Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability? (/showthread.php?tid=49963)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- burgemaster - 2009-07-01

drbig Wrote:Got my self a remote from maplin in the uk Click Here for Details and that works out of the box.

Thanks for this, if it works well I will buy one tmrw, my current windows Media remote, only a few buttons works (left,right up down, etc), and sometime even more annoyingly turns into a mouse pointer !
(its a SPEEDLINK SL-6399 Media Centre Remote Control)

I have XBMC Live installed to the Hard drive and its all working really well, just the remote to sort now.

Can you confirm that everything on the remote works? like power/tab info etc?

Pete is this your remote?

Does it also do everything?

ALSO: just noticed that the menu sounds arent working? do your revos have sound in the menu Smile

Thanks everyone for the help

- cucukozma - 2009-07-08

Hi,

I really need some help from you guys. I have a Revo 160gb Vista version from a few days ago. I already reed all the post and I installed on a external 1.8 inches hard drive the Ubuntu 2.26.1, build 05/06/2009. Was my first time linux experience.
After that I uninstalled the nvidia 180 drivers and installed the 185.18.14 nvidia drivers and the XBMC Jaunty.
I flashed my bios with the new one and I enabled the 512Mb for video card from bios. Also I solved the sound to HDMI situation.

After doing all of this I have a problem regarding the playback of the mkv files, 1080p. For the 720p mkv files the problem still persist less but...

The fps in XBMC it this almost all the time 24 fps. The cpu load it is no more then 20% for 1080p and no more then 10% 720p. Everything looks good until now but the playback it is most of the time like in slow motion, also I have dropped frames and goes more when I use fast forward. I can see a movie, the sound it is sync with the video, but it is very frustanting because, after all I saw hear the playback should be very great. I played movies from other external hard drive with USB and eSATA connection, from the inside harde drive and also from the external 1.8 inches hard drive and it is evreytime the same problem.

I think that I have the same problem like drefas and erhnam on their comment from page 9 but look like they solved their issue with the 512Mb allocated manual for GPU in bios.

I saw something about vsync not being enabled on motd2k comment from page 3, I found something about vsync in the nvidia X tool and I dont know if it is the the places where I should change this option.

Any ideas to help me, please? Take note that I`m using linux first time and you need to be more patient with me. Smile

- gabgab78 - 2009-07-11

Hannes The Hun Wrote:when you have optical in on your receiver, you can go directly from the USB audio plug, else you use an ebay adapter. all of these cheapo plugs use more or less the same chips (i.e. VIA, c-media etc.) which should be fully supported by ALSA.
so yes, you stick this audio usb plug in your revo, ALSA/XBMC will detect it, you select digital audio, and that's it. never understood why acer didn't include an SPDIF into the revo anyways....

Hi, I am planning to get a revo however I am concerned how to connect its audio to my receiver which has only coax and optical digital (SPDIF) inputs (and analog ones of course).
I am bit confused about what you said here, so can you please detail a bit more what you mean when you say "when you have optical in on your receiver, you can go directly from the USB audio plug"? :confused2:
There is no HDMI input on my receiver so I will need to find a way how I can get the digital signal to it using either the optical or coaxial inputs... Confused
Any ideas are appreciated.

USB SPDIF Sound - typhoe - 2009-07-12

gabgab78 Wrote:Hi, I am planning to get a revo however I am concerned how to connect its audio to my receiver which has only coax and optical digital (SPDIF) inputs (and analog ones of course).
I am bit confused about what you said here, so can you please detail a bit more what you mean when you say "when you have optical in on your receiver, you can go directly from the USB audio plug"? :confused2:
There is no HDMI input on my receiver so I will need to find a way how I can get the digital signal to it using either the optical or coaxial inputs... Confused
Any ideas are appreciated.

Hi,

I had the same problem as you. My AV Receiver is not HDMI capable so I order a usb to spdif converter like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330338005136

When pluged in the Revo, it gives a new audio card (with only spdif capability):
lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 09ef:0101 Xitel MD-Port DG2 MiniDisc Interface
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: DG2 [MD-PORT DG2], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1

To use it, that was a little bit tricky for me. I eventually found the solution by directly changing the default card in the alsa conf.
In /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
Change :
defaults.ctl.card 0
defaults.pcm.card 0
To :
defaults.ctl.card DG2
defaults.pcm.card DG2
I could have use 1 in place of DG2 (which is the alias for my usb card, but like this, if the number changes, it still works)

In XBMC, I let the default/iec958 option and just enabled digital output (and DTS/Dolby Digital of course).

