Kodi Community Forum
[OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=51945)

- nunu - 2010-06-04

hi,

i use svn 30762.

i try to patch vdpau for TVHEADEND with 2 patches, but my cpu is still 100% (AMD 64 3200+ thats works at 30% with 1080p movies).

Is there something else to set to do to have VDPAU ? (settings etc...)

regards
Manuel

- tlanfer - 2010-06-04

giuliocoluccia Wrote:Hello, I have XBMC and tvheadend installed under ubuntu 10.04. I have a problem (I suppose) with the init.d script. I mean: I can watch TV (from a DVB-T adapter) if after a reboot I kill the autostarted process by
Code:
sudo killall tvheadend
and then restarting it again by
Code:
tvheadend -f
Then I start XBMC inside Ubuntu and everything works fine.

I would like tvheadend to autostart correctly, both under Gnome and when XBMC is started as a stand alone session. What can I do? Thanks for your help.
My best guess: The daemon starts tvheadend as user "hts", while you run tvheadend -f as another user. You could either make tvheadend work as user hts or (what i did), change the init scripts make tvheadend run as your user.

- jeepcook - 2010-06-05

I made an addon.xml for tvheadend client and the last svn. This file seems to be ok because I see in xbmc.log that the addon is installed but when I'm going to system, addon, I can't activate it because I have no PVR section.

Thanks for your help !!

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<addon
  id="pvr.hts"
  version="1.0.0"
  name="TvHeadEnd Client"
  provider-name="Alwin Esch / TEAMXBMC">
  <requires>
    <c-pluff version="0.1"/>
  </requires>
  <extension
    point="xbmc.pvrclient"
    library_linux="XBMC_Tvheadend.pvr"
    library_osx="XBMC_Tvheadend.pvr"
    library_wingl="XBMC_Tvheadend.pvr"
    library_windx="XBMC_Tvheadend.pvr"/>
  <extension point="xbmc.addon.metadata">
    <summary>XBMC's frontend for Tvheadend</summary>
    <description>Tvheadend frontend; supporting streaming of Live TV &amp; Recordings, EPG, Timers</description>
    <disclaimer>This is unstable software! The authors are in no way responsible for failed recordings, incorrect timers, wasted hours, or any other undesirable effects..</disclaimer>
    <platform>all</platform>
  </extension>
</addon>

- giuliocoluccia - 2010-06-05

tlanfer Wrote:My best guess: The daemon starts tvheadend as user "hts", while you run tvheadend -f as another user. You could either make tvheadend work as user hts or (what i did), change the init scripts make tvheadend run as your user.
Hi,
I tried to follow your advice. I edited /etc/init.d/tvheadend and replacing line
Code:
DAEMON_ARGS="-f -u hts -g video"
with
Code:
DAEMON_ARGS="-f -u myuser"
but it seems not to work. After this substitution the deamon seems not to be loaded anymore (while before it was running, even if I had to restart it).

EDIT: I tried also
Code:
DAEMON_ARGS="-f -u myuser -g video"
but the same happens. I have to manually start it after the O.S. has started.

- moontan77 - 2010-06-05

Are people still having random crashes where xbmc restarts while watching tv/scrolling through epg with the latest gujs builds?

I know its still in development, just want to know if i'm the only one!

- alanwww1 - 2010-06-06

moontan77 Wrote:what are Continuity counter error's?

I seem to be getting a lot them with tvheadend 2.11 even though my signal is 100%

Hi Moontan77 !

I tried several dvb and dvb-s2 cards including Technisat Skystar 1, Skystar USB, Skystar HD, Skystar HD2, Hauppage WinTV Nova S2, Fire DTV S2

Some had these continuity errors, some doesn't. I always used the same dish. So it is NOT a signal quality problem.

The best working card i had tested is the Hauppage card:

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_novahds2.html

No errors whatsoever. Fast channel switch, HD programs work like charm. I can really recommend THIS card.

I had the continuity errors with Skystar 2HD. I had some other errors with FireDTV S2:
http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/ticket/194

So if you want perfect DVB-S2 HD reception go for the Hauppage. You only need a recent kernel (lucid is perfect) and a firmware file copied into /etc/lib/. I can help with that.

Cheers,

Alan

- moontan77 - 2010-06-06

seems to be cards which have the stb0899 chip that get these errors. From what i have read, it's not possible to get the signal information from cards with these chips (skystar hd etc).

It doesnt seem to cause a problem though from what I can see.

Using an acer revo so only usb dvb-s2 are an option for me, thanks for the info.

- Gujs - 2010-06-07

Yesterday I uploaded latest tvhedend. But now I changed the name. It includes ubuntu version in name, just like xbmc packages. If you want it, you have to remove the old one and install new one again.

I also tried the pvr-testing2 after big merge and it is not very stable at the moment. So I will not provide any packages until it is fixed. If I will do something new on tvheadend pvr-client, I will add it to before merge version of xbmc.

- Razor_109 - 2010-06-07

Gujs Wrote:Yesterday I uploaded latest tvhedend. But now I changed the name. It includes ubuntu version in name, just like xbmc packages. If you want it, you have to remove the old one and install new one again.

I also tried the pvr-testing2 after big merge and it is not very stable at the moment. So I will not provide any packages until it is fixed. If I will do something new on tvheadend pvr-client, I will add it to before merge version of xbmc.

Thanks for the good work! I've switched back to Ubuntu 10.4 and running your PVR2-version with Tvheadend now like a charm! Recording and schedule is showed properly. I also gave the post-merge version a go but it's still very unstable indeed!

I was wondering about the recording functions. Is it normal scheduling a recording or hit 'Record' during play still gives a server error? So not yet implemented or is this an error on my part?

Ps. Any other skins than confluence supporting the PVR functions yet?

- nunu - 2010-06-07

Hi,
just a question about H264 and VDPAU : do the 2 patches (or 1 of them) works to force VDPAU with HD-TV ??

I tried both of them, but VDPAU seems not working (CPU at 100%)

regards
Manuel

Tvheadend 11 + ubuntu 10.01

- infabo - 2010-06-07

you can enable vaapi hw-acceleration in xbmc. you can get the libva + vdpau-video packages from https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/cutting-edge-multimedia. the only drawback is that there is no deinterlacing with vaapi at all.

- nunu - 2010-06-07

To be sure to understand.
At present i have VDPAU and H264 workings fine with movies.
But to have the VDPAU with HD-TV working, i have to install other librairies ?

regards
nunu

- Gujs - 2010-06-07

The problem is that implementation of vdpau in xbmc needs to get video height and width to get started. But tvheadend doesn't report this right now.

So if you want hw accelerated TV on nvidia, you have to use vaapi for now. But for now I think that vaapi is also not usable for watching TV right now, because it lacks de-interlace implementation.

- infabo - 2010-06-07

i just investigated a few minutes to find out how the vnsi-client solves the vdpau-problem. so don't bash me if i'm wrong Big Grin. i've found this in the xbmc-tree:

xbmc/pvrclients/vdr-vnsi/vdr-plugin-vnsiserver/demuxer_h264.c
on line 210 the comment says: "Discard Packets until we have the picture size (XBMC can't enable VDPAU without it)". so this should be the glue. tvheadend isn't going to provide the dimensions ever. (see here for real quote)

- jeepcook - 2010-06-07

what about the new addon.xml ?
Thanks