Kodi Community Forum
How can i switch to 1980x1080@24Hz - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How can i switch to 1980x1080@24Hz (/showthread.php?tid=50574)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- dannybullit - 2009-05-20

cejstrup Wrote:Yes,you should be able to use my modeline without making changes. Your pixelclock is probably close if not the same as on my gfx card.

Try it out and see how it goes. Remember to use the whole section to make sure EDID is disabled is case your TV is lying about it's abilities like mine Smile

I´ll try Smile

Is xbmc able to switch between 50/60 Hz depending if it´s pal/ntsc with one fixed modeline?

boba23 Wrote:Eh? I have no clue where you got that info from?

PAL Standard = 25 FPS / 50 hz refresh rate

NTSC Standard = 30 FPS (or to be more exact 29.97) / 60 hz refresh rate

24hz Output from XBMC for 24p material is what you want. Then your TV must support 24p playback, meaning it must be able to do 2:2 or 3:3 pulldown thus converting the 24 hz signal to 48 or 72 hz, since displaying native 24hz would suck big time :-) That's what 24p means in your TVs specs, it can handle 24p input and convert it to 48 or 72hz for proper display on your TV set.
EndSection

Thanks for the lession Smile

Basically I should be ok with the default xorg.cong that comes with 9.04?!
Perhaps I need to add Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"

I´ll start a new thread for my issue with getting only 1080i instead of 1080p

/D

- User 29008 - 2009-05-20

dannybullit Wrote:I´ll try Smile

Is xbmc able to switch between 50/60 Hz depending if it´s pal/ntsc with one fixed modeline?

Actually it should it switches between 50hz PAL and 24p for me just fine. Can't tell about 60hz since I don't have native NTSC material here ....

boba

boba23 Wrote:Actually it should it switches between 50hz PAL and 24p for me just fine. Can't tell about 60hz since I don't have native NTSC material here ....

boba
It switches fine fore me too, but the output is always 1080i Sad

cejstrup Wrote:IMPORTANT: I've had several issues with nvidia drivers and/or xbmc version. So this is my tested and verified combination what works without issues for me:

* xbmc live 9.04
* nvifia drivers 180.44

Your TV will not be able to do 24p ,look at your vertical refresh it's 59-86. So it's similar to my TV which means you can get 1080p@60.

Try my xorg.conf with the above combination of xbmc live and nvidia driver.Your TV has the same data as mine,so can't see why it shouldn't work out.Use the whole section from my conf file :

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "panasonic"
ModelName "Generated by Another Modeline Calculator"
HorizSync 31-69
VertRefresh 59-86
DisplaySize 929 523 # Aspect ratio 1.778:1
# Custom modes
Modeline "1920x1080" 148.5 1920 1980 2028 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125
EndSection # panasonic

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6200]"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
Option "Composite" "False"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6200]"
Option "TVStandard" "HD1080p"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
Option "UseEdid" "False"
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
Option "ModeValidation" "AllowNon60HzDFPModes, NoEdidModes, NoEdidDFPMaxSizeCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck,NoMaxSizeCheck,
NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
Monitor "panasonic"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080"
EndSubSection
EndSection

I´ve got 1080p! Smile

But using your modeline the output won´t fit the screen.

Is it the displaysize I should adjust?

Br, Daniel

- cejstrup - 2009-05-21

glad to hear that Smile

There is a bit of overscan yes. Just adjust the screen inside xbmc,this is what I do. Works fine. Smile

- dannybullit - 2009-05-23

cejstrup Wrote:glad to hear that Smile

There is a bit of overscan yes. Just adjust the screen inside xbmc,this is what I do. Works fine. Smile

I will try to get 1080p without using a modeline, I don´t want the overscan.

Do you know which edid options I can use to achieve this, without using a modeline?

using the default xorg.conf, xbmc can switch between 24 and 50/60 Hz, this does not work when using modeline.

Br, Daniel

- cejstrup - 2009-05-24

No idea. As I said before if I use EDID my TV doesn't report 1080p capability because the EDID isn't properly updated/or linux doesn't read it correctly.

I don't think you can avoid overscan to be honest. And it doesn't matter ,just fine tune inside XBMC takes a couple of seconds and you're good to go Smile

I only run the 60Hz modeline and I can play 24p and 50Hz content without problems.No stutter.Smooth playback Smile That's why I haven't bothered to try to make a 50Hz modeline (my TV can't do 24p).

- soder - 2009-05-26

boba23 Wrote:Eh? I have no clue where you got that info from?

PAL Standard = 25 FPS / 50 hz refresh rate

NTSC Standard = 30 FPS (or to be more exact 29.97) / 60 hz refresh rate

24hz Output from XBMC for 24p material is what you want. Then your TV must support 24p playback, meaning it must be able to do 2:2 or 3:3 pulldown thus converting the 24 hz signal to 48 or 72 hz, since displaying native 24hz would suck big time :-) That's what 24p means in your TVs specs, it can handle 24p input and convert it to 48 or 72hz for proper display on your TV set.

