Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!) (/showthread.php?tid=51322)

- exobuzz - 2010-05-17

Slightly off topic here, but I wanted you guys to read my current feelings regarding xbmc. It isn't all rosy here from the point of view of someone who wants to improve/work on the xbox version (and of course share improvements with all versions).

Here you go:

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=161&start=20

someone said a few of my thoughts here too

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/05/05/interview-with-linux-journal/#comment-10209

- mobile - 2010-05-17

@exobuzz... Hi, I noticed that your current xbmc build doesn't have the plugin folders. No big deal as I simply FTP merged the new build with an older one of yours, so the plugin folders were retained. However, your older builds did seem to include these folders... or am I missing something? builds

- exobuzz - 2010-05-17

mobile Wrote:@exobuzz... Hi, I noticed that your current xbmc build doesn't have the plugin folders. No big deal as I simply FTP merged the new build with an older one of yours, so the plugin folders were retained. However, your older builds did seem to include these folders... or am I missing something? builds

Could be. I can probably add them to the build system though. Thanks for the heads up.

- eddebaby - 2010-05-17

exobuzz Wrote:Please can you start a new thread on this and we can continue there?

Will do. Edit: Done

aneng Wrote:Can anyone else confirm if the bottom 2cm of any iPlayer programs look 'stretched' ? - or if it's just me ?

It's definitely not you. I only watch the 800kbps stream so I'm not sure if it applies to the other streams or not. I think it's the resolution of the video. It's 640x372 (AR 1:1.7204) and as far as I'm aware video height and width should both be divisible by 16. The closest resolution which is mod16 is 640x368 (AR 1:1.7391), however the best closest resolution (and the one used by the scene) is 624x352 (AR 1:1.7727). 624x352 is the closest to 16x9 (AR 1:1.7778) and should really be used here. This doesn't seem to affect their flash player though so I doubt they will change it Sad

I just started downloading a video via getflv and it seems the requested display resolution is 640x360 (which is 16x9 -1:1.7778 but still doesn't have a mod16 height). Maybe there is something that can be done with ffmpeg?

Playing the file in VLC has the same results, however I extracted the streams and repackaged in a new mp4 and vlc says the actual resolution is 640x372 but the display resolution is 640x360 - and the stretching is gone. Maybe if we can get XBMC to acknowledge this display resolution the stretching will be gone for us too. Unfortunately this is probably something that needs to be changed in the ffmpeg or mplayer source.

BTW playing the mp4 in XBMC (via DVDPlayer) still gets the same results (resolution is still read as 640x372) so it doesn't have the same sensing for mp4's that vlc does. The same results come from an MKV with 640x360 set as it's display resolution (vlc gets this one wrong too, unlike the mp4 container).

After playing around a little with the crop settings of mplayer I found that if you crop the 640x372 video to 640x360 you get the same output (pixel by pixel) as the web based BBC Iplayer. I assume that their player must do the same - i.e. the video is cropped to 360 height rather than scaled. I wish there was a way to pass a crop parameter to dvdplayer, does anybody know if there is?

Edit: This is the case on the windows build too so this shouldn't cause the developers trouble with an unsupported platform. After reading your post on XBMC for XBOX, exobuzz, I though I should mention this. Your treatment on trac was disgusting!

Edit 2: Added a ticket in trac. Fingers crossed!

- sipart - 2010-05-19

Many thanks exobuzz for all your continued efforts it is very much appreciated (and even more appreciated by my 8yr old son :-)

I have been running your modded build with your plugin on my XBOX.

One question; does the new t3ch build (T3CH XBMC 2010-04-27 SVN rev29407) have the appropriate changes in it to use your new plugin and work? Or is your XBMC build different still?

Cheers

- exobuzz - 2010-05-19

sipart Wrote:One question; does the new t3ch build (T3CH XBMC 2010-04-27 SVN rev29407) have the appropriate changes in it to use your new plugin and work? Or is your XBMC build different still?

Some of my patches made it into svn recently (updates to ffmpeg from trunk), but the libRTMP stuff didn't yet. There is currently only one xbox developer with write access to the main repository, so currently all patches must go through him (And he is quite busy recently).

