Kodi Community Forum
[OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=51945)

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-29

xoox Wrote:This seems to be a tvheadend issue. I just upgraded my tvheadend server from r4294 to r5531 and also got this "error" without changing the xbmc version. There must have been a change by andoma which causes this problem...

EDIT: Perhaps related to http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/changeset/5318
could be, I'll probably check this issue next week end.

- Ruud - 2010-10-29

dushmaniac Wrote:the addon only uses an offset if tvheadend tells it to use an offset via http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/wiki/htsp#getSysTime

according to http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/wiki/htsp#getEvent the EPG times are reported in UTC. the offset that is reported is added to the start and end time of the entry, which results in the local time.

I can't think of any reason for this to fail, except for a wrongly configured time or timezone somewhere. Check these (again):
- system timezone setting
- system time
- xbmc timezone setting
- is tvheadend reporting the correct time
- if you're using showtime, does that display the correct time?

Hi,

had some time issues on my server and mocked up this document.... maybe it helps to set things right or to troubleshoot: Date and Time explanation
regards,
Ruud.

Got EPG working - druggo - 2010-10-29

Hi,

I had success in getting the EPG to match. i was running of the pvr2-testing branch earlier, and with a month old tvheadend svn..

Make sure both frontend and backend is in same timezone!

Tip: setup ntpd on your backend and have the client sync to it. Dont forget to sync your backend to a ntp server Smile

Instructions:
1. Grab dushmaniacs Dharma-pvr-branch of xbmc from his git.
Code:
$ git clone git://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc.git
$ cd xbmc
# change to Dharma-pvr branch
$ git checkout Dharma-pvr
# compile
$ ./bootstrap && ./configure (your opts here) && make
install...

2. Upgrade to tvheadend >= r5538
Apply the patches from within xbmc/pvrclients/tvheadend/patches (my addSignalQuality patch failed, because its already included in tvheadend)

Thats all i did, now it works for me. I hope it works for you.

Br
toxster @ freenode

- martdj - 2010-10-29

I currently have the problem with one channel in my TV Headend/XBMC combo that it only plays sound. For the Dutch Ziggo users here, it's Nickelodeon/Comedy Central. Could you please test if you have the same problem?

Then something slightly offtopic. I would like to try out dushmaniacs xbmc version, but for that past 8 months I haven't dared touching my XBMC installation as it has been running very smoothly. regretfully when I installed it there was a lot of trial and error and I didn't keep notes on how I managed to get my VFD display, suspend, remote and auto-start of XBMC working and how I managed to have the DVD drive unlocked and silenced. I even don't remember if I created the NFS share to my media folder on my homeserver. How do you guys create a new build to test? Do you start from scratch or do you have an image/manual to work from? Do you use Ubuntu Minimal? Lucid or Maverick? 32 or 64 bits?

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-29

glad it works toxster Smile

martdj Wrote:I currently have the problem with one channel in my TV Headend/XBMC combo that it only plays sound. For the Dutch Ziggo users here, it's Nickelodeon/Comedy Central. Could you please test if you have the same problem?
I'll check it out tonight, but that channel worked fine for me before. Are you running the latest versions of all software?

Quote:Then something slightly offtopic. I would like to try out dushmaniacs xbmc version, but for that past 8 months I haven't dared touching my XBMC installation as it has been running very smoothly. regretfully when I installed it there was a lot of trial and error and I didn't keep notes on how I managed to get my VFD display, suspend, remote and auto-start of XBMC working and how I managed to have the DVD drive unlocked and silenced. I even don't remember if I created the NFS share to my media folder on my homeserver
backup your .xbmc folder, remove the previous xbmc, install the new one and have fun testing. if it doesn't work as expected, install the previous xbmc version and restore the .xbmc folder.

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-29

druggo Wrote:2. Upgrade to tvheadend >= r5538
Apply the patches from within xbmc/pvrclients/tvheadend/patches (my addSignalQuality patch failed, because its already included in tvheadend
unless I missed something, that patch hasn't been included in tvheadend (yet). ticket #300 is also still open: http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/ticket/300

- martdj - 2010-10-29

dushmaniac Wrote:glad it works toxster Smile

I'll check it out tonight, but that channel worked fine for me before. Are you running the latest versions of all software?.
TV Headend r5538 with your patches. It worked for me before too. Noticed only Wednessday that I lost the video and only received sound. I was running r49xx at that time. Updating didn't fix it.

dushmaniac Wrote:backup your .xbmc folder, remove the previous xbmc, install the new one and have fun testing. if it doesn't work as expected, install the previous xbmc version and restore the .xbmc folder.

Do you mean .xbmc folder in the home folder? I also have xbmc stuff in /var/lib, /usr/share and some other locations...

