Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!) (/showthread.php?tid=51322)

- exobuzz - 2010-04-25

last weeks "tropic of cancer" was one of the ones not working (the bangladesh one). Episode 6 is out now (Laos to Hawaii), and it plays fine, so I'm hoping it's a glitch specific to when the beeb were doing a "service update". Odd that it works from the website though.

[edit] I must have had a brain glitch as the newest episode is not playing... So it does seem likely they have changed the scheme somewhat. Who's up for debugging it ? Smile

On another note, it would be great if the IPlayer plugin could sort episodes by order of show date/episode number.

- Bagger - 2010-04-26

exobuzz Wrote:last weeks "tropic of cancer" was one of the ones not working (the bangladesh one). Episode 6 is out now (Laos to Hawaii), and it plays fine, so I'm hoping it's a glitch specific to when the beeb were doing a "service update". Odd that it works from the website though.

[edit] I must have had a brain glitch as the newest episode is not playing... So it does seem likely they have changed the scheme somewhat. Who's up for debugging it ? Smile

On another note, it would be great if the IPlayer plugin could sort episodes by order of show date/episode number.

Recently starting to mess up for me too, programs seem very temperamental whether they play or not.
What I have noticed though some times if you select it again after it fails to play it will then play. I got this with the newest medieval Britain,but none of the cbeebies zing zillas will play at all for our little un, no matter what I do.

- zackpliskin - 2010-04-26

edz2k9 Wrote:That's more to do with the ridiculous over reactions of content "owners" putting pointless hurdles in place that do nothing to stop commerical infringement but stifles profit-free development since the authors want to play by "the rules".

As with the internet in general, now the big corporations are trumpeting convergence you can expect them to use any and all legal stupidity to take away peoples work which was available for free, cripple it and rebox it for their own ends.

XBMC Iplayer is a perfect example / victim of all this.

No

This is a succinct synopsis of a growing problem the internet is facing. Sad but true, you might say.

Now we're out of the early days and even the average person is guaranteed to be a member of at least four or five different sites, and big businesses - snail slow to adapt to new things as ever - has finally found a several profitable ways to exploit the users, we're going to see a lot of our favourite features homogenised, sanatised and otherwise compromised.

Another case in point is the iPhone - look how Apple have monopolised that. They reserve the right to trash people who develop apps for it, and have shunned Flash support, and because there's still plenty of money being made they can get away with it.

Trust big business to take the fun out of it, eh?

- Smiff - 2010-04-26

i have stuck to what i said i'd do and stopped watching bbc content (unless/until this is sorted).. partly in protest, partly because i can't be bothered with the workarounds, and partly because there's other stuff to watch :p the irony is that this is the one content which in theory we've already paid for.

edit: didn't mean to put down any of the work anyone is doing, i realise some might just want this to work for their kids or whatever, and good luck to you. also important to show the BBC that they are wasting their time trying to 'protect' content in this way.

- irrelevant - 2010-04-26

I'd just like to thank everybody who has been trying hard to get the iplayer working again. I use it for my 3yo, who always seems to want to watch Wiggly Pig or Bob the Builder over and over again..

I've got a Wii sat next to the xbox, and can access iplayer via the official iplayer widget/app/whatever it is called for that, but it's a pain in the neck just getting the pointer onto the TV, never mind actually aiming it at the buttons or, god forbid, the scroll bar... I've no chance of teaching her this one, and as CBeebies programmes are mostly only 10 mins long I'm not getting any peace!

It's ridiculous that they changed it. As has been said, and just like all forms of DRM, it's not going to stop the commercial pirates who don't give a jot about copyright or licencing restrictions. It just annoys those who wanted to do things the "right" way...

- spicemuseum - 2010-04-26

Bagger Wrote:Recently starting to mess up for me too, programs seem very temperamental whether they play or not.
What I have noticed though some times if you select it again after it fails to play it will then play. I got this with the newest medieval Britain,but none of the cbeebies zing zillas will play at all for our little un, no matter what I do.
For reference, no problem recording ZingZillas episode 12 - Bubble Trouble using get_iplayer directly on my linux box (defaulted to flashhigh1 mode), but does not work when trying to play from xbox via get_player.cgi workaround.
However, Zingzillas eposide 11 - A Great Place to Live both records directly on my linux box using get_iplayer, and plays on the xbox via the get_iplayer.cgi workaround.

I have not used Dink's (or Exobuzz's) very latest bugfix iPlayer plugin (25th April version) with the "auth=" change, this is an older version from March time - no reason to update since it works(ish) for me using the get_iplayer workaround. Although I will probably update to eliminate this as a complication to the issue.

So, to recap, for the past few weeks using the get_iplayer linux box <-> xbox workaround I've seen some content which plays and some which doesn't. It's not random, episodes don't occasionally work or not, there is something different with some of beeb's content which means it works via this method, and other content does not.

- Bagger - 2010-04-26

spicemuseum Wrote:For reference, no problem recording ZingZillas episode 12 - Bubble Trouble using get_iplayer directly on my linux box (defaulted to flashhigh1 mode), but does not work when trying to play from xbox via get_player.cgi workaround.
However, Zingzillas eposide 11 - A Great Place to Live both records directly on my linux box using get_iplayer, and plays on the xbox via the get_iplayer.cgi workaround.