I don't think t3ch maintain their own patches against the source tree, so until it is in the xbox branch, you will have to make do with mine. It will be much better once the original libRTMP patches make it into the trunk, as then people can start developing streaming plugins that make use of all the new RTMP support the new library offers. Right now everything is sort of in limbo, waiting for this.

- randomscot - 2010-05-20

Any word on a Windows version?

xbmc live - mihaid - 2010-05-21

How do I install "xbmc-live_9.11+svn28256-lucid2_all.deb" on a usb drive. Is there an easy way to create an .iso without getting too involved in linux. My head hurts after following several threads. Alternatively, as some other users mentioned earlier is there a guide which could be followed. I read the readme.txt but it's probably over my capabilities at the moment.

Revo user with Win7 and WinXP

- zackpliskin - 2010-05-23

exobuzz Wrote:Slightly off topic here, but I wanted you guys to read my current feelings regarding xbmc. It isn't all rosy here from the point of view of someone who wants to improve/work on the xbox version (and of course share improvements with all versions).

Here you go:

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=161&start=20

someone said a few of my thoughts here too

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/05/05/interview-with-linux-journal/#comment-10209

I too find the lack of love for XBMC4XBOX baffling. That was the platform that started it all, and disrespecting the legacy like that is pretty bloody cheeky. By all means get another bunch of developers to fork it so they don't have to worry about it any more, but don't complicate the process and refer to the hardware (which is only a decade old, not a century) as ancient in interviews.

You're doing a great job though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's only so much one person can do.

AppleTV XBMC and BBC iPlayer using VPN/Proxy - hedgert - 2010-05-24

I have an AppleTV 3.02 with XBMC installed and it works beautifully.
What I'd like to do is to get BBC iPlayer working under XBMC.
I have the iplayer2 plugin installed and it runs and navigates channels and programmes correctly.
I use a proxy server to access the internet - the proxy server is SquidMan running on my iMac. It is configured to offer the proxy service to two IP consecutive IP addresses (ending 23 and 24). .23 is my MacBook Air - which is configured to use the proxy and runs BBC iPlayer perfectly.
I've configured the same proxy parameters using XBMC (the AppleTV is IP .24) but that does not work. I get errors from the iPlayer plugin when I try to use it.
Occasionally - but not always - I see log messages in SquidMan - when they are from .23 they say TCP_MISSING but when they are from .24 they say TCP_DENIED. So I guess it is some kind of proxy issue I'm having.
But I don't understand why. The proxy params are the same on XBMC/AppleTV as on the MacBook Air - unless XBMC somehow uses the proxy in a different way?
Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

- monty77uk - 2010-05-25

Please excuse the ignorance but I've just copied the latest plugin files over and still not working. XBMC crashed playing one item, and others fail to start giving an error asking me to check the log file. (Where is the log file btw?)

Is there another patch I need to install too? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks!
Monty

- mobile - 2010-05-25

monty77uk Wrote:Please excuse the ignorance but I've just copied the latest plugin files over and still not working. XBMC crashed playing one item, and others fail to start giving an error asking me to check the log file. (Where is the log file btw?)

Is there another patch I need to install too? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks!
Monty
Have you installed exobuzz's XBMC build and installed the iPlayer plugin on that? I believe that currently the plugin only works with exobuzz's XBMC build.

- monty77uk - 2010-05-25

mobile Wrote:Have you installed exobuzz's XBMC build and installed the iPlayer plugin on that? I believe that currently the plugin only works with exobuzz's XBMC build.

Installed from XBMC live CD, so I'm guessing the answer is no. Do I have to re-install in that case?

Thanks!
Monty

- mobile - 2010-05-25

monty77uk Wrote:Installed from XBMC live CD, so I'm guessing the answer is no. Do I have to re-install in that case?

Thanks!
Monty
The live CD will not include exobuzz's build. You could possibly create your own live CD, failing that you will need to wait until exobuzz's changes are added to the official release.

- monty77uk - 2010-05-25

mobile Wrote:The live CD will not include exobuzz's build. You could possibly create your own live CD, failing that you will need to wait until exobuzz's changes are added to the official release.

Thanks .. so there's no way to fudge them into an existing live installation then?

Cheers for all the quick replies, will be patient if required Smile
Monty