Kodi Community Forum
[OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=51945)

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-18

My testing ppa now contains a backport of the pvr functionality into dharma. Please note that this is experimental and unsupported. I'll keep it synced with dharma until dharma is fully released and merged into trunk. After that I'll update my ppa again with the latest trunk builds.

edit:
builds for maverick have been added. I don't run maverick so I haven't tested those.

Cutting / Cropping under Linux? - mikey79 - 2010-10-19

Hey guys!

Does anybody of you know a tool under Linuxm to cut/crop tvheadend's recordings without neither transcoding / changing the container before or transcoding afterwards? I know of ProjectX, but I don't want to split the recording first and avidemux does not support the audio track (?).
There has to be one, anybody knows any help please?

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-20

mikey79 Wrote:Hey guys!

Does anybody of you know a tool under Linuxm to cut/crop tvheadend's recordings without neither transcoding / changing the container before or transcoding afterwards? I know of ProjectX, but I don't want to split the recording first and avidemux does not support the audio track (?).
There has to be one, anybody knows any help please?
I recommend you try #hts on irc for questions like these.

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-20

I tested the new build of Dharma + PVR for a while now and I don't experience any issues (other then the few problems with the PVR functionality that are in pvr-testing2 too). I copied the packages to my main PPA: https://launchpad.net/~lars-opdenkamp/+archive/xbmc-diskless

I'll only put tested packages in there now. The experimental (more or less daily) builds will go to https://launchpad.net/~lars-opdenkamp/+archive/xbmc-diskless-test

Builds are there for Ubuntu lucid and maverick. If you need some other version, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

- Schumi - 2010-10-21

Thank you dushmaniac for maverick. I'm installing now.

- martdj - 2010-10-21

Andoma has been submitting some suggested patches, but so far not the ones of dushmaniac. I saw you were on the irc forum, dushmaniac. Have you any idea if andoma is going to implement your patches in his trunk anytime soon? I'd rather build a new version of TV Headend the usual way than having to implement your patches separately, as I don'n actually know how to do that.

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-21

no problem. please let me know if there are any problems, since I'm not running maverick on any machine.

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-21

martdj Wrote:Andoma has been submitting some suggested patches, but so far not the ones of dushmaniac. I saw you were on the irc forum, dushmaniac. Have you any idea if andoma is going to implement your patches in his trunk anytime soon? I'd rather build a new version of TV Headend the usual way than having to implement your patches separately, as I don'n actually know how to do that.
He will apply those patches or let me know if it's not ok. Just have a bit of patience or use the ppa builds from my signature. No need to manually patch or build anything.

If you want to build your own packages with those patches because you're not running ubuntu, it's not hard either:
Code:
cd /tmp
# download the patches
wget http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/raw-attachment/ticket/299/00-tvheadend-add-caid-to-channel.patch
wget http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/raw-attachment/ticket/300/0002-add-signal-status-in-HTSP.patch
# get the latest tvheadend source
svn co svn://svn.lonelycoder.com/hts/trunk/tvheadend /usr/src/tvheadend
# apply the patches
cd /usr/src/tvheadend
cat /tmp/00-tvheadend-add-caid-to-channel.patch | patch -p1
cat /tmp/0002-add-signal-status-in-HTSP.patch | patch -p1
# build tvheadend
./configure
make install

I haven't tested these instructions above but this should work. If it doesn't, let me know or contact me on irc.

If you don't have wget, use any other program to download those patches and put them in /tmp. You can test if the patches apply cleanly by using "patch -p1 --dry-run" before actually patching the files.

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-22

I'm moving the XBMC builds on my diskless PPA to a newly created PPA because it interfered with the diskless installer.

My signature contains the updated PPA locations.

edit:
the patched tvheadend build is moved to the new PPA too.

- elgoretto - 2010-10-22

dushmaniac Wrote:did you get the source directly from svn? if so, the tvheadend addon there is broken. there are patches posted that fix the channel bug a few posts back.

you could also try my ppa build that already includes those patches

Damned, I totally missed that too, I was unsuccessfully trying to get tvheadend and pvr2-testing svn branch work together for weeks (on Gentoo Linux).
Gggnnnnniiiihhhhh. Confused

Without this to be any criticism, but for my own knowledge, why is there so many differences between you package (which so many ubuntu users find great) and official sources? Is there some heavy procedures before a submitted patch to be accepted upstream?

- dubstar_04 - 2010-10-22

could someone give me a rundown of what is working for the tvheadend addon?

I am going to my mates tomorrow to install a tv card and set up a tv backend and i am wondering if the tvheadend addon is more developed than the vdr one?

This is a list of the required features:

live tv
tv guide
tv scheduling
recorded tv playback
recorded tv deletion
search and schedule

do all these work for tvheadend?

thanks,

dubstar_04

- petie74 - 2010-10-22

Great news, just build from svn build 5496 and the analog PVR "Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE" seems to function with sound again. I still have some jitter/stuttering but might be my system.Big Grin

- RoboSK - 2010-10-22

petie74: if you still have problems with PVR then try svn:4944 ... it works 100% - with some patch Smile

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-23

elgoretto Wrote:Without this to be any criticism, but for my own knowledge, why is there so many differences between you package (which so many ubuntu users find great) and official sources? Is there some heavy procedures before a submitted patch to be accepted upstream?
Because it's a different development branch (Dharma) than pvr-testing2, it's different on quite a few points. What I did was merging the pvr specific functionality back into trunk and backport that to Dharma.

If it will be merged by the devs, it will be after Dharma is merged back to trunk. Dharma is still in beta, so not ready to be merged back. This is a normal way of doing software development, no "heavy procedures".

dubstar_04 Wrote:live tv -> yes
tv guide -> yes
tv scheduling -> with patches
recorded tv playback -> yes
recorded tv deletion -> with patches
search and schedule -> not tested but should work too with patches
a version containing those patches can be found in my signature.

- outleradam - 2010-10-23

Apparently my hdhomerun now works. I can start with translating guide data into season/episodes, movie/year, and the rest of the features mythicalLibrarian offers. I use filename and get the rest of the required guide data from that. It provides a backup and total import for XBMC.

Quick question, how stable is the recorded database schema, or is there an API in place for communications?

Also, will tvheadend support following symlinks when deleting/serving files?