Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS (/showthread.php?tid=50717)

- fozzy010 - 2010-11-28

I wondered if anyone could help me please. I followed the guide to set up my remote, but now my problem is by bluetooth adaptor seems to restart whenever I send a command from my ps3 remote. I can see it connects but as the adaptation restarts I cant really do anything useful with it.

The little bluetooth icon disappears from the top right of the screen and then reappears a few moments later, and then the process repeats if I try to use the remote again.

I've tried searching for a solution, but cant even seem to find a case of the problem occurring.

I'm not very knowledgeable on linux, so was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem or would know what to do to stop it occurring. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I'm using ubuntu 10.04 on an acer revo r3610

- Baswazz - 2010-12-12

heldchen Wrote:make sure you are still using the patched bluez from kitlaan (http://kitlaan.twinaxis.com/projects/bluez-ps3remote/)... battery problem mainly seem to happen on stock bluez versions without the patches. i'm fairly regurarly using my ps3 remote and haven't had to change batteries for 2 months now.

I use the bluez_ps3remote_4.69.diff
2 months isn't that long to?

I was thinking that idletimeout is set to 30 seconds. Can it be that when i shutdown the htpc that it is faster then 30 seconds so it does not go to idle then?

- heldchen - 2010-12-12

2 months and counting...

- Baswazz - 2010-12-12

heldchen Wrote:2 months and counting...

Ahh owk Big Grin nice.
I am reinstalling to the latest xbmc RC2
Buzy with the ps3 remote wiki
What do you suggest mestill use the bluez-4.69 + bluez_ps3remote_4.69.diff
Or try a newer bluez because the latest bluez version is bluez-4.81 don't know if that's possible

- kitlaan - 2010-12-14

Baswazz Wrote:What do you suggest mestill use the bluez-4.69 + bluez_ps3remote_4.69.diff
Or try a newer bluez because the latest bluez version is bluez-4.81 don't know if that's possible

I would suggest going with 4.69 if you haven't been having any problems. (I still haven't tested my own patches for 4.76 or higher, as packaging them for Ubuntu/Debian is quite a bit different from 4.69. If Ubuntu ever upgrades to 4.70+, I'll make some packages.)

BTW, I'm up to 11 months (and still going) on my current PS3 remote batteries, using a timeout value of 60 seconds.

- Baswazz - 2010-12-14

Thx for your reply Kitlaan.
11 months sounds hopeful. Big Grin

I have some problem with pairing the remote using your script.
I checked if the uinput module is running. It does.
Had some help from heldchen installing bluez. Thx again.

Quote:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kitlaan/ppa
sudo nano /etc/apt/preferences.d/00_bluez
Package: bluez
Pin: origin ppa.launchpad.net
Pin-Priority: 999
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bluez

I think this is the best way to install bluez without any complications. Like i had when i followed the wiki.
After this install the following packages:

libbluetooth-dev
python-dbus
python-gobject
python-bluez

Then pair the remote as explained on the wiki.
I will let you guys now if it will work for more then one week.

- danish - 2011-01-08

I'm having an issue where the cross on the PS3 remote is logging my user out (possibly restarting X) in Ubuntu 10.10. Has anyone seen this problem?
The key is mapped to KEY_X, and x is mapped to Close in the Keymap.xml

- s3cur17y - 2011-01-10

Hey I was wondering if any has a good working lircmap.xml and remote.xml for the ps3 bluray remote?

- mighty_bombero - 2011-01-29

I also have the problem that X shuts down X. Not funny. How can this be fixed? Input.conf claims it points to "KEY_SPACE"?

MB

Fix for X crashing when hitting x button - volkermord - 2011-02-04

To fix the crashing xorg-server when hitting the x button, just:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ken-vandine/boxee

Add that repo, then just:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

It'll update to a later version of x-org server that has a patch for this issue, it's know and the latest kernel already has it, but ubuntu's repo's don't have it yet. And yes, I registered just to answer this question, because I spent about 3-4 days constantly looking for a fix for this, when I found that someone on the boxee forums was having the same problems with the boxee remote in xbmc. Same fix. Anyways, have fun.

Quick question though, I have the latest bluez but I have the "battery dies in less than a week" issue, so what exactly, step by step, is the procedure for patching bluez? I keep seeing the patch or people saying they applied it, but I don't know what to do with the code provided? I've search but couldn't really find anything, I'd be happy with just a link if this is already covered elsewhere Big Grin

- yangchao - 2011-02-15

hen I wrote the howto it worked fine for me, after a reboot when I press a key on the remote automaticly reconnects, but now I tried to use the remote with another computer with another BT dongle

- yangchao - 2011-02-15

It'll update to a later version of x-org server that has a patch for this issue, it's know and the latest kernel already has it, but ubuntu's repo's don't have it yet. And yes, I registered just to answer this question, because I spent about 3-4 days constantly looking for a fix for this, when I found that someone on the boxee forums was having the same problems with the boxee remote in xbmc. Same fix. Anyways, have fun.

- Baswazz - 2011-04-19

volkermord Wrote:Quick question though, I have the latest bluez but I have the "battery dies in less than a week" issue, so what exactly, step by step, is the procedure for patching bluez? I keep seeing the patch or people saying they applied it, but I don't know what to do with the code provided? I've search but couldn't really find anything, I'd be happy with just a link if this is already covered elsewhere Big Grin

Kitlaan helped me out with this issue.
The remote itself has no logic to disconnect; the disconnection is done via the PS3/computer. So when you sleep the computer, the disconnect with the remote never happens, so the remote stays on indefinitely.

To fix this issue follow this:
Be sure you installed this packages:
  • libbluetooth-dev
  • python-dbus
  • python-gobject
  • python-bluez

Use this post to install bluez correct.

On this website (at the bottom) you can download a script called bt-disconnect-all
Add it to your home dir.

Next add a configuration to /etc/init/bluetooth-disconnect.conf
Code:
description     "disconnect all devices before shutdown/reboot"

start on (starting rc RUNLEVEL=[06] and stopping dbus)

task

script
    exec /path/to/bt-disconnect-all >/path/to/bt-disconnect.log 2>&1
end script

* Be sure you changed /path/to/ to the location of the configuration file is stored. And store the .log in your home dir.

This will show some output when you shutdown XBMC.
Also you can revere to the log bt-disconnect.log for some more detailed check.

natty - kitlaan - 2011-05-05

For those of you moving to natty, here is a UNTESTED patch for bluez 4.91. There were a few changes to the base code which I think I've worked around, but since I don't have a system to test on, it's hard to say...

If anyone is brave enough to try, let me know how it goes.
(apt-get source bluez. Put the patch as bluez-4.91/debian/patch/10_ps3remote.patch. Modify bluez-4.91/debian/patch/series to add the patch.)

bluez_ps3remote_4.91_untested.patch

- toX_ - 2011-05-05

Hi kitlaan,

downloaded src / patched it

ps3 remote connects - but doesn't work (no buttons work)
also the auto disconnect after a minute doesn't work

configuration worked with your maverick rls
configuration works with original natty rls (no autodisconnect)

if i can help don't hesitate contacting me

d.g.toX_
kitlaan Wrote:For those of you moving to natty, here is a UNTESTED patch for bluez 4.91. There were a few changes to the base code which I think I've worked around, but since I don't have a system to test on, it's hard to say...

If anyone is brave enough to try, let me know how it goes.
(apt-get source bluez. Put the patch as bluez-4.91/debian/patch/10_ps3remote.patch. Modify bluez-4.91/debian/patch/series to add the patch.)

bluez_ps3remote_4.91_untested.patch