Kodi Community Forum
[OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=51945)

- jeepcook - 2009-07-19

In fact there is a big bug .... when some muxes are autodiscoved with the Vertical polarisation, the file in the directory dvbmuxes/_dev_dvb_adapter0_DST_DVB_S is badly generated, you always have Horizontal instead of Vertical for the polarisation, for example:

_dev_dvb_adapter0_DST_DVB_S12728500_V_satconf_1
{
"quality": 100,
"enabled": 1,
"status": "Unknown",
"transportstreamid": 1120,
"frequency": 12728500,
"symbol_rate": 22000000,
"fec": "5/6",
"polarisation": "Horizontal",
"satconf": "1"
}

- andoma - 2009-07-19

Auch, embarrassing. I don't have any DVB-S cards to test with so some bug must have slipped in.

I'll have a look at it

- jeepcook - 2009-07-19

I've tried to replace Horizontal by Vertical into files _dev_dvb_adapter0_DST_DVB_*_V_satconf_* using the sed unix command. The modification has been recorded but after a new scan the file is modificated by the program, Vertical is replaced by Horizontal .....

- andoma - 2009-07-19

Yes, it's a bug in the internal handling of the mux structure.

polarisation is never set internally, resulting in that it always is
POLARISATION_HORIZONTAL (which is actually 0)

- jeepcook - 2009-07-19

Ok thanks, I do not have svn installed on my computer and I really don't know how to do. So currently I can't try your fix.

I'm checking for the way to install svn.

- jeepcook - 2009-07-19

Finally, I've installed subversion, compilation is OK but if I try to go to http://serverip:9981/ I have a blank page ....

Edit: now it's OK, I have the web page !! scan is running !! I will back to you soon ..

- jeepcook - 2009-07-19

Good news Andoma !! You fixed it !! (svn r3162)

All is OK with my configuration, scan is completed with polarisation Horizontal AND Vertical !!

Great work

- patstew - 2009-07-22

Has anyone got any plans to make something to view the EPG and set recordings from within XBMC? If not, I may have a go myself. (Though I've never written anything for XBMC before, so it may take a while)

- jeepcook - 2009-07-22

ok now the 2.3 version work well. So is there a way to sort channel list in xbmc?

Thanks

Tvheadend 2.4 - andoma - 2009-07-26

Ok fellows,

2.4 is out. Just a minor bugfix release and a few new features.

Also, I now ship 64bit debian/ubuntu packages from the repository.

Changelog
---------------------------
* Due to a bug, the polarisation of DVB-S muxes was not correctly
stored internally. This has now been fixed.

* Fix compilation on 64bit systems

* Make sure channel <> service mappings are saved when edited from
DVB service grid

* Add support for merging one channel into another.
Useful if you have multiple providers offering the same DVB service
but with different names.

* The embedded HTTP server now logs failed requests

* Use absolute paths when serving static content (the web app itself)
This was only a problem when fork()ing a development build

* Rework the CWC reconnection strategy.
If there are active subscriptions, Tvheadend will attempt to reconnect
immediately and then retry every three seconds.
If no subscription is active a reconnection attempt is performed
every minute.
Also, if any CWC configuration changes are made from the UI, Tvheadend
will try to reconnect directly.

* If the EPG receives an updated description for an even that is shorter
than the current description it will be ignored.
This typically happens if the XMLTV and DVB EIT (Event Information Table)
differs. In other words, we assume that a longer description of an
event is better than a short.

- flobbes - 2009-07-26

What i great program, i managed to set up TV in xbmc within 15 minutes.

When I think how long i struggeled with mythTV and VDR.

What is the best way to sort the channels. I have several hundreds of channels.
Should i use the tags?

And UP and DOWN arent working, is it possible to switch channels without having to press STOP and select from the list again?

And the last question, Is there a chance set i might be possible to start records from within xbmc in future releases?

Thanks alot for this great program.

- jeepcook - 2009-07-27

Great !! thanks for 2.4 version.

I 'l like to sort channels, so I'm unable to find in the .hts directory the file or diorectory containing these channels .

