Kodi Community Forum
[Web Interface Addon] XBMC Control Web Page - an open source development project - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Web Interfaces (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=156)
+---- Thread: [Web Interface Addon] XBMC Control Web Page - an open source development project (/showthread.php?tid=51596)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- theuni - 2010-02-07

Just wanted to give you guys a bit of notice incase you haven't seen yet.

The interface looks quite nice, much nicer than what we've currently got with xbmc. That being said, the current GoAhead server is being ripped out due to licensing issues. Our hands are tied here, we have no choice. This will likely be done in the next few days. Unfortunately the new server does not handle asp/php, so all current web interfaces will no longer work.

The good news is that it's being replaced buy a much more powerful and flexible alternative, jsonrpc. See here for more info.

We hope that the current efforts will move to the new interface, there's lots of talent here.

TheUni

- Kabooga - 2010-02-08

The framework I'm using (extjs) has json handlers. Hopefully this will ease the transition.

Thanks for the heads up.

Kabooga

- Livin - 2010-04-04

Kabooga,
Any progress on migrating the code?

- Kabooga - 2010-04-05

I've finally had some time to actually try some interface face calls using the JSON rpc. The good news is the changes to the app to enable JSON RPC calls are relatively small. So the mechanics of issuing requests and receiving/sending data is not an problem.

The two biggest issues I see are:
1) The new API interface does not have all the functionality of the old API. This is starting to be addressed, but will take time. Also some of the functionality I depended on may not be incorporated in the new API. There will most likely have to be some compromises made to the app.
2) Time. I'm at a new job and I am one of the senior developers. The times I have open to mess around with the app is much less than before.

Cheers,
Kabooga

- rudeboyx - 2010-04-06

Nice to hear Kabooga. i really mis this UI since upgrade my XBMC build. think im going to go back to one that supports it (Do you know the last XBMC build to support it?).

thanks agin for all the work on this awsome webui. its been the best part of my xbmc setup for some time. I look forward to the new version.

Rudeboy

- tikkiew - 2010-04-11

I am having problem using it. It doesn't show anything for me. What am I doing wrong?

- CharlesNasi - 2010-04-13

Quote:I am having problem using it. It doesn't show anything for me. What am I doing wrong?
Are you using a SVN build of XBMC? Because in newer SVN builds, there is another webserver integrated (Don't know all information about that, but the screenshot looks exactly the same as my tryout wit the Control Web Page)

- tikkiew - 2010-04-13

CharlesNasi Wrote:Are you using a SVN build of XBMC? Because in newer SVN builds, there is another (Don't know all information about that, but the screenshot looks exactly the same as my tryout wit the Control Web Page)

Thanks for pointing that out I wasn't aware of the standard integrated webserver. I have and old XBMC build on my xbox from almost a year ago and that one works. But when I manage to install a new build on my Xbox. I will try the new version. Still don't know why this isn't working on my pc. Can be my pc, I don't know.

- Connor32 - 2010-04-17

Hi,

I am using the latest SVN build from XBMC. In library mode (both music and video) everything seems to work correctly in Safari web browser. In files mode, everytime I click on a song/video a subobject appears with the same name and with the error "Not folder".

Any help? Thanks!!!!

- Bram77 - 2010-04-17

I'm working on a JS library to simplify usage of the JSON RPC api incorporated in the latest SVN builds (except for the XBOX branch unfortunately). The new web api is WAY faster, more reliable and a lot easier to use. The JS library mimics the JSONS RPC namespaces and methods, more or less. I'm also using it as an abstraction layer in some cases.

I have created a demo page, the files should reside in de root of xbmc's web directory. Somehow a subdir won't work (webserver related problem).

If you'd like to have a peak at the currently implemented methods.... Compile XBMC SVN from source and do a checkout from the google-code page...

http://code.google.com/p/xbmcweb/source/checkout

- Kabooga - 2010-04-19

Hi Bram77, good to hear from you.
I will take a look at the library you are generating. The library you made for XBMControl was very useful.

I haven't jumped on the new API much yet. I don't have a Linux development system, and it seems the code tip is unstable for Windows. I don't want to spend a lot of time developing to a very fluid codebase. Once the nightly builds start back up I will devote more time to this project.

Cheers,
Kabooga

- Bram77 - 2010-04-19

Thanks Smile. I've been asked to create a web interface for the new api. I'm not using ExtJs anymore as it's creating way to much overhead to my likings, but it will heavily depend on the jQuery library (which surprises me every day, in a very positive way). If everything goes as planned it will be a whole lot easier to create web interfaces using the JS library.

I might start writing the code to be api independant/configurable. If I can move a developer to create a api call that will tell me which api is available it could be fully automatic. No extra effort required for the webapp developer.
I hope there won't be any need for this. I'd much rather see the JSON RPC api incorporated into ALL the branches (including the XBOX branch).

- Kabooga - 2010-04-21

It is probably better that you use JQuery for XBMC anyway.
There was some confusion about the ExtJS license vs the XBMC license.
Better to use a framework with the same license as XBMC.

- Bram77 - 2010-04-21

You're right. I have communicated about licensing with a ExtJs employee. They are using the GPL3 license which is incompatible with the GPL2 license used by XBMC. So there is no way to match them. A interface build on GPL3 could never be incorporated in XBMC with the current license configuration.

But the webinterface could be offered as a separate package under a different license. So that's would be only a bump on the road, not a reason to not use ExtJs. Using jQuery makes the application much more transparent and easier the maintain. At the same time exactly the same things can be done (with a little bit more effort), in a more efficient way. As long as you stay within the limit's of ExtJs, it's a very powerfull library. But if you want something customized within the standardized elements of ExtJs, you're a long way from home and if you get it together it will be very hard to understand for anyone else (codewise).

- topfs2 - 2010-04-21

Bram77 Wrote:You're right. I have communicated about licensing with a ExtJs employee. They are using the GPL3 license which is incompatible with the GPL2 license used by XBMC. So there is no way to match them. A interface build on GPL3 could never be incorporated in XBMC with the current license configuration.

But the webinterface could be offered as a separate package under a different license. So that's would be only a bump on the road, not a reason to not use ExtJs. Using jQuery makes the application much more transparent and easier the maintain. At the same time exactly the same things can be done (with a little bit more effort), in a more efficient way.

Uhm, XBMC is GPLv2+ the + is vital here, when you install and use a webinterface thats GPLv3 the worst thing that can happen is that XBMC becomes GPLv3, which is perfectly fine. As a matter of fact our debs even are GPLv3 since they incorporate hts tvheadend support which is GPLv3.

Also I'm pretty sure that using ExtJs for a webinterface to xbmc shouldn't bump the core it runs on in anycase since XBMC just provide functions accesible to all, like if you access http://www.google.com via ExtJs it doesn't make google GPLv3.