http://www.mediafire.com/?ziofnzmdrow

For the original developers, it simply says that "Font 'Tahoma' does not support style 'Regular'. Please notify developers". After a bit of trouble shooting, I gave up and changed it myself.

Enjoy.

- CrashX - 2009-06-17

Evanrich Wrote:Any chance of getting this on linux? I absolutely love it for my windows install, but I'm about to put together a Zotac Ion based mini HTPC, and so I have to use the linux builds to get hardware acceleration. I'm thinking of using the live CD since it's the closest to a true HTPC, but I know zilch about Linux, so not sure how I'd easily get updates.

You have two choices in do this in Linux to update automatically to latest xbmc.

1) Tops script which updates to latest official release
2) Update script I wrote that updates to the latest svn release ..

Both are mentioned here .. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49502

- kay.one - 2009-06-17

computerquip Wrote:Sorry for multi-post. I apparently went back without noticing and posted twice.

If you would, could I get a brief explanation on exactly what this application does on the inside? I'm not too sharp in C# (har har) and instead of struggling through it, I think I'll try and create a separate application using the language I'm most comfortable in that simulates what this does. In this case, I'll be able to recreate it completely using cross-platform methods.

EDIT 2: I get an error with the latest release concerning the font. Since I can't picture myself being the only one, here's a separate build of mine that changes the font to a GenericSanSerif: http://www.mediafire.com/?ziofnzmdrow

For the original developers, it simply says that "Font 'Tahoma' does not support style 'Regular'. Please notify developers". After a bit of trouble shooting, I gave up and changed it myself.

Enjoy.

the fact is that this app download the windows build and installs them on windows, so even if you get the app to run on another platform the XBMC that it downloads wont!

- xexe - 2009-06-19

Feature suggestions:

Show currently installed revision and currently downloading revision for duration of entire update process. Currently the new revision number flashes up for a split second here.

Download to install later. Often i will kick of the updater when im doing maintenance tasks like updating and cleaning the library. I dont want the updater messing with the live version when these important tasks are happening but if it could grab the copy and detect that you have the latst copy cached ready on a subsequent run that would be a real time saver. This could be complimented with a option like "Cache only if XBMC is currently running"

Cache xx last versions to allow for roll back

Local rss feed showing a diff of changes from last installed version to newly installed version

- onebyside - 2009-07-02

computerquip Wrote:EDIT 2: I get an error with the latest release concerning the font. Since I can't picture myself being the only one, here's a separate build of mine that changes the font to a GenericSanSerif: http://www.mediafire.com/?ziofnzmdrow

For the original developers, it simply says that "Font 'Tahoma' does not support style 'Regular'.

thanks having same prob

Feature Request... - Livin - 2009-07-02

Have a separate "Event Log" (or log to the Windows Event Log) so that I can see only basic stuff...

Date/Time started
If an update was available, which update
Time it took to DL
Time took to install
Date/Time ended and app quit

logs currently are separate files/days, not easy just to open a single fine and see the past few days stats.

- kay.one - 2009-07-03

Thanks for the feedback,

- kay.one - 2009-07-03

computerquip Wrote:Since it's open-source, I believe I'm going to make this cross-platform.

What's the inside like anyways? *peeks..*

I'm not sure if I should just convert the current capability to a cross-platform able application or if I should make two separate applications.

if you want let me know and i can add you to the project so you can check your changes in.

- xexe - 2009-07-03

A while back there was some talk of diff based updates. Has this been proven viable in theory at least?

- Livin - 2009-07-03

xexe,
Possible, sure - but why bother? It would need to scan the SVN, find new files and then download them. If using broadband it only takes a few minutes to DL the entire package anyway. If someone cannot wait an extra 1 or 2 minutes then they really don't need to update. Plus, most people don't NEED to update - you know what I mean... we do it to help test/debug. Most updates don't have new features that will make a huge impact to normal usage.

- xexe - 2009-07-03

Livin Wrote:xexe,
Possible, sure - but why bother?

Bandwidth costs money for both the server and client and why should 10,000 user download 48MB when they "may" only need 1mB.

Is not about patience it is about efficiency, cost an scalability.

- Livin - 2009-07-03

xexe Wrote:Bandwidth costs money for both the server and client and why should 10,000 user download 48MB when they "may" only need 1mB.

Is not about patience it is about efficiency, cost an scalability.

This is probably far off topic but - I think if the guys hosting the bits were paying based on bandwidth this would have already been a priority and in the code.

I don't think we really need to discuss this here. If you have posted a feature request properly (in goggle) then they will look at it. Kay.one is all over those.