Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=48517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

- ameinild - 2010-12-19

Will this one be updated with the new release?

- kricker - 2010-12-19

This will be updated to the latest SVN. That means it will be like the release, but not from the actual release branch. The whole point of this is to play with the latest features before they hit the next release.

- ameinild - 2010-12-20

Hmm it still says latest version is 32102 and my version is unknown - that can't be right...

- kricker - 2010-12-20

That's right. I haven't had a moment to build a new one yet. Dharma only released a few days ago.

- Dilligaf - 2010-12-24

kricker Wrote:This will be updated to the latest SVN. That means it will be like the release, but not from the actual release branch. The whole point of this is to play with the latest features before they hit the next release.

Just downloaded 34645 and checked for the fix from trac 6064 supposed to be fixed in 33174 and it's not http://xbmc.org/trac/ticket/6064. Should this build have this fix included or is it from a different branch? Thanks.

Mike

- kricker - 2010-12-24

The trac says it was fixed in SVN which is where these builds come from. Check the official release.

- ameinild - 2011-01-05

Hi. I just updated using the automatic updater from 10.0 RC1. Now I get this error message when trying to start XBMC:

The program can't start because d3dx9_41.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Anybody know what went wrongHuh

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on this machine...

EDIT: I think this update just did something to my DirectX settings, which is not very pleasant. Some graphic settings in a game had suddenly changed - I don't like DirectX being messed with without an explicit warning... No

- kricker - 2011-01-05

The automatic updater downloads a zip file and extracts the contents to your XBMC folder. It does not touch your DirectX in any way.

You should start at the official release. Then if you need SVN builds for some reason you can use the automatic updater. Since the updater does not run any installers you will not get any dependencies installed.

- Shadok - 2011-01-05

ameinild Wrote:Hi. I just updated using the automatic updater from 10.0 RC1. Now I get this error message when trying to start XBMC:

The program can't start because d3dx9_41.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

EDIT: I think this update just did something to my DirectX settings, which is not very pleasant. Some graphic settings in a game had suddenly changed - I don't like DirectX being messed with without an explicit warning... No

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62133&highlight=d3dx9_41.dll

- ameinild - 2011-01-06

Ok, then maybe Windows bummed DirectX itself - however, when I reinstalled XBMC with DX9, it worked - very strange...

- feerlessleadr - 2011-01-07

ameinild Wrote:Hi. I just updated using the automatic updater from 10.0 RC1. Now I get this error message when trying to start XBMC:

Just for the record, this exact same thing happened to me. I reinstalled 10.0 and everything was dandy again, but when I ran the updater client again, the same error popped up.

I'm not sure how, but running the updater definitely borked something with the DX settings on my machine. I ran the DX distributable package from MS on the linked page and everything is hunky dory again.

- kricker - 2011-01-07

I am at a loss for how this is possible. Since the updater client does not run any installers as far as I am aware. I welcome the reports though, and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it. The last thing I want is for the SVN updates to kill a working install because of something stupid.

- Shadok - 2011-01-07

That's strange since I'm using kricker svn build for a long time and I never had this problem.
I'm using Windows Seven too.

- feerlessleadr - 2011-01-07

kricker Wrote:I am at a loss for how this is possible. Since the updater client does not run any installers as far as I am aware. I welcome the reports though, and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it. The last thing I want is for the SVN updates to kill a working install because of something stupid.

I am running the updater on another htpc in my house and didn't have this problem, so i'm kind of at a loss

- AnalogKid - 2011-01-08

kricker Wrote:I am at a loss for how this is possible. Since the updater client does not run any installers as far as I am aware. I welcome the reports though, and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it. The last thing I want is for the SVN updates to kill a working install because of something stupid.

I alluded to this issue a number of posts ago regarding not '100%' true that you can use the updater without ever having XBMC installed first.

The problem stems from the 'real' XBMC distribution bundling DirectX too... this is totally fine, since XBMC needs DirectX, BUT... if you only user the updater tool, you simply get Raw XBMC without DirectX... so the best fix is to use the original XBMC installer first, then the update tool will work correctly thereafter.

Now, I can hear many folks saying 'BUT I already have DirectX (esp win 7 users)'.... it's complicated, but basically you need to install support for older versions of DirectX... so just use the original installer.

If you're very Windows Savvy, you can simply grab the missing DX dll's from another PC (or some 'source') and drop into into the XBMC folder (side by side with xbmc.exe).