Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=48517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

- kay.one - 2009-04-08

kricker Wrote:It's a bug. There was a progress indicator. It's not showing up for me either now.

lol, its not a bug, it was removed!Laugh

- kricker - 2009-04-08

kay.one Wrote:lol, its not a bug, it was removed!Laugh
Then I stand corrected. Is it coming back?!

- xexe - 2009-04-08

Was thinking that if you want people to stay up to date with the client (since alot of people will put this on manually once and then not touch it) its probably worth early on having some kinda of auto updater for the tool itself.

Normally i would not suggest this but I reckon alot of people only pull out the KB for their HTPC when they really have to.

- kay.one - 2009-04-09

kay.one Wrote:lol, its not a bug, it was removed!Laugh

opps!

you see, the app used to have a progress bar, i got rid of it and replaced it with a status text thingi, but i guess that broke somewhere during dev. thats why you thought its missing a progress bar, and i thought its not needed!

give it a try and let me know if its any better.

anyways its fixed now, i have uploaded a new build. with a few fixes here and there.

- kricker - 2009-04-09

Great. Progress indicator is back, URL is updated....looking good!

- Livin - 2009-04-09

nice work!

- kricker - 2009-04-09

Any script writers out there want to help with the integration of this into XBMC?

- natethomas - 2009-04-09

I have a question. If we have this set to automatically run, do we need to have XBMC shut off before running it? Or will it shut it off itself? Or is there no need to shut it off in the first place?

- kricker - 2009-04-09

natethomas Wrote:I have a question. If we have this set to automatically run, do we need to have XBMC shut off before running it? Or will it shut it off itself? Or is there no need to shut it off in the first place?
It will close XBMC if XBMC is running. And yes XBMC has to close for the update to happen, as you can't update the .exe while it is running.

- quake101 - 2009-04-09

Does XBMCUpdate know how to update itself?

- kricker - 2009-04-09

quake101 Wrote:Does XBMCUpdate know how to update itself?
Not yet, as far as I know.

- CrashX - 2009-04-09

kricker Wrote:It will close XBMC if XBMC is running. And yes XBMC has to close for the update to happen, as you can't update the .exe while it is running.

You should be able to update the exe while it is running if you do the following:

1) Rename original xbmc.exe to xbmcold.exe
2) Now copy the new exe into the xbmc folder

SmileSmile

- kricker - 2009-04-09

CrashX Wrote:You should be able to update the exe while it is running if you do the following:

1) Rename original xbmc.exe to xbmcold.exe
2) Now copy the new exe into the xbmc folder

SmileSmile
But the .exe is still running so you didn't update it while it was running, you just delayed it until the next time you run it. What's the difference?

- CrashX - 2009-04-09

Kricker:-

To avoid killing xbmc while someone is in the middle of watching a movie .. I presume that XBMC Auto Updater runs in the background and updates xbmc without any user input ..

- kricker - 2009-04-09

CrashX Wrote:Kricker:-

To avoid killing xbmc while someone is in the middle of watching a movie .. I presume that XBMC Auto Updater runs in the background and updates xbmc without any user input ..
Ahh yes I see. I never think about the scheduled update, as I don't think I'd ever run it that way. Too risky to update to a bad build and have the wife complain.