That works perfectly for now (meaning till I have enough to buy a HDMI AV Receiver Wink )

The only drawback I now have with the Revo is subtitle display that doesn't always work with VDPAU (although it then works with auto, but the atom can't then decode the video Sad).

Regards,
Typhoe

- gabgab78 - 2009-07-12

thanks for the response typhoe.

I tried to check the link, unfortunately the item is not available anymore. I was looking the one below as well, do you think this will do the job too?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230352856961

regarding to the subtitles have you tried another xbmc build?

- typhoe - 2009-07-12

Not sure.

In the item description, there's:
Only R L channel PCM audio in 5.1 channel can be conveyed in digital playback mode

Does that mean that you'll only get 2.0 in spdif outputHuh?
You should ask the vendor to be sur...

I'm actually only using a XBMC Live usb key. I'm planning to install it on the hard drive and use the svn ppa version as soon as possible.

Regards,
typhoe

- gabgab78 - 2009-07-13

actually there is an alternative to the revo.

It's called ASrock ION 330. It has built in TOSLINK connector.

This case I don't need to worry about getting a sub to spdif converter...

Where are US buyers getting Revo's? - jimbosis - 2009-07-15

Curious where (if anywhere) North American buyers are finding Revo's, the cheap ones (1GB/SSD) that is. Went through Froogle.co.uk and nobody pricing the Revo under 200 pounds seemed to have one in stock. Lots of them available at +/- 350 but out of stock on all the inexpensive ones.

Electronic Megastore, who pops up on the US Froogle @ 269, seem sketchy as hell (no reply back on 24 hr re: whether units are in stock and only takes bank transfers).

One seller on Ebay has them starting at 335 USD Buy it Now including shipping from Taiwan. Considering the sold out units in UK start at 135 before VAT, that's a decent markup he's making. (Pound = 1.65 USD... 135# = 226USD).

Would be quite happy to buy one myself from Taiwan if I in fact knew Mandarin.

Any suggestions?

- motd2k - 2009-07-15

got mine last week from simplyacer, they had 20+ in stock then, they all seem to have gone.

The SSD model is discontinued, it now has a 160GB harddrive.

- erhnam - 2009-07-21

I have a question about my Revo. I use my Revo together with my Onkyo 507 receiver. Whenever I reboot my Revo with the Onkyo switched off, I'm no longer able to pick-up the hdmi signal when switching the Onkyo on. Is there a solution for this? Like always sending a signal to HDMI, even when there's no tv or receiver connected or on?

- sparkyhall - 2009-07-21

Adding the following line in the screen section of your xorg.conf file.

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"

This should force output via your HDMI port.

- erhnam - 2009-07-21

sparkyhall Wrote:Adding the following line in the screen section of your xorg.conf file.

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"

This should force output via your HDMI port.

Almost. I added a line with:

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"

This did the trick! Another question. As I described I had a black screen when the TV was switched off before X was started. With this line added the signal is there but the resolution is 640x480. Any idea how I configure X to have default 1080p@60hz?

- JUICESIX90 - 2009-07-21

erhnam Wrote:Almost. I added a line with:

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"

This did the trick! Another question. As I described I had a black screen when the TV was switched off before X was started. With this line added the signal is there but the resolution is 640x480. Any idea how I configure X to have default 1080p@60hz?

Thanks! I thought my Revo had an issue with it. Mines also going through an Onkyo amp.

Gonna add that code later Wink

- sparkyhall - 2009-07-21

@erhnam that's because there is no edid information to read so X does not now what resolutions your TV can support so it plays safe and sets it to 640x480. The way I solved this was to save a copy of the edid info as a file in xbmc home directory and then I use the file instead by adding the following option to xorg.conf.

Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/home/xbmc/youredid.bin"

I saved a copy of my edid running the nvidia-settings app while logged in via ssh.

- MrDVD - 2009-07-21

With fixed modlines inside the xorg.conf it didnt work ?