Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=48517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

- feerlessleadr - 2011-01-08

AnalogKid Wrote:I alluded to this issue a number of posts ago regarding not '100%' true that you can use the updater without ever having XBMC installed first.

The problem stems from the 'real' XBMC distribution bundling DirectX too... this is totally fine, since XBMC needs DirectX, BUT... if you only user the updater tool, you simply get Raw XBMC without DirectX... so the best fix is to use the original XBMC installer first, then the update tool will work correctly thereafter.

Now, I can hear many folks saying 'BUT I already have DirectX (esp win 7 users)'.... it's complicated, but basically you need to install support for older versions of DirectX... so just use the original installer.

If you're very Windows Savvy, you can simply grab the missing DX dll's from another PC (or some 'source') and drop into into the XBMC folder (side by side with xbmc.exe).

not to be a pain, but that wasn't the case for me. I had originally installed 10.0 on the PC in question and had never previously used the updater.

With my problem i had used the xbmc installer first (and xbmc worked fine), and then used the updater which is when I got the error. When i reinstalled 10.0 with the installer, xbmc worked again. Then when i used the updater again, I got the same error again.

The only way I would stop getting the error was installing the dx redistributable from Microsoft after i used the updater.

- kricker - 2011-01-08

That is how I understood it. Maybe Kay.One will chime in with possibilities why it may be doing it.

- feerlessleadr - 2011-01-08

kricker Wrote:That is how I understood it. Maybe Kay.One will chime in with possibilities why it may be doing it.

the only difference between my 2 htpcs is that on the htpc that the installed worked no problem, I had already installed the dx redistributable a while ago when I first started using the updater client (pre 9.11).

On the htpc where I was getting the error I had only ever used the xbmc installer. Maybe the xbmc installer uses a custom install of dx that other iterations of xbmc or other programs can't see/use?

- AnalogKid - 2011-01-09

feerlessleadr Wrote:the only difference between my 2 htpcs is that on the htpc that the installed worked no problem, I had already installed the dx redistributable a while ago when I first started using the updater client (pre 9.11).

On the htpc where I was getting the error I had only ever used the xbmc installer. Maybe the xbmc installer uses a custom install of dx that other iterations of xbmc or other programs can't see/use?

Yeah, sounds very plausible.
I've not used the update tool for a while (although I love it), simple because it's been on hold pre-dharma.

As far as I'm aware, it's simply a zip of the xbmc executables and required data that are ALL decompressed on top of XBMC (no system folders). Assuming this to be true, there's either a dodgy dx file in there, or some configuration file related to dx.

On a side note, the tool still has GL and DX configuration / download options. I'm assuming DX only DX is supported now, and what's the DL url for the DX builds? (so I can download a zip and take a look)

- feerlessleadr - 2011-01-09

AnalogKid Wrote:Yeah, sounds very plausible.
I've not used the update tool for a while (although I love it), simple because it's been on hold pre-dharma.

As far as I'm aware, it's simply a zip of the xbmc executables and required data that are ALL decompressed on top of XBMC (no system folders). Assuming this to be true, there's either a dodgy dx file in there, or some configuration file related to dx.

On a side note, the tool still has GL and DX configuration / download options. I'm assuming DX only DX is supported now, and what's the DL url for the DX builds? (so I can download a zip and take a look)

i believe this is the url used by the update client

http://xbmc.shadowprojects.net/dx/

- Shadok - 2011-01-17

feerlessleadr Wrote:i believe this is the url used by the update client

http://xbmc.shadowprojects.net/dx/

Yep, that's definitely it.
Last build on the january 5th.

- kricker - 2011-01-17

Analogkid, let me know if you find something. As soon as the version numbering gets figured out I can start building more regular again. If it will take a while I can build and maybe version by date. I know how the updated looks for new versions so I can manually name them they just won't have a proper version number listed inside the GUI.

- Shadok - 2011-03-18

Any new build planned ? Smile

- kricker - 2011-03-19

I'm waiting to hear back from KayOne about the app using dates to determine which is the newest build. Right now GIT does not supply sequential versioning.

- Shadok - 2011-03-19

I'm not sure I understand.
The app is using date from the build zip files you store on my server, right ?
What's does it have to do with git ?

- kricker - 2011-03-19

I make a build and a revision number is assigned to it and added to the file name. With SVN, those numbers inceased sequentialy with new builds. The updater app uses that revision number to see if a newer version is available. It didn't use the date.

Now that XBMC uses GIT, the version numbers are hashes. GIT doesn't use sequential number versioning system. Look at the official nightlies. You'll see what I mean.

- Shadok - 2011-03-19

Indeed. That's quite an issue.
So the updater might need to be patched to work with dates.

- kricker - 2011-03-19

I could change it so I number using dates. Such as:
XBMC-YYYYMMDD-Revxxxxxx.zip

Maybe the updater could use that as is. Everyone using the app would have to delete the update.xml file the first time.

- Shadok - 2011-03-19

Well, another way would be to change the name used for the xml file Smile

- kricker - 2011-03-20

No. The Updater Client connects to the ftp and parses the file names. It looks for the sequentially highest number. It then compares that to the number in the update.xml in the XBMC folder to see if the number is higher. You only have the update.xml file if you have run the Updater Client in the past and it installed a build. Your last build you installed with the Updater Client is listed in that update.xml file.

To start fresh with a new numbering system it is easiest to just kill the update.xml file.