Kodi Community Forum
How can i switch to 1980x1080@24Hz - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How can i switch to 1980x1080@24Hz (/showthread.php?tid=50574)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- soder - 2009-09-22

KoosG Wrote:Well I got so frustrated that I went for complete clean install! No modeline custom stuff just what you wrote in your guide.

Refresh rate switching appears to work better then before! XBMC menu is shown in 50Hz (full-screen) and when I play 24p meterial, it automatically switches to 24Hz and back. DVD ISO files are still shown in 50Hz but without motion judder! Confused I don't care that it's 50Hz, it works fine now. But still when I select a DVD ISO file, X crashes back to login screen. The error messages that are displayed dissapear too quickly so I can't read them. Restarting XBMC will play the DVD at 50Hz but when I select 24p meterial afterwards it will stay at 50hz so I'm back with motion judder until a full reboot.

I'm banging my head against the walls here! Huh

I also noticed that when I select 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. manually from Gnome Desktop I do have an option within XBMC that says 1080p@60Hz. for screen resolution. But this won't last after a reboot...

If 60 Hz don't last after reboot, then something is wrong.
Maybe someone here can help you, if its possible to specify in xorg.conf WHAT refresh rate to start with.

DVD in 50 Hz, whats wrong with that? Maybe its a PAL DVD?

What do you mean with no custom modelines stuff?

You have to add some modelines in xorg.conf if you what to enable different refresh rates I think.

/Söder

- KoosG - 2009-09-22

soder Wrote:If 60 Hz don't last after reboot, then something is wrong.
Maybe someone here can help you, if its possible to specify in xorg.conf WHAT refresh rate to start with.

DVD in 50 Hz, whats wrong with that? Maybe its a PAL DVD?

What do you mean with no custom modelines stuff?

You have to add some modelines in xorg.conf if you what to enable different refresh rates I think.

/Söder

Yes it's a PAL DVD, but I had major motion judder problem with them before so I assumed that I needed 60Hz for that to play correctly since it's 30fps? But that's doesn't matter anymore beceause the work properly now after clean install. The only thing is that when switching to 50Hz. X craches back to login screen and no more 24Hz. until reboot.

I haven't added any modelines in xorg.conf since someone else told me that's only needed when the TV doesn't support certain formats automatically. And adding modelines for me whas impossible since no valid modes were shown in the xlog.txt. (when I follow that guide you suggested).

- soder - 2009-09-22

KoosG Wrote:Yes it's a PAL DVD, but I had major motion judder problem with them before so I assumed that I needed 60Hz for that to play correctly since it's 30fps? But that's doesn't matter anymore beceause the work properly now after clean install. The only thing is that when switching to 50Hz. X craches back to login screen and no more 24Hz. until reboot.

I haven't added any modelines in xorg.conf since someone else told me that's only needed when the TV doesn't support certain formats automatically. And adding modelines for me whas impossible since no valid modes were shown in the xlog.txt. (when I follow that guide you suggested).

And you're sure that your TV supports all these different formats automatically?

Btw, PAL IS 50Hz, soo I guess the DVD is in 25 FPS and are then showed correct in 50 Hz.

/Söder

- KoosG - 2009-09-22

soder Wrote:And you're sure that your TV supports all these different formats automatically?

Btw, PAL IS 50Hz, soo I guess the DVD is in 25 FPS and are then showed correct in 50 Hz.

/Söder

It's a brand new Panasonic 42" Plasma TV (TX-42V10). I'm not sure what is supported and what's not...

The 50Hz. is okay then but what about craching back to login screen every time it needs to switch? Is there a way (some kind of logging maybe) to find out what errors are shown briefly and why it crashes?

- soder - 2009-09-22

KoosG Wrote:It's a brand new Panasonic 42" Plasma TV (TX-42V10). I'm not sure what is supported and what's not...

The 50Hz. is okay then but what about craching back to login screen every time it needs to switch? Is there a way (some kind of logging maybe) to find out what errors are shown briefly and why it crashes?

I got an Panasonic plasma to. PX80. It can only show 24, 50 and 60 Hz in 1080p. Only 50 and 60 Hz in 720p. 1024x768 does NOT work over HDMI, only VGA...and 1080p and 720p does NOT work over VGA.

/Söder

- KoosG - 2009-09-22

soder Wrote:I got an Panasonic plasma to. PX80. It can only show 24, 50 and 60 Hz in 1080p. Only 50 and 60 Hz in 720p. 1024x768 does NOT work over HDMI, only VGA...and 1080p and 720p does NOT work over VGA.

/Söder

So when should I need 60Hz. anyway? I can select it manually from Gnome desktop so I'm sure the TV supports it.

