Kodi Community Forum
AppleTV Playback framerate issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: AppleTV Playback framerate issues (/showthread.php?tid=49046)

Pages: 1 2

AppleTV Playback framerate issues - Wraith88 - 2009-04-16

I have the newest version or XBMC babylon installed fine on my appletv, but im having very subpar video speed. I have it connected to a DNS-231 NAS over a wired CAT5 network through my router. AVi files encoded in Xvid @ 480p play very smooth. However 720p MP4 and MKV files encoded with h.264 (Movie/TV scene rips, and assorted dvd rips) lag, probably running at 13fps. I can post exact bitrates and info on the video files if anyone needs them. I can play the files on any computer wirelessly with a mounted samba share as a mapped drive. So i think the problem is clearly the appletv not my network. I am pretty sure that the appletv is supposed to be able to play a lot higher quality power than its currently choking on.
So my question is this, should i try to wipe my atv of all the other garbage, and try a clean install, or can i mount my nas as a mapped drive on an atv or is the problem the upnp protocol im trying to connect to?
Thanks guys

- Krieg - 2009-04-16

XBMC does not use the GPU, your files are maybe too heavy.

- garyi - 2009-04-16

Apple TV is simply not meaty enough for 720, none of mine play anything worth watching. Except its limitations its 200 quid.

- Wraith88 - 2009-04-16

ATV supports 720p H.264 up to 5 Mbps. My stuff is encoded at most, 3 Mbps. Il get some more advanced codec info when i get home. And im pretty sure one of the newest releases actually does support GPU acceleration for ATV. Anyway, does has anyone else play 720p H.264 files?
Sorry gari your post hit before me. So this is what i feared. I guess ill sell it and wait till i finish builinding my htpc. A 3.2 Ghz AMD X2 should be fine.

- S80_UK - 2009-04-16

Krieg Wrote:XBMC does not use the GPU, your files are maybe too heavy.
Absolutely.

Wraith88 Wrote:ATV supports 720p H.264 up to 5 Mbps.
Yes - but not in XBMC. The Apple software can do that because they have software to drive the GPU. XBMC does not.

- strider - 2009-04-16

Wraith88 Wrote:And im pretty sure one of the newest releases actually does support GPU acceleration for ATV

That is if you run XBMC in Linux.

I also have an ATV, 720p scene releases is just to heavy for it...from my own experience.

- Wraith88 - 2009-04-16

Makes sense. I thought i saw that ATV supported GPU acc. So only windows and linux support it. Must have misread at some point.
So i guess the question is, are there any future plans for gpu acceleration on the mac/atv branch of xbmc?

- Krieg - 2009-04-17

Wraith88 Wrote:Makes sense. I thought i saw that ATV supported GPU acc. So only windows and linux support it. Must have misread at some point.
So i guess the question is, are there any future plans for gpu acceleration on the mac/atv branch of xbmc?

It will happen just after Apple releases information about how to do that. Or a miracle can happen and a super hacker can find a way, but it is very unlikely.

- davilla - 2009-04-17

davilla is a super hacker Smile

- Wraith88 - 2009-04-17

nice. I took Java and C++ 101. Together we can take over the world then.

- goatcow - 2009-04-19

Anyone make progress on gpu accelleration?

- Wraith88 - 2009-04-19

/\/\
Thats what i want to know

- davilla - 2009-04-19

nothing is going to happen until after 9.04 release. until then it would help to concentrate on fixing issues with 9.04.alpha1 first.

- Wraith88 - 2009-04-19

k. I was just interested in a gernral time frame. A few months?

- davilla - 2009-04-19

Wraith88 Wrote:k. I was just interested in a gernral time frame. A few months?

sorry, I don't give time frames on adding new features because there's no way to estimate the amount of time required nor estimate how much time I have to do such development.