Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=48517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

- kay.one - 2009-04-10

xexe Wrote:Can i re suggest this as a short term means to help.

what if by the time that you got around to install the downloaded build, there is new build available online?

these are all the questions that need answers.

we have a 4 day long weekend here in Canada, so two of the main features that i'm gonna be working on are, automatic update of the client itself.

and after I'm done with that, targeted download. so only updated files will be downloaded instead of all 50MB. I'm guessing you could get away with only few MB if only updated files are downloaded.

so probably after the targeted download is done you wont need the download now install latter, since you can just download the few files you need when you are ready for install.

- xexe - 2009-04-10

I didnt even think targeted download was possible. That obviously changes everything !

Can you add an option to start XBMC on a successful install. It saves a couple button clicks for the end user.

Also it potentially makes it possible to easily add a quick "get XBMC to update itself". Could we add a new item to the shutdown menu that as the last thing it does run the update tool? Im not sure how XBMC handles self shutdown but if this was possible these two features would essentially give you an "update XBMC within XBMC button"

- kay.one - 2009-04-10

xexe Wrote:I didnt even think targeted download was possible. That obviously changes everything !

Can you add an option to start XBMC on a successful install. It saves a couple button clicks for the end user.

Also it potentially makes it possible to easily add a quick "get XBMC to update itself". Could we add a new item to the shutdown menu that as the last thing it does run the update tool? Im not sure how XBMC handles self shutdown but if this was possible these two features would essentially give you an "update XBMC within XBMC button"

its getting hard to keep track of all the requests, can you please add them to Google Code, that way i won't miss anything and others can vote and add comments.

please use this form to submit a request
http://code.google.com/p/xbmcupdate/issues/entry?template=Feature%20Request

- xexe - 2009-04-10

No problems. Just yet another thing to sign up for Sad

- kay.one - 2009-04-10

xexe Wrote:No problems. Just yet another thing to sign up for Sad

you don't need to signup, you can use your google account.

- lestat1977uk - 2009-04-10

Awesome app, thx so much

- bigcheda - 2009-04-10

wow...nifty little app here. awesome, keep up the good work!

- SickIcarus - 2009-04-11

kay.one Wrote:its getting hard to keep track of all the requests, can you please add them to Google Code, that way i won't miss anything and others can vote and add comments.

please use this form to submit a request
http://code.google.com/p/xbmcupdate/issues/entry?template=Feature%20Request

i just submitted a number of feature requests for ya :-)

killer app! thanks a ton!

- F-Wolf - 2009-04-11

http://xbmcupdate.googlecode.com/ isn't working for me at all, does anyone have a mirror link?

- kay.one - 2009-04-11

F-Wolf Wrote:http://xbmcupdate.googlecode.com/ isn't working for me at all, does anyone have a mirror link?

i don't know whats wrong with the site,

you can download the current version from

xbmcupdate.codeplex.com

google code seems to be completely down!

- demlak - 2009-04-11

and up again...

- retrieverfalcon - 2009-04-11

Added some thoughts to issue 3 on the GoogleCode site. If you add auto-restart, just make sure to verify whether the original version of XBMC that was running was using the -p option. I think this could probably be set in a configuration files since most users will either be using portable or default installations.

- SickIcarus - 2009-04-11

retrieverfalcon Wrote:Added some thoughts to issue 3 on the GoogleCode site. If you add auto-restart, just make sure to verify whether the original version of XBMC that was running was using the -p option. I think this could probably be set in a configuration files since most users will either be using portable or default installations.

i just replied to your reply - you had a great idea!

to add to it:
i don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but if it could be done maybe it
would be possible to auto-detect the presence of the -p switch?

maybe have the updater check for the presence of one of the subfolders of the
userdata folder in the xbmc installation path.

for instance, when you first launch the updater, you have to point it to your xbmc
installation folder - mine is "X:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC"
if the -p flag is not set, my userdata information resides in "C:\Users\Media
Center\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata"
as such, a userdata folder exists in the main installation path - "X:\Program Files
(x86)\XBMC\userdata" - but since all the information is stored in appdata\roaming,
the userdata folder within the xbmc installation path does not include subfolders
such as cache, scripts, plugins, etc.
so if the updater checks the installation path's userdata folder and does not see
those subfolders, it knows the -p flag is not set. if it does see those fodlers, it
knows -p is set.

- kay.one - 2009-04-11

SickIcarus Wrote:i just replied to your reply - you had a great idea!

to add to it:
i don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but if it could be done maybe it
would be possible to auto-detect the presence of the -p switch?

maybe have the updater check for the presence of one of the subfolders of the
userdata folder in the xbmc installation path.

for instance, when you first launch the updater, you have to point it to your xbmc
installation folder - mine is "X:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC"
if the -p flag is not set, my userdata information resides in "C:\Users\Media
Center\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata"
as such, a userdata folder exists in the main installation path - "X:\Program Files
(x86)\XBMC\userdata" - but since all the information is stored in appdata\roaming,
the userdata folder within the xbmc installation path does not include subfolders
such as cache, scripts, plugins, etc.
so if the updater checks the installation path's userdata folder and does not see
those subfolders, it knows the -p flag is not set. if it does see those fodlers, it
knows -p is set.

This is what i was thinking, xbmcupdate could look through your start menu, desktop and quick launch to see if it can find a shortcut for XBMC and use whatever parameter is being used in that shortcut.

another benefit that this provides is i could use that data to detect the installation path in the first place.

- kricker - 2009-04-12

Scanning the folders may not work as someone could have been using the -p mode then changed or vice versa. Then both userdata folders will be populated. It might be simpler to just add it as a setting in the app.