Kodi Community Forum
Where are new people coming from? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Where are new people coming from? (/showthread.php?tid=48549)

Pages: 1 2

Where are new people coming from? - natethomas - 2009-04-08

I've noticed a LOT of new people asking questions on the forum lately. I was noticing that in March, but the number seems to have escalated from that time.

I'm just curious if this is some kind of "engadget effect" or if word of mouth is that strong. Thus, the question I present: Who are all of you newbies, and what brought you this way?

Also, lest it slip my mind, welcome!

- smcnally75 - 2009-04-08

LifeHacker.com recently did an article showing off the news skins. I'm willing to bet that's where a lot of it came from.

- Anjow - 2009-04-08

I had been using Boxee for a little while but didn't really like it. I didn't even realise that XBMC existed for any platform other than XBox until the other day when a guy mentioned it in an IRC channel. So that's why I'm new.

- bramblepants - 2009-04-08

Personally, I've been using VMC and MyMovies for years, but did try out XBMC about a year ago and found the whole setup a real pain...I also didn't really like the skins which were on offer, but saw a few screenshots of STARK and knew that I would like it...

...i set a reminder in my Outlook at work telling me when it was released, then downloaded on the day and migrated from VMC and MyMovies over to XBMC. Really loving it, but still getting to grips with how it all works...as to is the girlfriend!

I would have happily stayed with MyMovies if v3 had been released on time, but it's over a year late and I'm tired of waiting, especially when XBMC has more to offer....

- carvegio - 2009-04-08

Have been using XBMC on the XBOX for years now but got fed up it could not handle hd vids so built a HTPC a few weeks ago and here I am Smile

- benkrishman - 2009-04-08

I had been using VLC for a while on my htpc and it worked decently, but I ran into some problems with mkv playback and began looking for other good players and XBMC came up in a google search. Downloaded and installed and I've never looked back, the media library and interface in general are fantastic, now anyone that comes over can pick out shows with ease. With vlc people could do it if they knew where to look for files, but xbmc is so intuitive that all of my friends have just grabbed the mouse and been able to navigate all of our media with ease.

- RazorFR - 2009-04-08

Was using Media Portal for a while till I realized I spent more time getting this think to work than enjoying my media. One day someone posted the screens for Mediastream on MP forum. It looked very clean. I gave xbmc a try since I was not using the Tv module anyway, and here I am.

- stoli - 2009-04-08

natethomas Wrote:I'm just curious if this is some kind of "engadget effect" or if word of mouth is that strong. Thus, the question I present: Who are all of you newbies, and what brought you this way?

There was also just a writeup on theiphoneblog.com about the XBMC Streamer app for the iPhone. With that I am sure there are a lot of other iPhone sites that mention new releases to the iTunes store.

A quick check of google news shows quite a few recent articles that at least mention XBMC.

-stoli-

- quebert - 2009-04-08

I've been here for awhile now, not sure when or how exactly I discovered XBMC, but I'm sure it was from an article. I was one of those idiots who heard "Xbox Media Center" and just assumed it was for... Xboxes lol. Will the name ever change? Seeing how it's on every OS there is just about I would think a name that wouldn't make people think Xbox would be better. I know that's where it all started but times have changed.

- Only One Haze - 2009-04-08

been using XBMC on the XBOX for like 5-6 years now. Just makin the switch to PC.

- althekiller - 2009-04-08

quebert Wrote:I've been here for awhile now, not sure when or how exactly I discovered XBMC, but I'm sure it was from an article. I was one of those idiots who heard "Xbox Media Center" and just assumed it was for... Xboxes lol. Will the name ever change? Seeing how it's on every OS there is just about I would think a name that wouldn't make people think Xbox would be better. I know that's where it all started but times have changed.

It's been "XBMC Media Center" for over a year now. The idiots who write those articles just don't do their research.

- Splat - 2009-04-08

I found XBMC via google. I was looking for a user friendly way to play .iso image files. Was trying to get rid of the DVD binders of scratched up discs. Had an old xbox the kids don't use anymore, a few online purchases, a few tutorials and I'm very happy with the outcome.

Next step is a quieter fan though Nod

The windows version now runs on my laptop when I'm working away from home.

- tcman47 - 2009-04-08

I saw xbmc being compared to windows media center somewhere on the web and thought xbmc looks great and it's free. Tried it and I will never use anything else.

Great Stuff.... Big Grin

- abba77 - 2009-04-08

i learned about this when someone posted about the upcoming aeon stark skin on a bmw lounge forum.

was using nothing before this. just folder and double click video files.

- rwparris2 - 2009-04-08

quebert Wrote:I've been here for awhile now, not sure when or how exactly I discovered XBMC, but I'm sure it was from an article. I was one of those idiots who heard "Xbox Media Center" and just assumed it was for... Xboxes lol. Will the name ever change? Seeing how it's on every OS there is just about I would think a name that wouldn't make people think Xbox would be better. I know that's where it all started but times have changed.

althekiller Wrote:It's been "XBMC Media Center" for over a year now. The idiots who write those articles just don't do their research.

If the name was changed to "Exblazario, Media Center Extraordinaire" the bloggers would still refer to it as "Exblazario (formally Xbox Media Center)" and we everyone would still be just as confused.