- jeepcook - 2009-07-28

andoma Wrote:Ok fellows,

2.4 is out. Just a minor bugfix release and a few new features.

Also, I now ship 64bit debian/ubuntu packages from the repository.

Changelog
---------------------------
* Due to a bug, the polarisation of DVB-S muxes was not correctly
stored internally. This has now been fixed.

* Fix compilation on 64bit systems

* Make sure channel <> service mappings are saved when edited from
DVB service grid

* Add support for merging one channel into another.
Useful if you have multiple providers offering the same DVB service
but with different names.

* The embedded HTTP server now logs failed requests

* Use absolute paths when serving static content (the web app itself)
This was only a problem when fork()ing a development build

* Rework the CWC reconnection strategy.
If there are active subscriptions, Tvheadend will attempt to reconnect
immediately and then retry every three seconds.
If no subscription is active a reconnection attempt is performed
every minute.
Also, if any CWC configuration changes are made from the UI, Tvheadend
will try to reconnect directly.

* If the EPG receives an updated description for an even that is shorter
than the current description it will be ignored.
This typically happens if the XMLTV and DVB EIT (Event Information Table)
differs. In other words, we assume that a longer description of an
event is better than a short.

Hi Andoma,

I don't know which modifications you made beetwwen svn 3162 and 2.4 version. With this last one I have a big problem, Xmbc take a long time to do the connection and if i try to go to Live Channels menu, I stay on this menu.

The tvheadend log console display that:

Jul 28 15:45:58 htsp: 192.168.1.75: Welcomed client software: XBMC Media Center
Jul 28 15:47:28 htsp: 192.168.1.75 [ XBMC Media Center ]: Disconnected

So the connection take more than 30 seconds.

I don't have this bug with svn3162.

Thanks for your help !!

- ads_german - 2009-07-28

Quote:jeepcook: So the connection take more than 30 seconds.

I have noticed what i think may be the same issue since I updated by svn build of xbmc about 2 weeks ago. From clicking on the source for tvheadend until the menu showing live channel and tag listings appears takes around 15 seconds or more for me.

I updated tvheadend from version 2.2 to 2.3 at the same time so I'm not sure whether it was changes to xbmc or tvheadend that introduced the delay. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to investigate further and post a debug log yet...

I tried reinstalling tvheadend 2.2 but the same problem persisted. The reason I updated xbmc at the same time was that I noticed on trac that elupus had made some changes to xbmc to allow sorting by channel name instead of only by the tvheadend channel IDs. After the xbmc svn update i also noticed that when viewing the tv channels listing, when i access the xbmc skin options to sort the channels (using media stream redux), the options are to sort by track, album etc.

My initial thought was that with the recent changes to xbmc's tvheadend client code, maybe it was treating tvheadend streams as music streams and caching differently. I also noticed that when i press channel up/down on my remote the channels still change (almost) instantly but every so often when i change channels this way, the next channel has to buffer for around 15 seconds before displaying.

My next thought was to check the network caching options within xbmc system settings > cache, but it seems there is no longer an option to set the cache values in the linux port, or something is stopping the cache options from appearing on my installation...

I'll post a debug log tomorrow when i get a chance to test some more, but thought I would post this info now in the hope it might help pinpoint the issue that jeepcook also seems to be experiencing...

cheers,
adam.

- gerner - 2009-07-29

I'm really impressed by this and looking forward to getting working fully. Nice fast channel changes Smile

I have two problems:

1) I'm not getting any audio. I've tried tinkering with the settings in the audio hardware, I get sound for everything else but not for tvheadend.

I live in NZ and we use HE AAC which XBMC doesn't currently support out of the box - i've compiled a build following these instructions to get it working and can stream mythtv succesfully with audio.

Maybe I need to patch the configure of the ffmpeg used by tvheadend to use libfaad?

EDIT: I tweaked the ocnfigure script to enable libfaad in ffmpeg, still no luck though. Anyone have any ideas?

xbmc log on pastebin.

2) I'd like to set up xmtv in tvheadend but I use a custom grabber (from reven.co.nz). Is there anyway I can point tv headend to an xmltv.xml file?

TIA for any help, this is looking awesome so far.