I have not used Dink's (or Exobuzz's) very latest bugfix iPlayer plugin (25th April version) with the "auth=" change, this is an older version from March time - no reason to update since it works(ish) for me using the get_iplayer workaround. Although I will probably update to eliminate this as a complication to the issue.

So, to recap, for the past few weeks using the get_iplayer linux box <-> xbox workaround I've seen some content which plays and some which doesn't. It's not random, episodes don't occasionally work or not, there is something different with some of beeb's content which means it works via this method, and other content does not.

I've just tried both of those Zing zilla episodes and neither of them will play.
This is on a XBMC live install. with just the workaround.
I'm going to have to look at applying the new patch see if that helps.

- exobuzz - 2010-04-26

I think the iplayer plugin is doing something wrong with the parameters it is getting and passing to librtmp. but I dont know what yet. I got brainache from looking at wireshark output last night for two hours. I'm hoping someone who has worked with the BBC IPlayer streams more can work it out.

- Bagger - 2010-04-26

Dunno if this helps.

I just downloaded the new patched version of IPlayer , copied over the top of the old one.
Gave it a try and all the episodes that wasn't playing played fine on the first go, but as expected only played for 90 seconds.
So with that working I added the
Code:
url="http://localhost:1935/iplayer?ACTION=stream&PROGTYPES=tv&PID=" + programme.pid + "&MODES=flashhd,flashvhigh,flashhigh,flashstd&STREAMTYPE=none",

line to the default.py and every thing went back to not working or having to select twice on some to get them to play.

That's all folks - dink - 2010-04-27

Hi Folks

I'm afraid that I need to step away from this project since the Beeb has neither changed nor clarified it's stance on non-Adobe clients. It's too much of a grey area for me personally.

It's been fun while it lasted and thanks for all the support.

If you are interested in taking over this plugin please do let me know.

I have made one final update which a) fixes an rtmp url issue and b) adds an option to use mobile video streams. These streams don't use rtmp so no hacks required but the quality is quite poor (ok perhaps for a tot watching cbeebies)

One final thing. In order to avoid the RTMP/Adode grey area I have created a test version of the plugin which runs under Boxee. The issue with this version is it requires hardware accelerated flash and hardware accelerated boxee video playback to play smoothly (or perhaps a beefier CPU than I own). These requirements effectively mean that you need to be using Windows 7 + a graphics card that can decode H.264 Sad

All the best
Dink.

- falafael - 2010-04-27

hi dink, understood given the bbc as they are, it was great while it lasted and your work was fantastic, who knows what may happen in the future mate!
Thank you

- Hitcher - 2010-04-27

dink Wrote:Hi Folks

I'm afraid that I need to step away from this project since the Beeb has neither changed nor clarified it's stance on non-Adobe clients. It's too much of a grey area for me personally.

It's been fun while it lasted and thanks for all the support.

If you are interested in taking over this plugin please do let me know.

I have made one final update which a) fixes an rtmp url issue and b) adds an option to use mobile video streams. These streams don't use rtmp so no hacks required but the quality is quite poor (ok perhaps for a tot watching cbeebies)

One final thing. In order to avoid the RTMP/Adode grey area I have created a test version of the plugin which runs under Boxee. The issue with this version is it requires hardware accelerated flash and hardware accelerated boxee video playback to play smoothly (or perhaps a beefier CPU than I own). These requirements effectively mean that you need to be using Windows 7 + a graphics card that can decode H.264 Sad

All the best
Dink.

What about if this patch makes it to XBMC?

highlandsun Wrote:If you're going to be recompiling anyway, then just build xbmc with this patch

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8971

and it'll all work fine, on every platform.

- dink - 2010-04-27

Hitcher Wrote:What about if this patch makes it to XBMC?

Then I will be more certain that I have done the right thing.

- spicemuseum - 2010-04-27

spicemuseum Wrote:For reference, no problem recording ZingZillas episode 12 - Bubble Trouble using get_iplayer directly on my linux box (defaulted to flashhigh1 mode), but does not work when trying to play from xbox via get_player.cgi workaround.

I have not used Dink's (or Exobuzz's) very latest bugfix iPlayer plugin (25th April version) with the "auth=" change, this is an older version from March time - no reason to update since it works(ish) for me using the get_iplayer workaround. Although I will probably update to eliminate this as complication to the issue.
I have now done this, and the results were unexpected. Absolutely no content I tried (all thirteen ZingZillas and Timmy Time episodes multiple times) would play with Dink's 25th April bugfix iPlayer. Reverted back to the March version and I'm back to many episodes working, some not working. (Yes, I did remember to add in a url=<...myhost:1935...> in default.py in the 25th April version.)

spicemuseum Wrote:So, to recap, for the past few weeks using the get_iplayer linux box <-> xbox workaround I've seen some content which plays and some which doesn't. It's not random, episodes don't occasionally work or not, there is something different with some of beeb's content which means it works via this method, and other content does not.
Not quite right. It looks like my experience matches Bagger's, in that attempting to play the same episode two or three times may ultimately result in success, or not. What platform are you using Bagger, is it a linux box with get_iplayer and an xbox with iPlayer pointed at it (like mine) ?

- spicemuseum - 2010-04-27

dink Wrote:Then I will be more certain that I have done the right thing.
Presumably you're saying that it vindicates your position that your iPlayer plugin is doing something auntie beeb doesn't want you to?