Kodi Community Forum
Video library redesign idea - How can we improve Smart Playlists, aka Filtered Lists? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Video library redesign idea - How can we improve Smart Playlists, aka Filtered Lists? (/showthread.php?tid=51605)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- KidKiwi - 2009-07-13

jmarshall Wrote:...It just seems a clunky way to look through movies to find something to watch

True - for me, I don't use this method to find something to watch - I use it to return to something I am currently watching. The ability to return to a list of last played items by simply pressing the play button would remove the need for this from my perspective.

I usually use the scrollbar to cycle through my collection when I'm looking for something to watch. I personally still like the idea of being able to create custom channels (like user TV/movie/mixed channels - using smartplaylists - all completely automatic). There was another post here about this recently (but it didn't get any comments)http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53375&highlight=jump

jmarshall Wrote:Having an independent list of letters on screen at the same time is an option perhaps, but it needs to be done intelligently (no point showing letters that don't exist, for instance).
This would be a very nice addition to the skin.

As I said earlier, I made an onscreen "JumpSMS" version for PM3. I use it all the time, and it only uses one remote button to activate it (then you can use other buttons within it's window). It probably needs Next/Prev Letter added to it as well now. (Original Post here http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=225167&postcount=21)

The trouble is, I modded this ages ago and I can't remember how I did it. Rolleyes - and I have to redo the mod everytime I update. Would be great if this was a permanent part of PM3 (Or any skin)

All these things will probably change once we see how the new library works Big Grin

- snoxbox - 2009-07-14

One thing that I'd really like to see is xbmc automatically going to the next unwatched episode when selecting a TV Show, or being able to press play on a tv show and have it play the next unwatched ep.. I'm sure 99% of the time, users would drill down from Show-->Season-->Episode that they are currently up to.

- midgetspy - 2009-07-14

KidKiwi Wrote:True - for me, I don't use this method to find something to watch - I use it to return to something I am currently watching. The ability to return to a list of last played items by simply pressing the play button would remove the need for this from my perspective.

I usually use the scrollbar to cycle through my collection when I'm looking for something to watch. I personally still like the idea of being able to create custom channels (like user TV/movie/mixed channels - using smartplaylists - all completely automatic). There was another post here about this recently (but it didn't get any comments)http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53375&highlight=jump

This would be a very nice addition to the skin.

As I said earlier, I made an onscreen "JumpSMS" version for PM3. I use it all the time, and it only uses one remote button to activate it (then you can use other buttons within it's window). It probably needs Next/Prev Letter added to it as well now. (Original Post here http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=225167&postcount=21)

The trouble is, I modded this ages ago and I can't remember how I did it. Rolleyes - and I have to redo the mod everytime I update. Would be great if this was a permanent part of PM3 (Or any skin)

All these things will probably change once we see how the new library works Big Grin

IMO that's a terrible way of implementing it into the skin - if you're going to have the alphabet there I'd say put it like a combination of a scrollbar and an OSX-style dock where the selected letter is magnified and centered. So maybe beside the scrollbar you'd have 10 letters of the alphabet, current letter centered and larger, and as you went down it'd update your 10 letter window and scroll by letter.

At least that's always how I envisioned it working.

- jmarshall - 2009-07-14

pecino: Perhaps I need to explain more clearly.

All I said is that A-Z browsing is IMO useless in terms of the hierarchical browsing. i.e. I see little point on clicking on "Go to my movies" and seeing a bunch of A, B, C stuff. That seems to be a horrible way to browse the movies, as I get no idea of an overview.

However, I do see the point in clicking on "Go to my movies" and seeing all my movies in addition to having a list that I can move to that allows faster browsing through the letters. As I point out above, this would have to be carefully done though.

In the meantime, either map jumpsms2 -> jumpsms9 to your remote keys, or use nextletter/prevletter - it'll be the same number of clicks pretty much.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- Nick8888 - 2009-07-14

Don't have a clue about programming but what about turning these into "navigation modules" i.e. the current scrollbar would be one and the others such as scrollA-Z could be added. In my view scrollA-Z would be the same dimensions as the current vertical scrollbar but with the 26 letters + perhaps other symbols (numbers?) in a vertical list. If a letter such as 'C' is not in the library then it will not be selectable and navigation will go from 'B' to 'D'.

