Kodi Community Forum
[OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=51945)

- andoma - 2009-07-29

gerner Wrote:I'm really impressed by this and looking forward to getting working fully. Nice fast channel changes Smile

I have two problems:

1) I'm not getting any audio. I've tried tinkering with the settings in the audio hardware, I get sound for everything else but not for tvheadend.

I live in NZ and we use HE AAC which XBMC doesn't currently support out of the box - i've compiled a build following these instructions to get it working and can stream mythtv succesfully with audio.

Maybe I need to patch the configure of the ffmpeg used by tvheadend to use libfaad?

EDIT: I tweaked the ocnfigure script to enable libfaad in ffmpeg, still no luck though. Anyone have any ideas?

xbmc log on pastebin.

2) I'd like to set up xmtv in tvheadend but I use a custom grabber (from reven.co.nz). Is there anyway I can point tv headend to an xmltv.xml file?

TIA for any help, this is looking awesome so far.

1) Yes, Tvheadend does not support AAC at the moment.
It's partially there. If you press the (i) -icon in the DVB / services tab you'll see
(I hope) that Tvheadend detects audio as AAC.

I started to implement AAC LATM demultiplexing but apparently I was too lazy
to finish it. Now that I have users wanting it it's a bit more encouraging to fix though.

2) Not really, you could craft your own hack that just catConfused your xmltv.xml file to stdout:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ "x$1" = "x" ]; then
    cat /path/to/my/xmltv.xml
    exit 0
fi

case "$1" in
    --description)
    echo "My custom grabber"
    ;;
    --version)
    echo "1.0"
    ;;
    --capabilities)
    echo "baseline"
    ;;
esac

Put this file somewhere in $PATH or in
Code:
/bin
/usr/bin
/usr/local/bin
/usr/bin/perlbin/vendor

Remeber to make the file executable
Code:
chmod 755 tv_grab_custom

Important: The filename MUST start with tv_grab_ or Tvheadend won't even
try to pickup the grabber.

Let me know if you have any other questions

- gerner - 2009-07-30

Excellent, thanks andoma, I'll look forward to testing the AAC streams at some point. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

- ads_german - 2009-07-30

Here's a link to a debug log showing the issue i described in my last post: http://pastebin.com/m25f4e280

Tvheadend is on the same server as xbmc (Mythbuntu 9.04) and previously the channel listing would appear almost instantly when selecting the tvheadend source within the videos screen.

Now as the log shows, it takes around 30 seconds from selecting the source until the channel listing appears.

Has anyone else besides jeepcook noticed this issue?

Cheers,
Adam.

- megacrypto - 2009-07-30

I'm still unable to connect from within XBMC. Im running:
- xbmc 9.04.1 r20654
- tvheadend 2.4 from package

i can scan the channels alright from web-interface, and i tried all types of sources:
- htsp://user:pass@localhost:9982
- htsp://user:[email protected]:9982

none of them work ?!

- jeepcook - 2009-07-30

megacrypto Wrote:I'm still unable to connect from within XBMC. Im running:
- xbmc 9.04.1 r20654
- tvheadend 2.4 from package

i can scan the channels alright from web-interface, and i tried all types of sources:
- htsp://user:pass@localhost:9982

none of them work ?!

Do you have a connection error or do you have just the Live Channels Menu? I have this last one and no channel appears, I can't choose a channel because xbmc is unable to go after this menu ...

- megacrypto - 2009-07-30

i have a connection error ... xbmc does not want to add the source at all

i noticed that installing from package, i got the folder /home/hts created by user hts ... could that have anything to do with it?

- flobbes - 2009-08-02

Im getting a segmentation fault either when im running the files I compiled myself or when im trying the install from the repository.

Maybe its a problem with the newest kernel, because it worked like a charm before.

My Linux Version:
Linux xbmc 2.6.28-14-generic

- jeepcook - 2009-08-02

ads_german Wrote:Here's a link to a debug log showing the issue i described in my last post: http://pastebin.com/m25f4e280

Tvheadend is on the same server as xbmc (Mythbuntu 9.04) and previously the channel listing would appear almost instantly when selecting the tvheadend source within the videos screen.

Now as the log shows, it takes around 30 seconds from selecting the source until the channel listing appears.

Has anyone else besides jeepcook noticed this issue?

Cheers,
Adam.

It seems that no ticket has been opened yet ...
http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=closed&status=new&status=reopened&group=status&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=type&col=priority&col=component&milestone=Tvheadend-2.4&report=11

- jstew - 2009-08-02

This is the coolest thing I've seen in the Linux pvr scene in a long time. Any plans on adding ATSC support?

- flobbes - 2009-08-03

Booted the old 2.6.28-13 kernel and there it still works.

- andoma - 2009-08-03

jstew Wrote:This is the coolest thing I've seen in the Linux pvr scene in a long time. Any plans on adding ATSC support?

The lead developer (me) does not have access to any ATSC hardware or networks.
So probably someone will have to come up with patches for it.

It should not be that hard.

- deejayre - 2009-08-03

I get a connection error in xbmc, it sais the stream is not availeble.

In my web browsercontrol of TvHeadend in the log it seems xbmc tries to connect and immediatly disconnects the client agian.

At the moment i haven't connected a dvb-t antenna so it does not show any channels or services.

If there are no channels availeble does TvHeadend automaticly disconnect?

- andoma - 2009-08-03

flobbes Wrote:Booted the old 2.6.28-13 kernel and there it still works.

There is a bug in tvheadend 2.4 that causes it to segfault if a DVB device that has previously been detected (ie. there are related configuration settings stored) no longer
is available.

This has been fixed in trunk.

Perhaps your adapter is not correctly detected with -14? Modules lacking?

I will test on a 2.6.28-14 kernel later today with my DVB adapters (I have none where
I currently am) just to verify that there is not a general problem.

- andoma - 2009-08-03

jeepcook Wrote:It seems that no ticket has been opened yet ...
http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=closed&status=new&status=reopened&group=status&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=type&col=priority&col=component&milestone=Tvheadend-2.4&report=11

Unless someone can track this down to the exact version of tvheadend that broke I guess i'll have to setup XBMC myself and test.

- andoma - 2009-08-03

andoma Wrote:The lead developer (me) does not have access to any ATSC hardware or networks.
So probably someone will have to come up with patches for it.

It should not be that hard.

Oh, If someone with DVB-S2 hardware or ATSC hardware is willing to lend me
shell access to a machine I'd be happy to implement support for it.

Just "dry-coding" never really works for me and it will take far too long to bounce
patches back and forth. Especially to the US.