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-29

martdj Wrote:TV Headend r5538 with your patches. It worked for me before too. Noticed only Wednessday that I lost the video and only received sound. I was running r49xx at that time. Updating didn't fix it.
I'll check that channel tonight. Could you check the xbmc debug log and tvheadend log and pastebin that somewhere?

Quote:Do you mean .xbmc folder in the home folder? I also have xbmc stuff in /var/lib, /usr/share and some other locations...
just the one from your home folder, unless you put something in the other locations yourself (which you shouldn't)

- CrashX - 2010-10-29

dushmaniac Wrote:All the changes can be found there. I recommend you take the Dharma-pvr branch there, not master/trunk.

Are you using on branch or the trunk for you testing ?
Do you have signal quality information in xbmc ?
I am trying automatically run tvheadend at startup on Ubuntu 10.10 using this init script ( http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/browser/trunk/tvheadend/debian/hts-tvheadend.tvheadend.init ) but it doesn't work ? If I manually execute it, it starts up fine ? Any ideas ? I noticed that in runs as root not user ?

- opdenkamp - 2010-10-29

CrashX Wrote:Are you using on branch or the trunk for you testing ?
what do you want to test? do you just want to watch tv from within xbmc or do you want to do some code and test that?
Quote:Do you have signal quality information in xbmc ?
yes
Quote:I am trying automatically run tvheadend at startup on Ubuntu 10.10 using this init script ( http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/browser/trunk/tvheadend/debian/hts-tvheadend.tvheadend.init ) but it doesn't work ? If I manually execute it, it starts up fine ? Any ideas ? I noticed that in runs as root not user ?
the init script is in the prepackaged version too and if you use that, it'll be added automatically. you can also add it manually, but I'm not going to support that (hint: "man update-rc.d")

- Ruud - 2010-10-29

martdj Wrote:I currently have the problem with one channel in my TV Headend/XBMC combo that it only plays sound. For the Dutch Ziggo users here, it's Nickelodeon/Comedy Central. Could you please test if you have the same problem

Hi,

works here (Dutch Ziggo user)

regards,
Ruud.

- zyxel13 - 2010-10-29

Thankyou dushmaniac,

removing the old addon database did the trick, now i ca enable the hts plugin.

Thankyou,
Konstantin

zyxel13 Wrote:Hello dushmaniac,

I have Installed XBMC Freaks B3 Live CD and added your pvr testing branch
doing :

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list.list
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc-svn.list.list

sudo apt-get remove -y xbmc xbmc-bin xbmc-data xbmc-skin-confluence

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config -y

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:lars-opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-live

All the deinstallation and the Isntallation of your version works fine, I see TV Settings, the pvr client addons , xbmx works fine , But i cant enable the hts plugin...when trying to enable, nothing happens...same happens w all other PVR plugins. Other plugins , Executors 4 ex, are no prob to enable/disable

When i use Gujs ppa i can enable the hts plugin and IPTV works, but xbmc uses in idle mode 100% cpu......

Is there anything i missed ro install ?, I checked at the addon folder in the hts pluging, but i don't see any .py files...

Thankyou in Advance,
Cheers,
Konstantin

- martdj - 2010-10-30

Ruud Wrote:Hi,

works here (Dutch Ziggo user)

regards,
Ruud.
Thanks. I've removed all multiplexes from both my adapters and let TVHeadend add them again and that did the trick. Just had something weird going on there.

- moontan77 - 2010-10-30

mw0208 Wrote:Just a quick question moontan77. Did you or anybody else solved this problem. I have a s2-3600 as well and got the same errors.

seemed ok with karmic, but getting an awful lot of continuity counter errors now with lucid.

Just made me remember why i was using karmic in the first place. Lucid makes the s2-3600 completely unusable as recordings skip every minutes Sad

edit: seems like lucid or maverick do not support two technotrend s2-3600 tuners being used at the same time. This worked fine with karmic. Nightmare now having to install everything after having a perfect setup last week! And the only reason I updated to lucid was because I was getting dts discontinuity errors which now i think was just being caused by having idle scanning enabled on all 4 of my tuners Sad

- Ruud - 2010-10-31

Hi,

just upgraded to a new version that is (Beta 4), thanks for that! is it only the beta4 part or are there also specific plugin changes in it?

Just this night my systems switched to DST (Daylight Savings Time). Times are in sync on both my server and my clients.
EPG on tvheadend server is displaying the correct start times, but on my XBMX client they are not.

tried to delete the EPG data, new data is loaded from server but still all programs start -1 hour.
tried to disable the TV plugin and re-enabling it, also to no avail....

So I am running out of all the tricks I tried last time Sad

Anyone else seeing this or has this fixed?

regards,
Ruud.