But I'm just really anoyed that I need to reboot my XBMC machine every time I need to switch modes beceause they'll stick and won't switch back after playing DVD's.

- soder - 2009-09-22

KoosG Wrote:So when should I need 60Hz. anyway? I can select it manually from Gnome desktop so I'm sure the TV supports it.

But I'm just really anoyed that I need to reboot my XBMC machine every time I need to switch modes beceause they'll stick and won't switch back after playing DVD's.

But XBMC crash when you watch a DVD you said?

Then XBMC have no chance to change back. That happens for me to.

Well some TV SHOWS are in 30 or 60 Hz.

/Söder

- KoosG - 2009-09-25

Problem solved!!

I remove XBMC 9.04 stable release and installed 9.10 SVN release and it all works out perfectly now!

I need to add that the line "Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf was very important. Without it I still had motion judder problems with 24p material.
The SVN release switched back and forth between refresh rates perfectly without crashung back to login screen.

I thought i'd let you know.... Thanks for your time and help!

- soder - 2009-09-25

KoosG Wrote:Problem solved!!

I remove XBMC 9.04 stable release and installed 9.10 SVN release and it all works out perfectly now!

I need to add that the line "Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf was very important. Without it I still had motion judder problems with 24p material.
The SVN release switched back and forth between refresh rates perfectly without crashung back to login screen.

I thought i'd let you know.... Thanks for your time and help!

Great! =)

/Söder

- firaX - 2009-11-09

I have a question:

Some TV show releases are 720p@24hz. Current LCD TVs can receiver 1080p24 but not 720p24. Is there a way to make XBMC upscale 720p24 -> 1080p24? So the TV receives the upscaled 1080p signal in 24hz?

That would be cool.

- snoxbox - 2009-11-10

firaX Wrote:I have a question:

Some TV show releases are 720p@24hz. Current LCD TVs can receiver 1080p24 but not 720p24. Is there a way to make XBMC upscale 720p24 -> 1080p24? So the TV receives the upscaled 1080p signal in 24hz?

That would be cool.

Yes, that is exactly what it does. It would be cool if xbmc could pass the video at the original res, so external scalers can be used. Unfortunately, that does not work. Everything is upscaled to the resolution set for xbmc.

- Zeppstar - 2009-11-10

Just thought I'd chime in another view to this common problem. I see quite a few people claiming that the EDID is not being read/seen properly when infact it is. It is very common for TV manufactures (all of them) to delibrately provide incorrect Horz + Vert refresh rates to PC's. Why? because the average user that connects a PC wants the best possible picture which is generally Native Resolution @ 60hz on LCDs.
Most EDID's on Tv's contain all the possible Resolutions and HZ you could ever want without the hastle of modelines. Its actually nvidia-settings in Xorg that is delibrately ommiting modes outside of the reported Frequencies.

This can be overidden simply in the device section of xorg.conf with

Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE"

If you look though the /var/log/Xorg.0.log you will see modes that have been rejected.

Simply extend your Horz and Vert refresh rates in Monito section to include rejected.

HorizSync 15.7 - 68.0
VertRefresh 24.0 - 75.0

What I also do is is ignore unwanted modes that normally are not associated with movie playback. In the device section of xorg.conf add

Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck,AllowNon60HzDFPModes,NoXServerModes,NoVesaModes"

The usual lines in Sceen section are also required
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

If by chance you have a HD Ready TV (Not full HD) with a max res of 1360X768, You will also need to add to Screen Section so it includes 1080P

SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080"
EndSubSection

I've tried and tested this method on many different TV's and brands successully

For some poeple starting out on a fresh install, a useful way to generate a good base xorg.conf for Nvidia is using

# nvidia-xconfig --force-generate --no-logo --no-twinview --no-composite --depth=24 --no-dynamic-twinview --no-flip --exact-mode-timings-dvi

- firaX - 2009-11-10

I will try this later. So far i got 1080p24 working. However, every now and then it seems there is judder. My Samsung TV should not have judder problems with the latest firmware. Will compare to PS3 Blu Ray to see if it's XBMC or the TV's fault.

I also notices lipsync is a bit incorrect on 24hz playback. Any way to adjust?

- soder - 2009-11-10

firaX Wrote:I will try this later. So far i got 1080p24 working. However, every now and then it seems there is judder. My Samsung TV should not have judder problems with the latest firmware. Will compare to PS3 Blu Ray to see if it's XBMC or the TV's fault.

I also notices lipsync is a bit incorrect on 24hz playback. Any way to adjust?

There is an option for this in the newer SVNs of XBMC. Drop audio or something.

/Söder

- firaX - 2009-11-10

Will try this. About the judder issue - i will try "Sync video to display" and see if that fixes it. I hope it will.