This way skins could select which "navigation modules" they used and perhaps some would use multiple.

Obviously it would be alot harder when skinners start asking for horizontal ones etc

- jmarshall - 2009-07-14

The mechanics in terms of the skin is easy - it's just another list. The only "tricky" bit is filling said list with the appropriate letter items. There's plenty of easy ways that this could be done, but I don't like to do anything that isn't easily extensible.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- Nick8888 - 2009-07-14

Don't have a clue about programming but what about turning these into "navigation modules" i.e. the current scrollbar would be one and the others such as scrollA-Z could be added. In my view scrollA-Z would be the same dimensions as the current vertical scrollbar but with the 26 letters + perhaps other symbols (numbers?) in a vertical list. If a letter such as 'C' is not in the library then it will not be selectable and navigation will go from 'B' to 'D'.

This way skins could select which "navigation modules" they used and perhaps some would use multiple.

Obviously it would be alot harder when skinners start asking for horizontal ones etc

- o_dog - 2009-07-14

don't think thats a good idea, if it should be added it could be added as a section in the library just as title and genres, maybe "Titles #" or something like that.

- RockDawg - 2009-07-14

TeknoJnky Wrote:I occasionally use Info > actors to see actor thumbnails for ones I can't remember etc.

Something I would really like to use it for, is 'find more from actor' type function, where I can pull an actor, see what other movies, select a movie, see what info and other actors are in it and have the ability to play it.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are wanting, XBMC already does this. For example, if I go to info for the movie 48 Hours and go into the cast list, I can click on Eddie Murphy in the cast list and XBMC wil retrieve a list of all the movies I have with him in them. I can then click on any of the listed movies and I am taken to the info page for that movie.

- KidKiwi - 2009-07-15

midgetspy Wrote:IMO that's a terrible way of implementing it into the skin - if you're going to have the alphabet there I'd say put it like a combination of a scrollbar and an OSX-style dock where the selected letter is magnified and centered....

I think you missed the point. The pic isn't a mock up of how I envisioned an alphabet list for title selection, but an actual working model of "Jump SMS" that I made for PM3 - using a single activation button on the remote. I have the 1-9 number buttons mapped to other functions, so it wasn't an ideal situation for me. Just saying that this would be a nice "stock" feature of xbmc.

- RockDawg - 2009-07-15

I agree with Mick8888. I thought it would be cool if you could have a setting to replace the scrollbar with (or just have it next to) a vertical list of alphabet tabs. Kind of like the tabs on an address book. That could be unobtrusive yet ewasy to access and use.

- KidKiwi - 2009-07-16

RockDawg Wrote:I agree with Mick8888. I thought it would be cool if you could have a setting to replace the scrollbar with (or just have it next to) a vertical list of alphabet tabs. Kind of like the tabs on an address book. That could be unobtrusive yet ewasy to access and use.

Yeah, I like that idea too.

- minimalko - 2009-07-19

RockDawg Wrote:I agree with Mick8888. I thought it would be cool if you could have a setting to replace the scrollbar with (or just have it next to) a vertical list of alphabet tabs. Kind of like the tabs on an address book. That could be unobtrusive yet ewasy to access and use.

Very good idea. I have been thinking about this for quite some time.

centralized, shareable library - cnschulz - 2009-07-22

is this the place for me to re-iterate my request for a centralized, shareable library?

so the loungeroom is in sync with the bedroom... connotations aside Smile

- wstewart - 2009-07-23

cnschulz Wrote:is this the place for me to re-iterate my request for a centralized, shareable library?

so the loungeroom is in sync with the bedroom... connotations aside Smile

That is what this thread is about: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37449

Its in my plan, I just haven't had time to finish coding it, it has taken longer than expected to convert my system and large video collection over from mythtv to xbmc. What I am planning should be compatible with jmarshall's library changes.