I have no clue why you get a interlaced signal. I wouldn't even know how to get 1080i out to my Panasonic right now, besides manually selecting it in XBMC settings. With my standard settings, output is always 1080p and that's what my TV shows me when pressing the Info key on its remote.

hehe, yea that's what you need.

No I didn't edit anything regarding frequency or modeline, here's my current xorg.conf:

-----------
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder57) Thu Apr 16 17:18:41 PDT 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
# Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerLevel=0x3"
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "UseEvents" "True"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "False"
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Option "DPI" "100 x 100"
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

But if native 24 fps would suck, how do you get XBMC to play 24 fps-movies in 48 fps or 72 fps?

I can choose the Hz I've in my nvidia settings, OR I can choose to have XBMC to change the Hz to the fps the movie use?

/Söder

- User 29008 - 2009-05-26

soder Wrote:But if native 24 fps would suck, how do you get XBMC to play 24 fps-movies in 48 fps or 72 fps?

I can choose the Hz I've in my nvidia settings, OR I can choose to have XBMC to change the Hz to the fps the movie use?

/Söder

AFAIK players, e.g. BluRay or here XBMC would ouput 24p as 24hz signal to the TV set, and then, as mentioned above, a TV Set with 24p support (Pulldown etc.) converts the signal to 48 or 72hz. It's not XBMC that is supposed to do that conversion.

boba

- soder - 2009-05-26

boba23 Wrote:AFAIK players, e.g. BluRay or here XBMC would ouput 24p as 24hz signal to the TV set, and then, as mentioned above, a TV Set with 24p support (Pulldown etc.) converts the signal to 48 or 72hz. It's not XBMC that is supposed to do that conversion.

boba

Ok. So that should be done automatic if the TV get 24 hz via HDMI?

My TV can only show 50 Hz or 60 Hz in 720p, and 24 Hz, 50 Hz or 60 Hz in 1080p. It says it support real 24p and I guess that is what 2:2 and 3:3 pulldows is.

But I guess I first have to edit my xorg to be able to change between 24, 50 and 60 in the nvidia setting, and then change XBMC to change the rate after the movie?

But will the 2:2 or 3:3 pullback automic happen if the signal is 24 Hz.

How do I know if the TV display the native 24p or not?

Or shall I maybe change the settings in nvidia to be able to handle 72 hz instead?

/Söder

- User 29008 - 2009-05-26

Quote:But I guess I first have to edit my xorg to be able to change between 24, 50 and 60 in the nvidia setting, and then change XBMC to change the rate after the movie?

Well it depends on your installation/distro maybe ... for me with a kinda clean Ubuntu 9.04 with latest Nvidia driver installed, I do NOT have to add any modelines to my xorg.conf. It just works out of the box. I have auto refresh rate on in XBMC, and XBMC adjusts the refresh rates depending on the movie source on the fly using "xrandr".

Pressing "Z" during playback shows me 24hz output for 24p material, and 50hz output for PAL SD material .... that's what I want.

Quote:How do I know if the TV display the native 24p or not?

Depends on your TV I'd say, my Panasonic Plasma only shows me 1080p, 720p etc. but not the refresh rate .... I'd say though if your TV can't handle 24p you would see it, e.g. stuttering during playback.

boba

- soder - 2009-05-26

boba23 Wrote:Well it depends on your installation/distro maybe ... for me with a kinda clean Ubuntu 9.04 with latest Nvidia driver installed, I do NOT have to add any modelines to my xorg.conf. It just works out of the box. I have auto refresh rate on in XBMC, and XBMC adjusts the refresh rates depending on the movie source on the fly using "xrandr".

Pressing "Z" during playback shows me 24hz output for 24p material, and 50hz output for PAL SD material .... that's what I want.

Depends on your TV I'd say, my Panasonic Plasma only shows me 1080p, 720p etc. but not the refresh rate .... I'd say though if your TV can't handle 24p you would see it, e.g. stuttering during playback.

boba

I also got an panasonic plasma PX80. Im running it in 720p, but I wanna try 1080p to be able to try 24p. BUT I have not good modelines that works, so now Im stucked with 720p in 60 Hz. Or 50 Hz.

/Söder

- dlmh - 2009-05-26

cejstrup Wrote:Yes,I guess you should be able to.I don't know that application so I can't tell you for sure.
I got my info from the xorg log file (max pixelclock, this is a video card parameter) and from the TV manual (horizontal sync,vertical refresh).
Finally got to it, here's the displaymodes according to the manual, hope you can help me!

TV : 46" LCD-TV Samsung LE46A686

CEA: 1920x1080p
Horizontal freq: 15-65 KHz
Vertical freq: 50-76 Hz
Max. pixel clock: 165.000 MHz
Sync Polarity: +/+

Is this what you need?

- o_neill - 2009-05-26

cejstrup Wrote:Try this. Only way I got my Panasonic plasma to work in 1080p:

http://amlc.berlios.de/

Thanks for this one! Helped me to get 1080p@24Hz working fine with my Philips. Smile