Kodi Community Forum
[OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=51945)

- Gujs - 2010-06-14

No. There is no support for this in tvheadend.

- maddox - 2010-06-14

Gujs, there´s something weird after all. I installed the latest packages. i don´t have any technical knowledge and english its not my mother language but i´ll try to explain the best i can Smile

I watch TV mostly from 2 different packages

1. the regular channels from the 1st provider (SYS_DVBS, QPSK ) are working with "ff-mpegvideo_vdpau-vdpau" -- everything ok here

2. then both the HD channels from the 1st provider and all the channels from the 2nd provider (SYS_DVBS2, PSK_8) most of the times open with "ff-h264_vdpau-vdpau" (in this case it plays smooth) but sometimes they open with "ff-h264-vaapi" ( in this case the video is choppy for 30 secs or so before stabilize)

its weird and very random: the same channel may open with either vaapi or vdpau

- Gujs - 2010-06-14

maddox Wrote:Gujs, there´s something weird after all. I installed the latest packages. i don´t have any technical knowledge and english its not my mother language but i´ll try to explain the best i can Smile

I watch TV mostly from 2 different packages

1. the regular channels from the 1st provider (SYS_DVBS, QPSK ) are working with "ff-mpegvideo_vdpau-vdpau" -- everything ok here

2. then both the HD channels from the 1st provider and all the channels from the 2nd provider (SYS_DVBS2, PSK_8) most of the times open with "ff-h264_vdpau-vdpau" (in this case it plays smooth) but sometimes they open with "ff-h264-vaapi" ( in this case the video is choppy for 30 secs or so before stabilize)

its weird and very random: the same channel may open with either vaapi or vdpau

You have to disable vaapi support in Settings > Video > Playback. Just leave VDPAU enabled and disable VAAPI.

I find very annoying that Auto Crop doesn't work with VDPAU. I have a lot of TV channels broadcasted as 4:3 with black bars at top and bottom.

- maddox - 2010-06-14

Gujs Wrote:You have to disable vaapi support in Settings > Video > Playback. Just leave VDPAU enabled and disable VAAPI.

You´re right, i completely forgot about that option Smile

Gujs Wrote:I find very annoying that Auto Crop doesn't work with VDPAU. I have a lot of TV channels broadcasted as 4:3 with black bars at top and bottom.

I noticed that too, its a bit of annoying yes.

I also have some crashes. segmentation faults occur once in a while but i had them before this latest package. More often if use xbmc and other apps at the same time, like firefox. Its probably hardware related but here´s the last crash log

- Jezz_X - 2010-06-15

Gujs Wrote:TVheadend and XBMC are updated on my ppa. They work OK with VDPAU

I got to ask do you actually have the source code available anywhere or is it just ppa's ?

Aside from the obvious gpl violation stuff of releasing compiled versions with no modified source. I need to be able to use the xbmc svn source so I can actually commit changes I make to the skins back to main SVN (so you guys can have a working pvr).

You also need to take into account that if your modding tvheadend in anyway to get all this to work in the end unless you convince andoma to merge it back into the main code. Its not going to make it into the main xbmc version so its probably a good idea to start submitting patches to them and see what gets rejected and what doesn't.

But anyway back to my original question source code available anywhere or at least a patch file ?

- uwinkelvos - 2010-06-15

everything needed is already in the respective trunk. tvheadend rev. 4895 and xbmc-svn rev. 31080.

- Jezz_X - 2010-06-15

uwinkelvos Wrote:everything needed is already in the respective trunk. tvheadend rev. 4895 and xbmc-svn rev. 31080.

what trunk ? if you are referring to the pvr branch that is incorrect the current pvr branch has no ability to schedule recordings from tvheadend which this seems to so obviously its not just xbmc's current code and is modified. Did I miss a link to a trunk created by Gujs in all these pages ?

- Gujs - 2010-06-15

Hi Jezz_X. First I have to tell you that I appreciate your and XBMC Team work a lot. You all gave us the best HTPC application ever.

I don't want to hide anything. You can always download my source code from ppa created on launchpad. But you don't have to, because I intend to contribute to XBMC project. I already did this in the past:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/9300

I didn't submit a patch for schedule recordings because it doesn't work yet as it should. It still has some problems. And because I am using XBMC just late at night when I have some time to watch TV, I thought that it would be great if someone else is also testing my patch. That is why I added it in build on my ppa.

I think I made some progress with this yesterday evening, And if it will work as expected I will submit a patch to trac.
I will also submit a patch for VDPAU which is basically the same code as here:
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/31080/trunk

I was also not in hurry with submitting patches because tvheadend pvr client doesn't even work in latest pvr-testing2. And it is also not very stable right now. That is why I also stay on rev 30781 in my ppa.

- nunu - 2010-06-15

Gujs : do you have a list of which features are supported by your load, what is not supported and what do you want us to test ?

regards
Nunu

- Gujs - 2010-06-15

Yes I have. In my build you can schedule recording from XBMC and VDPAU is supported for tvheadend pvr client. I will try to finalize my schedule recording patch today and then I will submit it to trac. Yesterday I fixed starting recordings from record button on Video OSD. And reloading of EPG after every XBMC restart is also fixed.

And I also have my Auto Crop function, which I don't think XBMC team will accept, but I can submit a patch anyway. My Auto Crop patch just fixes Crop Black Bars function for TV channels which have white lines at top of the screen.

- Jezz_X - 2010-06-15

Gujs might also be worth adding some comments to the original tvheadend pvr trac ticket http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8414 at least telling people you are taking over dev of it. If you want I can even close that one since its all been committed I just like to keep things organized

- nunu - 2010-06-15

Gujs : i wait for your new build and after i will make tests !

- Gujs - 2010-06-15

Yes. The best thing would be to close that one. And then I will start a new ticket. I just need to clean up patch a little, because I have lots of logs in it (still learning how plugin works Big Grin ). I hope I will have time tonight to finish it up.

- uwinkelvos - 2010-06-15

Jezz_X Wrote:what trunk ? if you are referring to the pvr branch that is incorrect the current pvr branch has no ability to schedule recordings from tvheadend which this seems to so obviously its not just xbmc's current code and is modified. Did I miss a link to a trunk created by Gujs in all these pages ?
You are right, i got it wrong. I was referrring to svn trunk, not testing branch.

Gujs Wrote:I don't want to hide anything. You can always download my source code from ppa created on launchpad.
Might be a stupid question... but how? I could not find the link.
Quote:I was also not in hurry with submitting patches because tvheadend pvr client doesn't even work in latest pvr-testing2.
Did you manage to figure out why? Tried to build yesterdays HEAD and ended up in a prettty messy build. Needed to move *.so from share to lib manually (except addons) and even then tvheadend-addon did not load. Was not even mentioned in the logs.

- Gujs - 2010-06-15

Just go to this page https://launchpad.net/~gregor-fuis/+archive/xbmc-pvr/+packages and click on the package you want. It will open package details, and then you can click on every package for download. There is also source code.
Here is direct link to source package: https://launchpad.net/~gregor-fuis/+archive/xbmc-pvr/+files/xbmc_9.11+svn30781.lucid3.tar.gz

Latest pvr-testing is a mess. I had a lot of problems with it, and it crashed every minute for me. I also had to delete .xbmc directory every time before I started xbmc, otherwise XBMC just crashed before GUI even showed up. I think it is better to wait until alwinus merges it again with trunk. And if you want tvheadend pvr client to work with it, you need to add addon.xml to pvr.hts addon.