Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!) (/showthread.php?tid=51322)

- Feanorean - 2010-03-30

Bagger Wrote:@ Mr gobbledigook or any others that may have a clue.

Did you manage to get the get_iplayer command running automatically after xbmc has started ?

I've tried several different ways of starting the command at startup but none work. As you say it needs to be run after xbmc has started.

The only way I can think of is a python script from within xbmc, unfortunately Ive not a clue how to go about anything like that.

Anyone any ideas ?

Also this - does anyone have any ideas? Oo

- Rusky_G - 2010-03-30

Hi

I am running 9,11 Live on an Acer Revo R3610

I am very new to XBMC and am not experienced in aything beyond firing it up and playing my media. This week I installed the iPlayer Plug-In to watch the HD stuff. After about a minute it stops - I guess this is to do with the BBC's recent clamp down on XBMC.

So I have read the pages of this thread but do not understand how to implement the work arounds [am happy to try but pages 32 onward still are hard for me to follow...I have no idea what SSH is?!] - can anyone give me a proper step by step of what to do?

Thanks in advance, Russell

- kalross - 2010-03-30

spicemuseum Wrote:I've put it here:
http://bit.ly/cIfPDc

Have fun.

Cheers dude.

- Bagger - 2010-03-30

Rusky_G Wrote:Hi

I am running 9,11 Live on an Acer Revo R3610

I am very new to XBMC and am not experienced in aything beyond firing it up and playing my media. This week I installed the iPlayer Plug-In to watch the HD stuff. After about a minute it stops - I guess this is to do with the BBC's recent clamp down on XBMC.

So I have read the pages of this thread but do not understand how to implement the work arounds [am happy to try but pages 32 onward still are hard for me to follow...I have no idea what SSH is?!] - can anyone give me a proper step by step of what to do?

Thanks in advance, Russell

To use ssh you need to use a program like putty.
Basically it will open a command line window on another pc so you operate your xbmc machine remotely( in other words you can copy and paste commands directly and saves you allot of typing)

have a look here http://wiki.spry.com/Install_and_configure_PuTTY

- Bagger - 2010-03-30

Bagger Wrote:@ Mr gobbledigook or any others that may have a clue.

Did you manage to get the get_iplayer command running automatically after xbmc has started ?

I've tried several different ways of starting the command at startup but none work. As you say it needs to be run after xbmc has started.

The only way I can think of is a python script from within xbmc, unfortunately Ive not a clue how to go about anything like that.

Anyone any ideas ?

Sorted it Smile
Python script to run the command was the way to go.

Assuming you have IPlayer running and the only problem you have is like quoted above.

create an auto start python script.
Code:
sudo nano ~/.xbmc/scripts/autoexec.py

insert the following, save(ctrl o) then exit (ctrl x)
Code:
import os
os.system('get_iplayer.cgi --port=1935 --get_iplayer=/usr/bin/get_iplayer')

This way works fine but is not the "truly" correct way to go about this
You should create a script then use the autoexec. to run your script. (kept getting script failed that way so.....to hell with it Big Grin )

- gobbledigook - 2010-03-30

Quote:Sorted it

Thanx for that Bagger! i am still working on how to make this work under windows... it's become a bit of a challenge (but i only know a bit of bash, so perl is a mystery!) But this information is invaluable! i was trying to put that line in the iplayer plugings default.py... to execute when you started the plugin, but was just getting a cmd box pop up EVERY time i clicked on something within the plugin!!

To know you can just call a file autoexec and it executes on start is invaluable Smile

- the_gambler78 - 2010-03-30

Cheers Exobuzz, i have cbeebies back again, its amazing how many people use the Iplayer only for cbeebies its a godsend.

- Feanorean - 2010-03-30

Bagger Wrote:Sorted it Smile

Wonderful, thank you!

- exobuzz - 2010-03-31

the_gambler78 Wrote:Cheers Exobuzz, i have cbeebies back again, its amazing how many people use the Iplayer only for cbeebies its a godsend.

haha yeh. well it's a similar thing for me. if i have cbeebies + some soap crap on demand for the lady and the kid, my life just is much easier :-)

- MatcherMike - 2010-03-31

Hi All,

Thanks for the great advice on these pages. After a day of playing i can get iplayer to work again Big Grin

I can't get the autoexec.py script to work however - can anyone please offer some assistance?

If i SSH in as root, and run ./get_iplayer.cgi --port=1935 --get_iplayer=/usr/bin/get_iplayer all works well.

With the autoexec lines suggested below, iplayer just won't load any of the programmes. I have checked settings on the scripts files ar 775, copied the get_iplayer.cgi file to several places, but now am at a loss what to check.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Mike

- Bagger - 2010-03-31

MatcherMike Wrote:Hi All,

If i SSH in as root, and run ./get_iplayer.cgi --port=1935 --get_iplayer=/usr/bin/get_iplayer all works well.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Mike

If this works ok it must be the script not loading when you re-start xbmc.
Does it come up with script failed on xbmc start up ?

Hi Bagger,

Thanks for replying - it all goes through pretty quick so i can't see if it says anything about script failure. Is there an easy way to check?

I am reinstalling the whole app at the mo as i have a problem with grub (accidently cleard menu.lst!!).

Mike

- Bagger - 2010-03-31

You cant fail to miss if the script has failed.
When the xbmc home page comes up, if the script fails a warning pops up bottom right.

Nothing pops up on the screen - i'm using the aeon65 skin - does this matter?

I'll reboot with the standard to check.

I've reinstalled everything and again it works if i manually ssh in and run the script, but not with the autoexec.py in /home/xbmc/.xbmc/scripts

Appreciate your assistance

EDIT: Confluence shows no error and again script seems not to have run

Thanks,
Mike

- Bagger - 2010-03-31

You can try executing the script manually.
Create another script with the same lines as the autoexec file, call it what you like with .py extension and put it in the /home/xbmc/.xbmc/scripts/My Scripts directory.
re start xbmc navigate to the Scripts > My Scripts then select the file you've just created.
It should say "running" if its working