Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=48517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

- kricker - 2009-07-03

xexe Wrote:Bandwidth costs money for both the server and client and why should 10,000 user download 48MB when they "may" only need 1mB.

Is not about patience it is about efficiency, cost an scalability.
Doesn't cost us a dime more.

- xexe - 2009-07-03

lol so whats the point of this thread then if not to discussSmile

Just fyi i just got 7.53 MB/s out the zip site so it must be a time of day load problem or demand from the other sites hosted on that IP.

Also using the extremely inefficient diff method of par2 blocks as a quick and dirty test i got:

about 60% complete of XBMC-Rev21358.zip using XBMC-Rev21339.zip

and

about 20% complete of XBMC-Rev21358.zip using XBMC-Rev21248.zip

So doing diff could have saved 20-60% of all bandwidth in the last 91 SNVs (likely alot more if diff was done right).

kricker Wrote:Doesn't cost us a dime more.

Thats fair enough but it costs users. Suppose that doesnt really matter but what if increase spikes to ten of thousand users a day I suspect it wont cost any more as service will cut off.

- kricker - 2009-07-03

xexe Wrote:...Thats fair enough but it costs users. Suppose that doesnt really matter but what if increase spikes to ten of thousand users a day I suspect it wont cost any more as service will cut off.
We figured we cross that bridge when we got to it. I was told that service would not get cut off. We could gets millions of users per day, it won't matter. The only limit that may be imposed is only 50 users downloading the file at one time. We have been no where even close to that as of yet.

Kay.one is open to doing a SVN style update. But he would need some help in implementing it as last I heard. It would also be nice to trigger the update from within XBMC with a plugin or script, but no one has stepped up to help with that either.

- xexe - 2009-07-03

Appreciate your comments. It does only take one well followed article for demand to increase massively though.

I done some further quick tests and if you might be able to do this on the zip files/contents rather than right back at SVN source. It wouldnt be as efficient but even a par2 based diff could save you 50%+ between builds and has the added advanatge of CRC checking the file.

The logic would be:

Builder does a par2create "set switches" XBMC-blah.zip
Uploads all the files
Update tool grabs the small par2
Par2verify smallpar2 inserting the cached older zip and parse output for missing block count.
Update tool grabs enough blocks then does a par2repair

This might be a step too far but its actually very simple logic.

For the end user they would see a considerable install speed differece. you also would not need to compress the zip files saving you some time there as well.

Ponder it

- kricker - 2009-07-03

xexe Wrote:Appreciate your comments. It does only take one well followed article for demand to increase massively though.

I done some further quick tests and if you might be able to do this on the zip files/contents rather than right back at SVN source. It wouldnt be as efficient but even a par2 based diff could save you 50%+ between builds and has the added advanatge of CRC checking the file.

The logic would be:

Builder does a par2create "set switches" XBMC-blah.zip
Uploads all the files
Update tool grabs the small par2
Par2verify smallpar2 inserting the cached older zip and parse output for missing block count.
Update tool grabs enough blocks then does a par2repair

This might be a step too far but its actually very simple logic.

For the end user they would see a considerable install speed differece. you also would not need to compress the zip files saving you some time there as well.

Ponder it
I don't really understand the par2 stuff. Can you PM me and we can discuss this further?

- xexe - 2009-07-03

Will do.

Just for those listening in I just got 80%+ match between two builds 2 SVN apart using this method.

- kricker - 2009-07-14

For all those wanting a more efficient update method, it is coming. I had a conversation with Kay.one about it. He has some pretty cool plans on implementing a file by file comparison/update method. This means you will only need to downloaded the updated files. It will also work even if you skip many builds between updates. Kay.one is currently in the process of re-building his development PC, so just give him some time. He is definitely working on it.

- kay.one - 2009-07-14

kricker Wrote:For all those wanting a more efficient update method, it is coming. I had a conversation with Kay.one about it. He has some pretty cool plans on implementing a file by file comparison/update method. This means you will only need to downloaded the updated files. It will also work even if you skip many builds between updates. Kay.one is currently in the process of re-building his development PC, so just give him some time. He is definitely working on it.

Installed a clean build of windows 7 (RTM) yesterday. should have something fairly soon.

- Hitcher - 2009-07-15

Cool, I use this all the time for painless updating - thanks.

- kay.one - 2009-07-20

Alright, just uploaded a new build.
still doesn't have partial update, but I have done a lot of ground work for it. so it should be here in a week or so. this build should more stable all around.

btw. when the "Partial Update" feather requires .net framework 3.5. if you don't have it it will now be activated. so make sure you have it installed otherwise it will not kick in.

you can get it here: Microsoft .NET Framework Client Profile Online Installer

- shassino - 2009-07-22

UP

- fidoboy - 2009-07-22

Hi again,

I'm sorry for delay, but i've been a bit busy lately. I can't already use this app because i still get the IP not found problem. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3... anyone else is experiencing this problem?? How can i solve it?

kind regards and keep up the good work! Wink

- onebyside - 2009-07-22

"font tahoma does not support style regular"

was this ever solved

Win 7/64

- kay.one - 2009-07-23

onebyside Wrote:"font tahoma does not support style regular"

was this ever solved

Win 7/64

I haven't been able to reproduce this issue, can you please provided a copy of your log files?

- kay.one - 2009-07-23

fidoboy Wrote:Hi again,

I'm sorry for delay, but i've been a bit busy lately. I can't already use this app because i still get the IP not found problem. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3... anyone else is experiencing this problem?? How can i solve it?

kind regards and keep up the good work! Wink

can you provide a copy of your logs,

thanks,