projectM black screen - Printable Version
+- XBMC Community Forum (http://forum.xbmc.org)
+-- Forum: Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: XBMC General Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux and Live support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: projectM black screen (/showthread.php?tid=51441)
- o_neill - 2009-06-09 08:56
Great, you're still investigating this issue. So did I understand correctly, that when:
- you use local files projectM always works fine and
- when using remote files it works, if you start a video previously?
Odd, but really could be the case. ProjectM was working for me the last times I tried (remotely) and I played a lot around with video files the last days. I'll check your workaround in detail when back home (it's just in the morning here and my working day just began ).
- zapbeck - 2009-06-09 11:15
I have the exact same behaviour here. it works after starting a video.
projectM also doesn´t work for me with shoutcast but in this case the little trick is not helping...
- succo - 2009-06-09 12:48
that's because shoutcast doesn't use paplayer but dvdplayer, and visualizations work only with paplayer
- zapbeck - 2009-06-09 14:11
as I can remember other visualizations like spectrum work great with shoutcast ?!?
- succo - 2009-06-09 14:41
try to look what are you using for shoutcast, pressing o while playing... it should popup something saying what is happening behind the scenes
- o_neill - 2009-06-09 19:36
Very strange behaviour...
I now tried several use cases:
- projectM never works when playing smb-files, independently of playing a video flie before or not
- but it works on local files. Sometimes directly after restarting XBMC, but also sometimes I get a black screen and if I in this case start a videofile, projectM works after that
- projectM doesn't work with shoutcast streams
I assume that doesn't help very much....
- succo - 2009-06-09 20:32
o_neill, another question... is the video file you're playing on a smb share?
as far as i can guess, somehow projectM could need the video to be initialized from the same (local or remote) source, and this could explain why there is no projectM on shoutcast, as there is no shoutcast video source at all to init the screen
am i completely off target
edit: i can confirm that playing a local files doesn't make projectM work on smb music... are we going somewhere?
- o_neill - 2009-06-09 21:11
succo, you are so right
To conclude my behaviour:
- projectM works for remote files, if a remote videofile is played before, a local videofile is not enough
- projectM works for local files sometimes
- if it doesn't work for local files, playing a local videofile helps
- succo - 2009-06-10 14:12
ok, so... do i need to fill a ticket for this or is this investigated by someone?
i don't think i can be any more precise in a ticket as there is nothing strange in the logs, only visualization doesn't work if the screen isn't init from the same source before playing the music (as far as i can guess...)
- Zapata - 2009-10-19 21:53
Same problem here with r23824, ProjectM fullcreen and menu Viz gives a black screen and XBMC reboots after a while if the Viz stays up! Any clues?