Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS (/showthread.php?tid=50717)

- flxfxp - 2009-09-15

logistiker Wrote:You could set it up on a different computer that is running X windows and then copy the /var/lib/bluetooth directory from that computer over to the computer that doesn't have a gui installed. Other than that unfortunately I don't see any other way to set up bluetooth. I attempted many times to set up the bdremote with hcitool and sdptool but those commands simply didn't set up or give me the data necessary to create all the files needed in the /var/lib/bluetooth directory. A few files of note that were missing and crucial to getting it to work were sdp and trust. There is a third file also that I can't remember right now that was also missing.

Is what logistiker says true? Really no commandline option? Because I would love to integrate it in here: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57764

- Eldis - 2009-09-16

ruff Wrote:@logistiker
seems like all patches are ignored, I gave up communicating with them.
As for keys - might be, I've been playing hard with different combinations till I found working mapping for all keys. Afterwards I dug sources and grasped the logic, but was too tired to do it again for x time %)

Damn, so does this mean the ps3 remote won't work out of the box with auto powersave in the future without patching ?

I just ran out of my first batteries took about 7 days 24/7 on to empty them (without patching).

So everytime I upgrade my kernel I will have to repatch or am I overlooking some nifty way to apply Ruffs patches just once ?

- aelzor - 2009-09-16

How will it work if one also have a PS3 in the vicinity? Will the remote control both devices the same time?

- flxfxp - 2009-09-16

Eldis Wrote:Damn, so does this mean the ps3 remote won't work out of the box with auto powersave in the future without patching ?

I just ran out of my first batteries took about 7 days 24/7 on to empty them (without patching).

So everytime I upgrade my kernel I will have to repatch or am I overlooking some nifty way to apply Ruffs patches just once ?

Sounds like PS3 BD Remote + LIRC + XBMC (Linux) = DISASTER

- Eldis - 2009-09-16

flxfxp Wrote:Sounds like PS3 BD Remote + LIRC + XBMC (Linux) = DISASTER
hardly a disaster, still par none the best remote i've had to control a pc (i've tried lots of options).

But granted that having to apply a patch to to official sources is not something most people are willing to do. So just saying that for the ps3 remote to really be a viable solution one that you can recommend to friends there needs to be something more permanent than a patch to version x of bluez.

Still great work from Ruff and the others but a more permanent solution would still be needed.

- Eldis - 2009-09-16

aelzor Wrote:How will it work if one also have a PS3 in the vicinity? Will the remote control both devices the same time?

You can have it paired with just 1 device at a time like all bluetooth devices. So if you pair it with the ps3 it will automatically unpair with your pc and visa versa atleast this is my limited understanding. The remote + dongle compination has a huge range. In my appartement from the furthest corner 3 rooms away about 20m with 4 walls in between I can still control my pc.

- ruff - 2009-09-17

well, I can write standalone daemon, but in that case bluez need to be disabled, since it captures bt interface. In that case it is better to leave just custom compiled bluez, you will have both, bt remote driver and normal working bluez.

- Eldis - 2009-09-18

ruff Wrote:well, I can write standalone daemon, but in that case bluez need to be disabled, since it captures bt interface. In that case it is better to leave just custom compiled bluez, you will have both, bt remote driver and normal working bluez.

I think you are right, I'll try your patch tonight and see if I get it working with bluez-4.50. Besides there is atleast one daemon for the ps3 remote already.

Still hoping the Bluez team would accept atleast the power saving patch you made.

- Eldis - 2009-09-18

Hmm how do I know if I'm now using the compiled and installed bluez 4.50 or the one I got from apt-get ?

I think I'm using the one from apt-get now but how do I fix that ?

This is how I compiled it:
./configure --prefix =/
make
make install-strip

- ruff - 2009-09-18

Eldis Wrote:Hmm how do I know if I'm now using the compiled and installed bluez 4.50 or the one I got from apt-get ?
Check timestamp of /usr/sbin/bluetoothd, if it matches the time you compiled the package.

And btw, seems like patch has been reviewed by bluez team, so heads up Smile

- Eldis - 2009-09-18

ruff Wrote:Check timestamp of /usr/sbin/bluetoothd, if it matches the time you compiled the package.

And btw, seems like patch has been reviewed by bluez team, so heads up Smile

Great news. And nope it didn't match.

Code:
./configure --prefix =/
configure: error: expected an absolute directory name for --prefix: =

EDIT:
./configure --prefix=/ would be correct without the space in between.

But anyway the compiled bluez went somewhere and it's not in /usr/sbin

- hojan - 2009-09-18

Ruff, thanks for your efforts. I think I'm on the right way now, having patched bluez with your modifications. One silly question though, which button does what on the PS3 remote?
I try to queue songs with "0" but that doesn't work, I'm using your keymaps.xml.
I see
17:59:33 T:3041494928 M:1507262464 DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 19, sym: 48, unicode: 48, modifier: 0
17:59:33 T:3041494928 M:1507262464 DEBUG: OnKey: 61536 pressed, action is 58

in xbmc.log.

Thanks.

- ruff - 2009-09-18

the keymap used in the patch provided is posthed here http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p=397714&postcount=83, given the remote acts as keyboard, I mapped the key Insert for queueing
Code:
<keymap>
<global>
  <keyboard>
        <insert>Queue</insert>

- flxfxp - 2009-09-21

ruff, could you do a small writeup on how to make the ps3 remote work with your custom bluez version plus xbmc? I would love to integrate it in XBMScript.

Thanks,

Dennis

- dc2447 - 2009-09-21

Apologies for my laziness, Ubuntu Karmic has blueman 1.10 and 1.51 of bluez, is the ptch still required?